Issues converting JO models to JKA

Hi all, I'm having some trouble converting a model from the JO skeleton to JKA. When using dual sabers, the left-handed saber floats in midair beside the right hand rather than being held in the model's left hand. I've read that this is a common problem since the JO skeleton lacks the proper tags, so I've been trying to fix this myself in Blender. Long story short, I replaced the JK2 skeleton with the JKA _humanoid one and tagged the l_hand_0 / l_hand_cap_l_arm_0 to lhang_tag_bone / lhand, but there must be something I'm missing. The two objects are still floating instead of snapping into place in the left hand, and exporting the .glm gives me struct.error: argument out of range.

I've also compared the model to one that works with dual sabers to check the tags, but I couldn't find any obvious differences I'd missed. Another thing I tried was to move the objects into position manually; whilst this did seem to fix the dual sabers problem, it somehow broke the textures on the model's lower robes.

Hopefully someone with a bit more expertise can point me in the right direction.

Still having some trouble with this. I've checked the bone names and vertex groups of the problematic tags, which seem to be correct as far as I know. I'm able to export the .glm at least, however trying to load it in JKA gives me a 'bad/missing bone or missing animation' error. ModView shows the l_hand and l_hand_cap_l_arm surfaces floating near the right hand too. I haven't a clue what exactly I'm missing.

Let's take care of the bones error first.

The bone issue comes from using the JO skeleton which has more bones than the one in JA. To fix this you have to remove the following bones from the "skin weights modifier" (or equivalent in blender). You can also delete them. They are obsolete bones in hands and feet and do not contribute much so they were removed by Raven.

r_d1_j3
    r_d2_j3
    r_d3_j1
    r_d3_j2
    r_d3_j3
    r_d4_j3
    r_d5_j1
    r_d5_j2
    r_d5_j3
    l_d1_j3
    l_d2_j3
    l_d3_j1
    l_d3_j2
    l_d3_j3
    l_d4_j3
    l_d5_j1
    l_d5_j2
    l_d5_j3
    mc5
    ltarsal
    rtarsal

I've given it another go from scratch as the skeleton in my blender file so far was replaced with the JKA one, thus none of the obsolete bones mentioned were anywhere to be found. Back to using the default JO skeleton for the model, I went down the list and deleted the bones along with the vertex groups that shared the same name. There's a few unweighted sections in the left hand and both feet as a result. What might the next steps be? Replacing the JO skele with JKA's or a simple job of weight painting the areas where any removed bones were?

I finally managed to get everything in its proper place and dual sabers are now functional. Swings, taunts and kata work as intended without any weird bugs. However, the bad news is the texture issue from my first post has reared its ugly head again. This model is a heck of a lot more temperamental than I expected. Any ideas how I might go about fixing the glitchy robes?

Oddly enough, the model looks totally fine in ModView and animates without any texture issues whatsoever. The problem only seems to occur in-game regardless of map, gamemode, etc.

2 hours ago, jedi21 said:

I finally managed to get everything in its proper place and dual sabers are now functional. Swings, taunts and kata work as intended without any weird bugs. However, the bad news is the texture issue from my first post has reared its ugly head again. This model is a heck of a lot more temperamental than I expected. Any ideas how I might go about fixing the glitchy robes?

spacer.png

Oddly enough, the model looks totally fine in ModView and animates without any texture issues whatsoever. The problem only seems to occur in-game regardless of map, gamemode, etc.

spacer.png

One word: Shaders. In Modview, they appear fine because if you go into view, there's an option to see textures double sided. Turn that off, and you will see a glaring difference in what appears to be a normal model.

It looks like the normals are flipped around in spots.  There's an option to disable backface culling in Blender somewhere, I can't say exactly where from memory.  But turning that on should let you see what's messed up.  Alternatively, there should also be an option to just show the direction of the normals, which I think you can only get to in edit mode.  You can fix it in edit mode by recalculating normals or selecting just the problem areas and flipping normals, because sometimes recalculating only half fixes it.

• 2 weeks later...

Recalculating the normals seemed to do the trick. Some parts were still clipping with other textures or transparent from the inside with and without the shader, but I went back and fixed those individual spots until the whole skin looked fine.

Thanks for all your help! Hope you had a happy holidays as well!

Psyk0Sith likes this