A possible way to breathe new life into the community, or to just have fun with the existing members

Monthly online event  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be interested in a mothly story-driven online-battle event?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe. I'll have to see how it's implemented

So, I'm somewhat involved with the reddit Mount and Blade community, and the guys there have a monthly (or bi-monthly) online event called Calradic Campaign. The gist of it is that each month or two, the event's moderators launch a series of online battles that are supposed to emulate the conquest of a region in the game-world. The event is story driven, which is arguably it's biggest appeal.

I figured the community here could do something similar, since we've actually got a ton of maps and models and skins. It might attract new members if advertised properly, or at least make the current members more engaged. I mean, many people on here already play JAMP, so it kinda makes sense.

We just need to set up the ground rules, stuff like what period the campaign will taking place in, what sides will be involved, what the rules of engagement are (in Calradic Campaing, each battle follows a 'best out of 3' principle). For example, in MnB there are 'field' battles, and 'castle' battles. Field battles are pretty much like team deathmatch whereas castle battles are sieges. For a similar event in JAMP we could go with space battles then ground battles, or several ground battles in a row, since flying vehicles kinda suck in the engine. Maybe even sieges could work, since 'siege' is literally a game mode in multiplayer (though we could emulate a siege in TFFA).

Discuss.

Merek and Raisinbrand like this
  • 3 weeks later...
On 10/5/2020 at 12:08 AM, the_raven said:

So, I'm somewhat involved with the reddit Mount and Blade community, and the guys there have a monthly (or bi-monthly) online event called Calradic Campaign. The gist of it is that each month or two, the event's moderators launch a series of online battles that are supposed to emulate the conquest of a region in the game-world. The event is story driven, which is arguably it's biggest appeal.

I figured the community here could do something similar, since we've actually got a ton of maps and models and skins. It might attract new members if advertised properly, or at least make the current members more engaged. I mean, many people on here already play JAMP, so it kinda makes sense.

We just need to set up the ground rules, stuff like what period the campaign will taking place in, what sides will be involved, what the rules of engagement are (in Calradic Campaing, each battle follows a 'best out of 3' principle). For example, in MnB there are 'field' battles, and 'castle' battles. Field battles are pretty much like team deathmatch whereas castle battles are sieges. For a similar event in JAMP we could go with space battles then ground battles, or several ground battles in a row, since flying vehicles kinda suck in the engine. Maybe even sieges could work, since 'siege' is literally a game mode in multiplayer (though we could emulate a siege in TFFA).

Discuss.

I've been wanting to get back into this game for years now, it's one of my favorite games of all time. The sad truth is there have been many attempts at a Community Revival and they have all ended in failure because nobody is interested in playing a game that was released in 2003 when they have other options. Most of my friends with whom I enjoyed many hundreds of hours playing this game with have moved on and no longer care about it, forcing me to reluctantly move on as well because everyone knows there is nothing more boring than playing a multiplayer game alone.

3 hours ago, Merek said:

I've been wanting to get back into this game for years now, it's one of my favorite games of all time. The sad truth is there have been many attempts at a Community Revival and they have all ended in failure because nobody is interested in playing a game that was released in 2003 when they have other options. Most of my friends with whom I enjoyed many hundreds of hours playing this game with have moved on and no longer care about it, forcing me to reluctantly move on as well because everyone knows there is nothing more boring than playing a multiplayer game alone.

There are still communities around that absolutely thrive on a daily basis though, as if it was 2003 all over again. Not as many communities as then yes, but we still exist.

the_raven, Merek and OCD2 like this
16 minutes ago, Aldro Koon said:

There are still communities around that absolutely thrive on a daily basis though, as if it was 2003 all over again. Not as many communities as then yes, but we still exist.

I'm surprised to hear that, as I've been out of the game since 2017. I was a heavy mod collector back in the day, and I miss those days more than anything. Maybe I'll stick around this time ?

the_raven, Aldro Koon and Jeff like this
On 10/5/2020 at 4:08 AM, the_raven said:

Discuss.

A space battle can work if you use a map like siege_destroyer. It's one of my favorites and playing it even with 8 people is fun as hell. 

I'd be interested in playing an event like this, but you've got to schedule properly like the people at JKGalaxies do. Even use a time counter so that people know exactly when the event will be. Make a discord channel, let people interested in it join  and announce it there and tag people when the date is near and also when the event starts. If I'm home I'll when you do it, I'll certainly be there.