Misaligned text crawl and character zoom-in bugs, looking for fixes

As the title states I got 2 bugs that I REALLY want to get fixed because they're ruining my enjoyment. First is this:spacer.png

Whenever I go to make a new character and try to select a head, the game zooms in and widens the image of your character instead of simply zooming on the head. Second, and last, is this:spacer.png

The opening crawl is scrolls up from the center of the screen and is clipped out as though the background is layered over it. This makes it hard to read as the text is already zoomed out.

If any of you have an idea how to fix this, I'd greatly appreciate it. I'm running on Windows 10 and these two bugs still apply regardless of if I'm playing OpenJK, JK Enhanced, or if I've set the game files to be in widescreen.

I might be wrong, but I think this may be the reason:

33 minutes ago, VHS said:

I've set the game files to be in widescreen.

Which game files did you modify exactly? Because if you modified files from the base folder, it is possible that it affects other mods as well. I suggest that you should reinstall this game, but without modifying anything once it's installed, and see if the problem is still there.

Odeyseis and VHS like this

I didn't really modify anything, I added an autoexec.cfg file and put everything in there.

Nope, sorry Lance but that doesn't do anything. Even before modifying the game it still had this issue.

Got any other ideas?

12 hours ago, VHS said:

I didn't really modify anything, I added an autoexec.cfg file and put everything in there.

Nope, sorry Lance but that doesn't do anything. Even before modifying the game it still had this issue.

Got any other ideas?

Whenever I have problems like this one, I always do the following: cleaning the entire base folder from any mods, no matter if they are relevant or not. Sometimes it works, but if not, I uninstall the game, remove what is left in the Jedi Academy folder and reinstall the game (in my case, I do it through Steam). Once there is a clean installation, without any mods added, I try it again and see if it works. Then I put the mods back in the base folder, one by one.

3 hours ago, Lancelot said:

Whenever I have problems like this one, I always do the following: cleaning the entire base folder from any mods, no matter if they are relevant or not. Sometimes it works, but if not, I uninstall the game, remove what is left in the Jedi Academy folder and reinstall the game (in my case, I do it through Steam). Once there is a clean installation, without any mods added, I try it again and see if it works. Then I put the mods back in the base folder, one by one.

Good news, this worked, the misalignment is gone. Bad news is that now my Autoexec.cfg file isn't working

Here's what all was in it:
seta r_customwidth "1680"
seta r_customheight "1050"
seta cg_fov "90"
seta r_mode "-1"
seta cg_dynamicCrosshair "0"
seta cg_crosshairSize "12"
seta cg_crosshairX "3"
seta cg_crosshairY "5"
seta cg_crosshairIdentifyTarget "0"
seta cg_crosshairForceHint "0"
seta ui_iscensored "0"
seta broadsword "1"
seta helpusobi "1"
seta g_dismemberment "3"
seta g_dismemberProbabilities "100"
seta g_saberrealisticcombat "1"
seta g_saberPickuppableDroppedSabers "1"
seta cg_dismember "100"
seta g_dismember "100"
seta cg_dismember "3"
seta cg_renderToTextureFX "0"

This all worked prior to doing what you advised. So what can I do now?

3 hours ago, VHS said:

Here's what all was in it:
seta r_customwidth "1680"
seta r_customheight "1050"
seta cg_fov "90"
seta r_mode "-1"

seta cg_dynamicCrosshair "0"
seta cg_crosshairSize "12"
seta cg_crosshairX "3"
seta cg_crosshairY "5"
seta cg_crosshairIdentifyTarget "0"
seta cg_crosshairForceHint "0"
seta ui_iscensored "0"
seta broadsword "1"
seta helpusobi "1"
seta g_dismemberment "3"
seta g_dismemberProbabilities "100"
seta g_saberrealisticcombat "1"
seta g_saberPickuppableDroppedSabers "1"
seta cg_dismember "100"
seta g_dismember "100"
seta cg_dismember "3"
seta cg_renderToTextureFX "0"

My suggestion: Remove all the lines that I marked red, and keep those that are green. If it doesn't work, remove the autoexec entirely. It may be a pain to play the game in 16:9 with 4:3 resolutions, but at least it's not misalligned. In regards to 16:9 resolutions, there are enough mods that add support for it.

VHS and Odeyseis like this

Plenty of mods add support for custom resolution, but if you want just a replacement for jasp.exe, just get OpenJK.

However, most of that stuff in your autoexec don't need to be there, because they will save in your jaconfig.cfg just fine. Or should. Only one that won't is helpusobi 1.

My recommendation is to switch to using OpenJK. Also make sure you run either base JKA or OpenJK or any other version as administrator.

VHS and Odeyseis like this
1 hour ago, Lancelot said:

My suggestion: Remove all the lines that I marked red, and keep those that are green. If it doesn't work, remove the autoexec entirely. It may be a pain to play the game in 16:9 with 4:3 resolutions, but at least it's not misalligned. In regards to 16:9 resolutions, there are enough mods that add support for it.

Still didn't do anything, sorry.

45 minutes ago, Circa said:

Plenty of mods add support for custom resolution, but if you want just a replacement for jasp.exe, just get OpenJK.

However, most of that stuff in your autoexec don't need to be there, because they will save in your jaconfig.cfg just fine. Or should. Only one that won't is helpusobi 1.

My recommendation is to switch to using OpenJK. Also make sure you run either base JKA or OpenJK or any other version as administrator.

Three questions: How do I install it OpenJK correctly, is there a way to set my launch options that steam will launch OpenJK instead of vanilla, And will OpenJK still work with mods?

On 1/10/2020 at 2:30 PM, Circa said:

Well, I just tried OpenJK and the problems this post was made for are now back.

I would also change cg_fov back to 80 (default). It might look good and wider, at least in MP, but it might as well be the culprit, as if you notice in the screenshot everything seems to be weirdly zoomed, which is exactly what cg_fov affects. Otherwise it might just be a matter of wider screen resolution, which Jedi Academy wasn't originally designed to support: after all with a widescreen setting some of the cutscenes in Jedi Outcast are "cut" somewhat, and ultimately it's a matter of how the in-game camera is working.

Edit: After testing both these options it didn't have any effect, so it's probably not that.

Edited by Ramikad
Update
  • 2 weeks later...

Might be too late to help, but as I recently discovered, your graphics card may be the culprit. I had a similar error where the home screen video was white and the circle was deformed, menu super laggy despite the fact that I could run Battlefront 2 (EA) on UHD w/ texture mods.

Try updating/reinstalling/repairing your graphic card drivers.

Ensure your OpenGL32.dll is where it’s supposed to be. If not, download a BASE copy (unmodified) .dll and place it into your Gamedata folder.

However, if this has persisted since a clean install, it may be your installer and files itself that are damaged. If it’s a pirated copy, that may also be the cause.

Odeyseis likes this