Need help fixing error after changing a map's music

I recently downloaded the Revenge Of The Sith Map Pack featuring Utapau and Mustafar. I decided I wanted to change the Mustafar music to a longer track. I downloaded an MP3 and replaced the mus1.mp3 file in the music folder with the new one. First I got a qpath filename error so I shortened the .mp3 filename to h.mp3. Then I changed the BSP to play h.mp3 instead of mus1.mp3. Now i have a new error. "Error: CM_LoadMap: maps_sjc_mustafar_area1.bsp has wrong version number (538976257 should be 1) when trying to load up the map in the console. I'm just at a loss at this point. The map won't start up at all. Help?

I'm not sure why you got a qpath error - as long as you replaced the old file with a new one that had the exact same name and path, it should work. But, I can address the other two things.

First and foremost, JA can only read MP3s encoded at 44.1 khz, 128 kbps constant bit rate, stereo. As far as I know, literally nothing else will play. Re-encode your MP3 to match these settings and give it another go.

For your CM_LoadMap error, the server and client must have the same BSP - if you modded the BSP on the client but not on the server, there's a good chance it triggered some validation check, resulting in that error. I would suggest reverting the BSP back to the original one from the download, as there is no reason re-encoding the file and replacing the one in the PK3 shouldn't work.

If all else fails, in a pinch you can just add your MP3 directly to the game's 'base/music' folder and play it at will with the /music command.

• 4 weeks later...

So i've been doing something similar. Except I want to change the music of a map that the modder who built the map used the base game's music... so it was the music for one of the singleplayer maps... He decided to not inlude his own music which would make the replacement very easy. I wanted to change it in the bsp file but get the same error because I messed with the original. I tried to make my own pk3 and even that didn't work. I don not want to change the base game's info. any ideas??

If the original BSP does not reference a music file, I'm not sure there's anything you can do other than use /music.

If it does reference a music file (Even if it doesn't exist), you should be able to make your own PK3 file that adds or overwrites the missing file - just name the pk3 something alphabetically later than the original PK3 file. At least, that is how it's supposed to work...

• 10 months later...
On 7/18/2020 at 5:24 PM, NAB622 said:

If the original BSP does not reference a music file, I'm not sure there's anything you can do other than use /music.

If it does reference a music file (Even if it doesn't exist), you should be able to make your own PK3 file that adds or overwrites the missing file - just name the pk3 something alphabetically later than the original PK3 file. At least, that is how it's supposed to work...

So it's been a year haha still no progress...

Can anyone tell me how to change a bsp file's music reference???

Correction! After much experimenting, I have figured out how to edit these files using a hex editor. If anyone needs help, I can tell you more about it. The only hiccup I've run into is ADDING to the files. Like if a file has no music assigned to it in the bsp file, I have no clue how one would be able to add it in. I've played with it in all kinds of ways and no luck. If anyone knows how to ADD to bsp files, lemme know. For now, I'm pretty content with changing the bsp file using a hex editor!