[HELP] New run animation

Alright so, I’m either missing something or this just isn’t possible. But I feel like it is having seen other animations work similarly. 

I’ve created a new run animation but I don’t want it to replace one of the games default run animations. 

I’ve got it to loop in the animation.cfg. I’ve replaced another animation (not a both_run or something similar) but a custom animation that allowed you to walk and run with that animation in play. 

However, my animation just runs on the spot. 

Obviously if I replace both_run with my animation, it works. 

If anyone could take the time to explain what I’m missing here I’d greatly appreciate it. I literally cannot find any info on this and I’ve search just about everywhere I can think of. 

In short, is it possible to create a new run/walk animation without replacing a default?

Many thanks! 

If I had to guess, it's code related. Would this be for multiplayer or singleplayer? Certain classes have their own walk/run cycles, like Jawas, but there's a specific instruction in the code telling them what animation to play.

Thanks a lot for the response @Noodle! It's for multiplayer. 

Essentially all I want to do is 'duplicate' the both_run1 animation from the base animation.cfg so that I have a new run animation to edit, but still maintain the old one. The new animation is complete, I just can't move with it. I run on the spot, and 'W', 'A', 'S' and 'D' have no influence on it.

Would that be done in the dark depths of the code somewhere?

On 5/19/2020 at 11:21 AM, Jago said:

Thanks a lot for the response @Noodle! It's for multiplayer. 

Essentially all I want to do is 'duplicate' the both_run1 animation from the base animation.cfg so that I have a new run animation to edit, but still maintain the old one. The new animation is complete, I just can't move with it. I run on the spot, and 'W', 'A', 'S' and 'D' have no influence on it.

Would that be done in the dark depths of the code somewhere?

I was certain I had replied to you days ago, but it seems my reply never popped up! I guess it must be code related and I don't know how feasible it'd be to make it work on multiplayer unless you create a whole new mod that allows custom animations. 

Yeah there is definitely a code issue. When I replaced the blue styles lunge with a stab animation the character would move forward even though I didn't animate it to. The default lunge moves the character forward so that was applied to my new animation.