Bring JKJA To Life

This is an original (back when the game was relatively new and much more popular- not that I play it now) player. I really would like to maybe one day play this game again. I moved on to strictly Xbox as my platform for gaming. However I still have great memories of this game and was just thinking if Lucas Arts remade or could just publish an Xbox variance of the Jedi Knight Jedi Academy game then I would be one of the first to buy it if that means anything. I could even provide ideas for button layout but I think that it would be possible just as it was done on the pc. Maybe I could even see some of the other originals show out from the American servers and we could all reunite. 

Smoo likes this

They just re-released both JK2 and JKA on Nintendo Switch and PS4 earlier this year. The reason they didn't publish it on Xbox was because it's already backwards compatible with the original Xbox version. That doesn't mean there isn't hope for a modern Xbox port like they did on the other consoles though. Anything is possible.

You can play these games on super low end computers and laptops though, so it's recommended to just do that. Hell, I could sell you a used laptop or desktop for cheap if you wanted one just for JKA. If you're not wanting a computer then a Switch would be the next best cheap option to play it.

19 hours ago, Original Gamer said:

With the original Xbox version how is online play comparable to pc? Are there American servers? And are these servers shared with other Xbox connections?

The original Xbox version doesn't have online anymore, as those original Xbox servers were shut down over a decade ago. That's why it's best to just look elsewhere for your JKA fix.

15 hours ago, Original Gamer said:

Good to know. Have they updated the game at all? Such as any new third party downloads? Enhance the graphics, or any new levels? Again, last I was active on the game was around 2005-2006. I’m curious.

As in the developers? No. That wasn’t very common for games in that era. The source code was officially leaked back in 2012 however, so lots of new mod projects have sparked from that.

The modding community has done a ton of work since then though, just take a look around the Files section here and the other forums sections. That’s the main purpose of this website, is for modders to share and find help.

1 hour ago, Original Gamer said:

Very cool. I was into customized saber colors, saw a 28 saber color file lol. I saw yours, didn’t used to be able to have a staff and duel saber that’s a good idea. Even back in 05, 06 there was already tons of tricked out mods. 

Yeah man. I started playing in 05 and got heavily into modding. Back then was the golden age but now there is so much cool stuff out there. With the source code, anything is possible, essentially.

2 hours ago, Original Gamer said:

That’s awesome what was your tag? It was. What’s the source code? I never got too into downloads because of the virus risk. I was into coding for keys.

The source code is what makes up the inner workings of the game, and allows us to essentially edit to however we want to. OpenJK is the main project that spawned from that, which aims to fix a lot of bugs and help modernize the game a bit. Though it hasn't been worked on much over the last couple of years. However for multiplayer, EternalJK is probably the most popular project because it adds a lot of features as well as fixes bugs. If you get back into the game, I highly recommend downloading that to use as your exe file.

• 3 months later...

I do quite miss this game, spent many hours after class hanging out with my, now retired, clan The Exiled Knights. Made lots of good friends, praying one day either a remaster or a new Jedi Knight game releases. Would love to see the community back to how it was years ago. To anyone from EK reading this. I miss you, hit an old man up and say hi. Much love everyone, might pop into a server once and a while. Have a good one!