Star Wars Jedi Knight series level editor downloads

I' m not sure if this is the right place to ask, but without hassle. I'm looking for the latest Star Wars Dark Forces, Jedi Knight Dark Forces 2, Mysteries of the Sith, Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy level editor downloads so I can create my own levels, but I'm afraid of looking for the wrong ones since they are multiple versions of them. To make things easier, feel free to post them here as download links and also include the installation guides as well so, I won't run into any problems. I'm new here, so I don't know who to ask or what to do. Thanks and May the Force be with you!

17 minutes ago, NAB622 said:

Personally, I do not recommend Radiant 1.5, as there are a few very serious bugs, one of which can confuse the heck out of newbies. Radiant 1.4 and 1.6 are both good, though.

Radiant 1.6 can be found here:

https://icculus.org/gtkradiant/downloads.html

1.6 was cancer to me, there's so many missing features that I can't fathom how it is actually called 1.6. The G-Wing map we released was made with 1.6 and it made me want to hang myself. Never again, lol.

I never had bugs with 1.5 except on certain .map files for some reason. But once it actually works to use, it's so much better IMO.

z3filus likes this

Thank you guys very much for the info. I just got GTK Radiant version 1.6 It works fine for me without any bugs or issues. I guess depending on your hardware, it can affect you if your computer doesn't mean the system requirements. As for the ZED level editor for both Jedi Knight Dark Forces 2 and Mysteries of the Sith, I was able to get it working as well. For Dark Forces, the program to create levels and mods is called WEDIT, it works good, but because it's such an old game. It may be difficult to create levels and mods for the original Dark Forces game because the way it looks and how it's set up. Looks outdated, in other words.

On 6/28/2020 at 6:45 AM, Aldro Koon said:

1.6 was cancer to me, there's so many missing features that I can't fathom how it is actually called 1.6. The G-Wing map we released was made with 1.6 and it made me want to hang myself. Never again, lol.

I never had bugs with 1.5 except on certain .map files for some reason. But once it actually works to use, it's so much better IMO.

Not to derail the thread - but I'm honestly curious, and since this was a hot topic on filefront back in the day, I figure some civil discourse may be helpful.

Specifically what is missing in Radiant 1.6? I think the free rotate tool was missing, but was there anything else? I never really used 1.5 much. I think the vertex editor in 1.5 was also a bit better than 1.4, but just barely. It's still the buggiest thing in 1.4, 1.5 and 1.6.

My primary issue with Radiant 1.5 is that it is bugged and can create brushless entities in the map, and the user won't know until they have already compiled it, which is frustrating and a total waste of time (Back in the day, compiles took hours). Here's a screenshot of it from years ago:

sv_setbrushmodel_null_fix.JPG

When this occurs and the map is loaded in-game, the user will get the error sv_setBrushModel: null. To a newbie, it's very confusing, especially since they didn't actually do anything wrong most of the time. I couldn't even tell you how many times on the Filefront forums I had to tell people this, it truly was that common. There were also reports of 1.5 corrupting map files as well, although I don't recall if those were confirmed or not. In general, though, I had a truly awful experience with it when it first came out, and reverted back to 1.4 within just a few days.

Aldro Koon and z3filus like this

I personally prefer to use 1.5 for that very reason: vertex manipulation is painful in 1.4 and 1.6. Also, I remember trying 1.3.12 (I believe) once, and I absolutely despised that you basically couldn't scale groups of models as you easily can in 1.5 - not even sure if they were scaled at all. On the other hand, I rarely use one of the latest Radiant versions because (unlike 1.5 - and that's my only gripe with it really) it allows very large maps - 1.5 cuts them off at about +/- 32000 units from the center.

As for invisible brushes, I did fall for them a few times in the past, but it's an easy fix once you get the hang of it.

NAB622 likes this

The issues I had with 1.6 are the following:

- You can't input textures manually in the surface inspector by typing the texture name. You had to manually search and find them from the big dropdown list and then select the texture you want by scrolling around. Horrible and takes a ton of time to find the particular texture you want.

- Mirroring textures by simply doing a negative or positive next to horizontal or vertical stretch and then pressing FIT or NATURAL would forget the shift I previously made. Doing it the opposite way would completely disregard the other properties of FIT or NATURAL. Thus I had to manually shift every single texture on my own and manually resize them by clicking on the arrows. Then sometimes when I accidentally pressed S as a way to minimize the surface inspector --> It forgot all of my progress and I had to redo this process. At one point I started almost crying. S used to close the inspector without losing any progress in 1.5 whereas with 1.6 it's like a cancel button. Or rather, 1.5 doesn't really have a confirm button. It's always confirming but with 1.6, they for some reason want you to confirm your changes. It's hard to explain with words exactly how inconsistent and messy the surface inspector is when you are trying to fix an image. But it was absolutely horrendous and made the final result be inconsistent in the end. At one point, I even decided to make a texture file be mirrored to save myself the pain. That's how atrocious it was.

- Dragging items halfway across the map using the grid was far more tricky as the mouse wouldn't properly register my click as I needed to zoom in a lot to be able to click inside of it. This made moving an item halfway across the map a long and tedious project due to how large my map is.

- Free rotate tool is missing and the vertex stuff was also annoying.

- Clicking on multiple lights will display these big ass white balls that completely cover the camera and make you unable to see ANYTHING. What the actual hell? I had to almost guess where the next light was at times lmao. Maybe there's a way to turn off that huge radius thing but I couldn't find it. I know it was possible to do in 1.5 (although there it never actually blocked my vision, it simply became transparent if I recall right).

I think there's more that I am forgetting about now but yeah.

I have gotten the SV_Brushmodel: Null issue on 1.5 but it is so easy to fix that it's hardly a problem.
1.5 was far better and more consistent for me, personally. 1.6 made me want to legit hang myself.
It really felt like a downgrade. I still don't understand how it's called 1.6.
At times I wonder if my version had a virus or something because of how dreadful this all was.

I even had @Milamber try to help me out with something and this was his response from our chat conversation:

(23:33:49) Milamber: im getting so annoyed at this shit
(23:33:59) Milamber: i wondered if it was a gtkradiant 1.6 issue
(23:34:04) Milamber: so i got 1.5 but it happens there though
(23:34:18) Milamber: but wow 1.5 feels like the more complete version xD
(23:34:22) Aldro: I KNOW RIGHT

(23:34:24) Milamber: just the gui etc looks nicer
(23:34:31) Aldro: really dont understand how
(23:34:33) Aldro: it could go backwards like this
(23:34:34) Milamber: the camera controls felt a bit worse but other than that, yeah

NAB622 likes this
On 7/1/2020 at 12:16 PM, Aldro Koon said:

You can't input textures manually in the surface inspector by typing the texture name. You had to manually search and find them from the big dropdown list and then select the texture you want by scrolling around. Horrible and takes a ton of time to find the particular texture you want.

Just tested it on my end, and I do not have this issue..? Also, the Texture subsets feature in Radiant will eliminate texture hunting entirely. Very very useful. I don't recall if 1.5 has that or not, but 1.4 and 1.6 do. Make sure you turn that on, it's amazing.

Mirroring textures by simply doing a negative or positive next to horizontal or vertical stretch and then pressing FIT or NATURAL would forget the shift I previously made. Doing it the opposite way would completely disregard the other properties of FIT or NATURAL. Thus I had to manually shift every single texture on my own and manually resize them by clicking on the arrows. Then sometimes when I accidentally pressed S as a way to minimize the surface inspector --> It forgot all of my progress and I had to redo this process. At one point I started almost crying. S used to close the inspector without losing any progress in 1.5 whereas with 1.6 it's like a cancel button. Or rather, 1.5 doesn't really have a confirm button. It's always confirming but with 1.6, they for some reason want you to confirm your changes. It's hard to explain with words exactly how inconsistent and messy the surface inspector is when you are trying to fix an image. But it was absolutely horrendous and made the final result be inconsistent in the end. At one point, I even decided to make a texture file be mirrored to save myself the pain. That's how atrocious it was.

Are you sure you aren't talking about the patch inspector..? The "Fit" and "Natural" buttons are only in the patch inspector. And as far as I know, the patch inspector always was always a bugged up mess - are you saying that in 1.5 the patch inspector works better? Or, if you did mean the surface inspector, maybe caps lock was on (Pressing any keys, including numbers, while caps lock is pressed, will make Radiant misbehave and bring up the wrong stuff)?

Dragging items halfway across the map using the grid was far more tricky as the mouse wouldn't properly register my click as I needed to zoom in a lot to be able to click inside of it. This made moving an item halfway across the map a long and tedious project due to how large my map is.

Strange. Never heard that one before.

Free rotate tool is missing and the vertex stuff was also annoying.

I couldn't tell you how many times I crashed all versions of Radiant making cave prefabs a long time ago, all through vertex edits. Someone needs to fix that. I even used Radiant 1.5 because of the free rotate tool, it was the only time I ever used it for something. :lol:

Clicking on multiple lights will display these big ass white balls that completely cover the camera and make you unable to see ANYTHING. What the actual hell? I had to almost guess where the next light was at times lmao. Maybe there's a way to turn off that huge radius thing but I couldn't find it. I know it was possible to do in 1.5 (although there it never actually blocked my vision, it simply became transparent if I recall right).

That's.....interesting........sounds like a video bug. 1.3 through 1.6 all render lights the same. Not sure if that's the program or something else.

Now, to be fair here, I'm running Linux and also a custom version of Radiant 1.6 with a few really annoying bugs fixed - but none of them have been brought up here. It's also entirely possible I'm running a newer version overall. But the way you've described it.....something about the program or your computer definitely was not behaving right. o.0

Edit: Also - the reason Radiant 1.6 looks and behaves the way it does, it because when 1.5 was released there was massive backlash from the community. 1.6 is based off the 1.4 source code, so there are missing features (Free rotate) and some bugs from 1.4 returned. Radiant 1.5 is an only child, so to speak.

On 7/3/2020 at 1:57 AM, NAB622 said:

Now, to be fair here, I'm running Linux and also a custom version of Radiant 1.6 with a few really annoying bugs fixed - but none of them have been brought up here. It's also entirely possible I'm running a newer version overall. But the way you've described it.....something about the program or your computer definitely was not behaving right. o.0

No idea, I was using this on Windows 10:

And I was referring to the S key in regards to surface inspector. And the FIT / NATURAL are a part of the Texturing settings.

This is 1.5 => You can type and assign a texture simply by giving the path here
4341867a63.png

Pressing Axial, Natural or Fit saves the changes, and then you can just add a minus or plus on horizontal stretch to flip a texture. It remains perfect that way.

This is 1.6 => You can type here too but it is useless as you can't assign the texture through path
595844bedf.png

Pressing fit or axial here and apply will save it. There isn't even a natural here, wow. Add that to the list of missing shit. 
Then when you try to flip it by adding a minus or plus to horizontal scale, it forgets everything prior.
Press fit again and the minus/plus goes away.
It's horrible, you have like no control at all and have to manually align every single brush on your own.

No idea what that texture subsets are but maybe that explains why this shit is lacking so much.

The build of Radiant I'm using was forked from Radiant 1.6.6, if that's worth anything. I doubt they fixed many bugs between 1.6.4 and 1.6.6, but there is a small version difference there.

17 hours ago, Aldro Koon said:

This is 1.5 => You can type and assign a texture simply by giving the path here

In Radiant 1.4 and 1.6 it also accepts paths there - once you press enter, the texture loads. Odd that it's misbehaving for you. Just tested it again on my end and it works as it should. One could argue that you shouldn't have to press enter for that, and I would agree, but that's just how it was programmed.

Pressing Axial, Natural or Fit saves the changes, and then you can just add a minus or plus on horizontal stretch to flip a texture. It remains perfect that way.

Yeah, that was actually another thing I didn't like about 1.5...they mashed the surface inspector and the patch inspector together as one thing, and it makes the interface too busy. The Natural button was supposed to be for patches only. I'm not saying that there shouldn't be one for brushes, but it clearly was not intended for them.

Then when you try to flip it by adding a minus or plus to horizontal scale, it forgets everything prior.

Yeah, that's definitely a bug, and it wasn't present in 1.4 IIRC. Interesting.

No idea what that texture subsets are but maybe that explains why this shit is lacking so much.

When texture subsets is enabled, a text field will appear above the texture window. You can type in it to filter the entire texture window by path and/or by filename. It is by far the most useful feature in the whole program with regard to texturing. If 1.5 has it, make sure it's enabled there too. It saves so much time.

texture_subsets.png

Edited by NAB622
Aldro Koon and OCD2 like this
  • 2 weeks later...

So, @Aldro Koon.....about the surface inspector in Radiant 1.6. It looks like, when they rewrote the surface inspector, they copied it over from inside the main program itself, and made it a plugin...and when they did, they removed the cancel and apply buttons - but they forgot to remove the line of code that performs an Undo when you click cancel, and under certain circumstances, when you close the inspector, it performs an automatic cancel. So if all you did was close the surface inspector and your stuff got all messed up, all you need to do is hit redo, and your stuff should come back. I'm still hunting for several other relevant errors, but that one was pretty easy. No wonder you were so frustrated with it, though!

Also - 1.6 is using 1.5's vertex editing code, as far as I can tell, and it's still pretty broken. That's beyond me, though, since I'm terrible at math. Actually it seems like most of 1.6's code is just 1.5...

Aldro Koon likes this

There was time, when I learnt mapping with WorldCraft editor (this one was Half-Life video game, but I created 1 small map for JO as well), after which I switched to Gtk Radiant, which was far better in hundreds of terms. Currently I'm trying to get used to NetRadiant, which seems to be gaining popularity among fans more and more.

Original Dark Forces, Dark Forces II and MOTS had other editors. I can't name them, but there were several mods, some quite peculiar. There was even an Episode I mod for Dark Forces II MOTS, where you can play Obi Wan and slash Battle Droids on Naboo.