Weighting models

I asked someone for advice on converting a playermodel from Gmod to JKA, and he walked me through a bit of it. The part that seems extremely slow is the weighting, to the point where it took him two full days to make one before, and I can see why considering how long it's taking me to weight each part of this model.

My question is: Is there a more efficient method? I've seen comments from people like Jeff where they threw together a new model in a couple of hours, and as I"m doing these weights I just don't see how that doesn't take significantly longer. Is there a quicker method, or is it an issue specific to ports?

33 minutes ago, TheHusseler said:

I asked someone for advice on converting a playermodel from Gmod to JKA, and he walked me through a bit of it. The part that seems extremely slow is the weighting, to the point where it took him two full days to make one before, and I can see why considering how long it's taking me to weight each part of this model.

My question is: Is there a more efficient method? I've seen comments from people like Jeff where they threw together a new model in a couple of hours, and as I"m doing these weights I just don't see how that doesn't take significantly longer. Is there a quicker method, or is it an issue specific to ports?

There's a weight transfer in blender that gives you a quick rough start but you'll still have to fine-tune parts. Which can be quick or a very long and difficult process depending on the model.

TheHusseler likes this

There's the option to use someone else's work and keep the original weights so you can mix and match from different sources. Aka Frankenstein-ing. Sure it's faster but doesn't help your skills if you want to rig models from scratch.

Weighting can be slow if you...are still learning and need practice to get faster at it or have a badly modeled mesh (without proper edge loops) / ported triangulated dense mesh. For ports, most of the time it's both issues.

TheHusseler likes this
28 minutes ago, Jeff said:

There's a weight transfer in blender that gives you a quick rough start but you'll still have to fine-tune parts. Which can be quick or a very long and difficult process depending on the model.

Is it just called weight transfer? I'll look into that for sure