Rigging Custom Model

Quick question. Is there any way to snap the model limbs on onto the base JKA humanoid skeleton? For example I've resized the left leg and the right arm to a degree to better fit with the length of the skeleton and I'm planning to do the same with the right leg; what would I need to do to have the left leg on the model move to the same position on the left leg parts of the skeleton so it can be rigged properly?

spacer.png

Hi Stryker.

I don't think there is a way to simply snap the mesh onto the bone. You'd need to manually rotate the mesh, using the top of the leg as the pivot point, into position. Look into using a thing called 'Proportional Editing' which will automatically adjust nearby unselected vertices as you rotate to get a smooth result.

Jack

2 hours ago, ooeJack said:

Hi Stryker.

I don't think there is a way to simply snap the mesh onto the bone. You'd need to manually rotate the mesh, using the top of the leg as the pivot point, into position. Look into using a thing called 'Proportional Editing' which will automatically adjust nearby unselected vertices as you rotate to get a smooth result.

Jack

Thanks for the advice man.

@Archangel35757  @Stryker I would not use any sort of ffd in max either, I'd create a new keyframe, pose the skeleton to match the model, quickly weight the model to the now posed skeleton, reverse the slider on the timeline back to the original position then freeze the current vertex positions on the mesh and delete the keyframe. 

This should give you a perfectly posed model for weighting. 

2 hours ago, AshuraDX said:

@Archangel35757  @Stryker I would not use any sort of ffd in max either, I'd create a new keyframe, pose the skeleton to match the model, quickly weight the model to the now posed skeleton, reverse the slider on the timeline back to the original position then freeze the current vertex positions on the mesh and delete the keyframe. 

This should give you a perfectly posed model for weighting. 

Thanks for the advice man.

@AshuraDX  It looked to me that he only had a mesh in the wrong pose (from porting) and only the JKA bones... if indeed the mesh comes imported and weighted to its original game's bones then I would do as you suggested.

It's pretty easy to rotate mesh limbs using FFD cages and their pivot points.  I would not manipulate the FFD cage's control points.  Of course it will require mesh cleanup in the area of those FFD pivots