The Groose Sets Loose His Mods

Been meaning to make a page showing off my little projects here and there. Really, nothing grand, but some are worth showing off, I think.

On a side-note, everything I do, I make it JK2 compatible.

All large images I post will be posted in spoilers, so I don't force you to scroll through way to much all at once. 

I ported a bunch of mod models from JK3 to JK2, like DT85's improved Stormtrooper and his Kyle Katarn, but I'm not going to talk about those since all I did was get them working in JK2 and nothing else. I edited a texture here or there, that's it. Nothing worth talking about. What I am CONSIDERING doing for these mod ports is providing a PK3 that includes just the JK2-compatible model file, but no textures, skin files or anything. That way you will still have to download the original mod, supporting their work.

Starting off, I hated the original look for Tavion, so I decided to give her a new one. I made one with two different options using the armor provided in this Chaosknight model and with a darkened-up texture from this Athena reskin. I included two heads, one with the default Tavion head (JK2 and JK3 variant) and another head kitbashed from his Gweth Kelia mod.

HiJRdX7.jpg

cAfdX2z.jpg

gmC40sD.jpg

anDk4bL.jpg

fgz8Awg.jpg

And yes, you can see the feathers on the back of her head, too! Anyone else ever notice that annoying glitch? Fixed it up, was a shader issue.

jd07N0t.jpg

This part gave me a lot of problems, I learned the importance of including every single limb tag here when kitbashing. Without including every tag, the model looks really messed up when turning their head. Took me a bit to learn that when kitbashing these guys, now they look great in movement, normal like in the original game.

ZAMSCtb.jpg

I've also given Tavion a new Posessed variant. The idea was based off this really cool old mod, which takes Tavion and wraps her in this constantly-moving lightning shader effect. Really cool, so I wanted to translate the shader effect to a new, more complicated model. The lightning DOES cover every part of her eventually, it's just hard to get screenshots of them cause the lightning stays on some spots longer than others. 

c6tvWtm.png

0Fzt0Jy.jpgHfIVKEO.jpg

I also used audacity to port all of Darth Nihilus' voicelines to give to Tavion when possessed. What I want to do is overlap Ragnos's dialogue over Nihilus' Sith babble. So far, it all sounds really good and it makes the final boss sound a lot scarier, especially with far higher buffed stats!

Next up, I kitbashed together a Dark Side Rosh. I simply added his head to the cultist body, modifying the proportions of the neck area so that it would look natural. I got the Cultist skin texture mod from here, and the Rosh face reskin from here.

uRw8ao0.jpg

You know what sucks? The "bad" version of Rosh here is only utilized during this cutscene and his boss fight. The cutscene where he leaves with Tavion, and every appearance in the game after, he uses his other Rosh NPC file. That would be fine, except Rosh  uses that same NPC all throughout his time in Yavin too. You know what that means? I can only use his new dark appearance in-game until the end of the boss fight, unless I want Rosh looking like an obvious bad guy throughout the entire game.

TrWrHDP.jpgSo that's why he glows here! His apperance is all an illusion, a force trick, made by the Kothos twins who are both controlling his mind and playing a mind trick on Jaden to give the deception that this is what he looks like. The second you beat Rosh here, he goes back to his normal appearance. 

Next up, I ported a bunch of weapons from Movie Battles 2 to work in the game regularly, 1st and 3rd person, hud icons and all. Getting the world models to look right was the easy part, it was getting the 1st-person appearance to look correct which took forever. A bunch of trial and error there.

T-21 Blaster for the flechette:

UevSW9R.jpg

This was the hardest one to get correct, All because once I finally got the 1st-person model to look correct, there was this ugly non-textured arm connected to it. I don't play MBII, so IDK wtf it was. Looked into it, figured out it was a Stormtrooper arm that I didn't port the texture for. I don't want that crap, so I had to figure out how to get rid of it. I couldn't load it in Blender, It's an MD3 model. So what I basically did instead was make the am invisible through a neat shader trick. Worked well enough, it'll almost always be invisible except in some instances where there are heavy particle-effects going on, like clouds of smoke, or texture abnormalities like being near a grate. 

DLT-20a for Disruptor

UTMIoEX.jpg

IDK what this is, but it looked cool. So Imma call it Clone Wars Electric Blaster.

Clone Wars Electric Blaster for DEMP2:

kPA5M6N.jpg

MBII Wookie Bowcaster for the bowcaster. I recolored it black. I believe the old one was trying to replicate the design from Republic Commando? I love that game, but that art-style was so unique that many things stood out from the rest of the Star Wars standard designs. I gave it a new dark texture to match the normal bowcaster.

zcAK173.jpg

This one isn't exclusive to MBII, it's scerendo's E22 Rifle that was included with his Shoretrooper model. Excellent weapon model, but it replaced the E-11, which I didn't like at all. The Heavy Repeater is a much more fitting choice, so I switched it to the Heavy Repeater.

O7PzlIN.jpg

You may have seen a few pictures above, I kitbashed Desann's head onto Psyk0Sith's Darth Malgus model. Results look pretty good.

vOEZjuh.jpg

His new lightsaber is the Starkiller saber hilt from this mod, resized and realligned to be both smaller and placed in a better spot for his hands. It looks perfect on him!

eDpDpL7.jpg

Ported the JK3 reborn to JK2. I love how the reborn look in JK3, it's what I imagine a bunch of space-cult terrorists looking like, really intimidating. I made a green and black retexture for them, and gave them a shader to make them a little more shiny. 

KxVqg59.jpgThe rebornmaster here actually replaces the regular reborn, the weak orange one. Why? Cause when you play the game on Jedi Master mode, you barely see them. You'll see them 6-7 times throughout the whole game, they'll be quite rare. Perfect to replace with a far more difficult mini-boss type encounter. They've been given Tavion's stats with less health then her. All my Reborn in JK2 and JK3 have random saber colors, except Red. Red is reserved for the big baddies, like in how Dark Forces II, only Jerec had Red while the others have the entire rainbow. I thought that was a neat idea. 

Next, I made an imperial commando/imperial navy trooper. I took Hapslash's imperial model. There are lot of other better Navy Trooper models being made on JKhub, but I wanted to try my luck with one. 

I reskined it to be a fitting shade of black, removed all the extra crap like code cyllinders and bades and kitbashes the impcommando head model from the Dark Forces demo mod here on JKhub. It looks really good, I think! Unfortunately, I wanted to use the head from the JK3 demo, but it gave me a LOT of problems on blender, I couldn't export the thing, I kept getting a bunch of random error messages every time I tried to work with it (seriously, how did these guys get it to work in game like this?), so I had to use the head from the JK2 demo, which gave me no problems. I'll adjust the helmet itself later to look a little better.

1BoPmqt.jpg7PXMH0F.jpg

I kitbashed Luke's head from this mod onto DT85's TFA Luke. It looks really good, adjusting the neck took a long time cause it would clip a lot through the collar in cutscenes, I'm not 100 percent satisfied but it looks good enough for right now. A big problem I'm getting, I think cause I messed up a hand tag, is that the way he swings his saber is very odd, like's he just can't swing the entire way. It makes him easy to kill. I'm gonna have to fix that later, too

6fkqhgL.jpg3x2afyz.jpg/

Gave Galak a new reskin, fitting for an admiral. Based on his badge, he'd be a "high admiral". His head was ported on Hapslash's imperial body. I didn't do that, somebody else already made this kitbash and released it on JKhub a while ago (actually cause I requested it back then, if I remember correctly. Love this mod).

3Gl52zb.jpgkqbO45k.jpg

That's it for right now. Anything you guys want from all of this?

Smoo, Dark_Reaper, Bek and 11 others like this
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

EDIT: All links and creidts provided to mod authors of this current post.

(Dang, I forgot to give credit to some of the mods above and their links. I haven't released anything yet so no rush, but I'll get around to it)
Alrighty, I'm bored. I did some new things:

Episode 2: McGroose really hates model tags.

First, the changes I did to Reelo and his thugs.

If you ever looked at JK2's big NPC file, you'll notice a lot of the 3 main Reelo's Moot thug types: Rodian, Weequay and Gran, have several NPC variations. This is good because it means that each NPC can be given a unique model. I believe I can have up to as many as 10 different variations of enemies because of this. 

Here are some random screens I took of the fruits of my kitbashing labor. Keep in mind, the enemy types spawn in the Cantina will always be random, but it's usually pretty standard afterwards (meaning this coordinate will definitely have the Weequay3 NPC, this coordinate will have the Rodian2 NPC, etc). I can take a multitude of cool screens cause of this:

Spoiler

spacer.png

spacer.png

D1fdBKf.jpg

DYE1lFL.jpg

IyeOKxq.jpg

snxE7It.jpg

U9WwLpJ.jpg

VmrS75o.jpg

oWGCwtC.jpg

zh315ly.jpg

Unfortunately, the Ishi Tib and the Rodian willnot dismember upon Saber contact. I tried forever to make it work, but to no avail. It either has something to do with the model tags being named different for some JK3 models, same for the assets, or it's something else. I did a bunch of different stuff but nothing worked. Sucks. 

The blue dude is the watchman model made by the Punisher

Ishi Tib from Kualan's Senator's pack. The body of the Ishi Tib comes from his Bric & El-Lis pack.

The Rodian I just ported over from JK3 and recolored it. Holy fuck do I hate ported Jaden, so annoying dealing with all the extra parts.

The Human Merc I ported over. I used the reskin by GenericUsername29. The Devaronian model is by AshuraDX and I used the Red reskin by GU29 for it.

The Gand was an Idea I got from playing Kotor 2 and is just a slightly edited Zuckuss model by Mark Lubbers, which looks very close to the Kotor 2 Gand anyway. 

The Nikto head model is by Numberwan and his armor is from the Swamptrooper reskin by someone named "slaughter" back on filefront. 

For the Trandoshan, I use the Pilot Poe model by Scerendo, reskinned it, attached some vanilla Trandoshan parts to it and used the head from this mod by Darth Shiftee.

Spoiler

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

So Reelo went through a lot of different phases on the drawing board. In the end, I am quite happy with how he looks. I used the Heavy Rodian TFU model ported by Jeff over to JK3, than kitbashed Reelo's head onto the original head. The dismemberment on him is really messed up, but I'm not surprised since it's a model from TFU ported to a much older game. Doesn't matter tho since he never comes near your lightsaber in the game anyway. I got the idea from this Rodian crime lord from the Vader trilogy comics. He is the head of a criminal syndicate and also has a lavish throne room but the dude dresses like a junker. Considering Reelo is THE waste disposal manager to to remove your garbages , I figured it's only fair his appearance reflected that.

Spoiler

spacer.png

Lz4m27m.jpg

hWvHq7N.jpg

tBWEkUv.jpg

RMn9iGk.jpg

sFgDOBN.jpg

For Jan Ors, I used the Jynn Erso model made by Lervish and kitbashed the Jan Ors head from the Dark Forces II model pack.

Spoiler

V8CiiKy.jpg

T596iYf.jpg

Now the bartender also was a difficult choice in terms of how to proceed. Do I stay true to the original character or go all out and just remake the dude from scratch? I decided the latter option. Let me tell you, this guy makes the conversation with Kyle a lot funnier. I never realized how much funnier his broken grammar and tone could be with the proper smug-ass face to reflect it. I don't think the Chiss model did a good job of that. This Twilek just gives Kyle the most "fuck you" troll look ever during the conversation, I love it. Anyway, He's a twilek. The head model comes from this mod by luckxyz and the body is a slightly reskinned jacket from this Episode 7 Han Solo model.

Spoiler

b79G0lQ.jpgsGIbNao.jpg

BBoMT4S.jpg

1wQsqR7.jpg

Ra01G1Y.jpg

Oh and here's some other random stuff.

Black lightsaber from this mod by dark_Apprentice, just the original mod converted over to JK2. I already knew how to make a black saber texture, the problem was that, when you swing your saber, the trail will still be the original color. This was a shader issue that I didn't figure out how to fix until I saw this mod.

I use it with the Shadowtroopers. I haven't figured out how to turn the orange aura of the saber that reflects off the wall to be white or black instead of Orange, but oh well. Maybe later.

Spoiler

VL6X0mo.jpg

wq9L9fP.jpg

EUEIPLD.jpg

Made a new yellow Reborn, I'm hoping someone can do that request of mine a few days ago and make him white instead (PLZZZZZ)

Spoiler

5k6kiii.jpg

I would like for many of these mods to be used in the JK2 Remastered mod, but progress has come to a halt, we've all got too many other projects and real life matters to deal with. Whenever progress resumes, I will see if these models can be used in the mod. Of course, with credit provided to all the modders who provided/made these assets. I don't actually make anything per say, I just kitbash. 

On 8/19/2019 at 9:03 PM, McGroose said:

Been meaning to make a page showing off my little projects here and there. Really, nothing grand, but some are worth showing off, I think.

On a side-note, everything I do, I make it JK2 compatible.

All large images I post will be posted in spoilers, so I don't force you to scroll through way to much all at once. 

I ported a bunch of mod models from JK3 to JK2, like DT85's improved Stormtrooper and his Kyle Katarn, but I'm not going to talk about those since all I did was get them working in JK2 and nothing else. I edited a texture here or there, that's it. Nothing worth talking about. What I am CONSIDERING doing for these mod ports is providing a PK3 that includes just the JK2-compatible model file, but no textures, skin files or anything. That way you will still have to download the original mod, supporting their work.

Starting off, I hated the original look for Tavion, so I decided to give her a new one. I made one with two different options using the armor provided in this Chaosknight model and with a darkened-up texture from this Athena reskin. I included two heads, one with the default Tavion head (JK2 and JK3 variant) and another head kitbashed from his Gweth Kelia mod.

HiJRdX7.jpg

Hide contents

cAfdX2z.jpg

gmC40sD.jpg

anDk4bL.jpg

fgz8Awg.jpg

And yes, you can see the feathers on the back of her head, too! Anyone else ever notice that annoying glitch? Fixed it up, was a shader issue.

jd07N0t.jpg

This part gave me a lot of problems, I learned the importance of including every single limb tag here when kitbashing. Without including every tag, the model looks really messed up when turning their head. Took me a bit to learn that when kitbashing these guys, now they look great in movement, normal like in the original game.

ZAMSCtb.jpg

I've also given Tavion a new Posessed variant. The idea was based off this really cool old mod, which takes Tavion and wraps her in this constantly-moving lightning shader effect. Really cool, so I wanted to translate the shader effect to a new, more complicated model. The lightning DOES cover every part of her eventually, it's just hard to get screenshots of them cause the lightning stays on some spots longer than others. 

c6tvWtm.png

Reveal hidden contents

0Fzt0Jy.jpgHfIVKEO.jpg

I also used audacity to port all of Darth Nihilus' voicelines to give to Tavion when possessed. What I want to do is overlap Ragnos's dialogue over Nihilus' Sith babble. So far, it all sounds really good and it makes the final boss sound a lot scarier, especially with far higher buffed stats!

Next up, I kitbashed together a Dark Side Rosh. I simply added his head to the cultist body, modifying the proportions of the neck area so that it would look natural. I got the Cultist skin texture mod from here, and the Rosh face reskin from here.

Reveal hidden contents

uRw8ao0.jpg

You know what sucks? The "bad" version of Rosh here is only utilized during this cutscene and his boss fight. The cutscene where he leaves with Tavion, and every appearance in the game after, he uses his other Rosh NPC file. That would be fine, except Rosh  uses that same NPC all throughout his time in Yavin too. You know what that means? I can only use his new dark appearance in-game until the end of the boss fight, unless I want Rosh looking like an obvious bad guy throughout the entire game.

TrWrHDP.jpgSo that's why he glows here! His apperance is all an illusion, a force trick, made by the Kothos twins who are both controlling his mind and playing a mind trick on Jaden to give the deception that this is what he looks like. The second you beat Rosh here, he goes back to his normal appearance. 

Next up, I ported a bunch of weapons from Movie Battles 2 to work in the game regularly, 1st and 3rd person, hud icons and all. Getting the world models to look right was the easy part, it was getting the 1st-person appearance to look correct which took forever. A bunch of trial and error there.

T-21 Blaster for the flechette:

Reveal hidden contents

UevSW9R.jpg

This was the hardest one to get correct, All because once I finally got the 1st-person model to look correct, there was this ugly non-textured arm connected to it. I don't play MBII, so IDK wtf it was. Looked into it, figured out it was a Stormtrooper arm that I didn't port the texture for. I don't want that crap, so I had to figure out how to get rid of it. I couldn't load it in Blender, It's an MD3 model. So what I basically did instead was make the am invisible through a neat shader trick. Worked well enough, it'll almost always be invisible except in some instances where there are heavy particle-effects going on, like clouds of smoke, or texture abnormalities like being near a grate. 

DLT-20a for Disruptor

Reveal hidden contents

UTMIoEX.jpg

IDK what this is, but it looked cool. So Imma call it Clone Wars Electric Blaster.

Clone Wars Electric Blaster for DEMP2:

Reveal hidden contents

kPA5M6N.jpg

MBII Wookie Bowcaster for the bowcaster. I recolored it black. I believe the old one was trying to replicate the design from Republic Commando? I love that game, but that art-style was so unique that many things stood out from the rest of the Star Wars standard designs. I gave it a new dark texture to match the normal bowcaster.

Reveal hidden contents

zcAK173.jpg

This one isn't exclusive to MBII, it's scerendo's E22 Rifle that was included with his Shoretrooper model. Excellent weapon model, but it replaced the E-11, which I didn't like at all. The Heavy Repeater is a much more fitting choice, so I switched it to the Heavy Repeater.

Reveal hidden contents

O7PzlIN.jpg

You may have seen a few pictures above, I kitbashed Desann's head onto Psyk0Sith's Darth Malgus model. Results look pretty good.

Reveal hidden contents

vOEZjuh.jpg

His new lightsaber is the Starkiller saber hilt from this mod, resized and realligned to be both smaller and placed in a better spot for his hands. It looks perfect on him!

Reveal hidden contents

eDpDpL7.jpg

Ported the JK3 reborn to JK2. I love how the reborn look in JK3, it's what I imagine a bunch of space-cult terrorists looking like, really intimidating. I made a green and black retexture for them, and gave them a shader to make them a little more shiny. 

KxVqg59.jpgThe rebornmaster here actually replaces the regular reborn, the weak orange one. Why? Cause when you play the game on Jedi Master mode, you barely see them. You'll see them 6-7 times throughout the whole game, they'll be quite rare. Perfect to replace with a far more difficult mini-boss type encounter. They've been given Tavion's stats with less health then her. All my Reborn in JK2 and JK3 have random saber colors, except Red. Red is reserved for the big baddies, like in how Dark Forces II, only Jerec had Red while the others have the entire rainbow. I thought that was a neat idea. 

Next, I made an imperial commando/imperial navy trooper. I took Hapslash's imperial model. There are lot of other better Navy Trooper models being made on JKhub, but I wanted to try my luck with one. 

I reskined it to be a fitting shade of black, removed all the extra crap like code cyllinders and bades and kitbashes the impcommando head model from the Dark Forces demo mod here on JKhub. It looks really good, I think! Unfortunately, I wanted to use the head from the JK3 demo, but it gave me a LOT of problems on blender, I couldn't export the thing, I kept getting a bunch of random error messages every time I tried to work with it (seriously, how did these guys get it to work in game like this?), so I had to use the head from the JK2 demo, which gave me no problems. I'll adjust the helmet itself later to look a little better.

Reveal hidden contents

1BoPmqt.jpg7PXMH0F.jpg

I kitbashed Luke's head from this mod onto DT85's TFA Luke. It looks really good, adjusting the neck took a long time cause it would clip a lot through the collar in cutscenes, I'm not 100 percent satisfied but it looks good enough for right now. A big problem I'm getting, I think cause I messed up a hand tag, is that the way he swings his saber is very odd, like's he just can't swing the entire way. It makes him easy to kill. I'm gonna have to fix that later, too

Reveal hidden contents

6fkqhgL.jpg3x2afyz.jpg/

Gave Galak a new reskin, fitting for an admiral. Based on his badge, he'd be a "high admiral". His head was ported on Hapslash's imperial body. I didn't do that, somebody else already made this kitbash and released it on JKhub a while ago (actually cause I requested it back then, if I remember correctly. Love this mod).

Hide contents

3Gl52zb.jpgkqbO45k.jpg

That's it for right now. Anything you guys want from all of this?

I especially love your changes to Tavion and Evil Rosh. Anyway to download these skins?

Ooops. Didn't mean to copy the whole forum when I hit quote. Only meant to copy the anything you guys want from all of this part.

Edited by Kiindaal
Misquote
  • 2 weeks later...

Ya I can eventually make a download for those files, Rosh is more or less done. It's just that Tavion has three problems:

The JK2 version of her with the new head (long black hair), and maybe the JK3 version, will not have her head dismember or at. I think I know what the problem but I don't think I can fix that.

The Tavion model in general requires OpenJK otherwise the shaders will be an absolute mess. I guess this is fine for JK3 but there is only one build of OpenJK I can find for JK2, used in the JK2 enhanced mod, is reaaaaaally broken. I wish someone would just upload a good OpenJK build for JK2 cause I know people have done it before with little to no bugs. They just tackle their own unique stuff into the code so that their variant of JK2 is vastly different from the vanilla game so it wouldn't exactly make sense to release that as just a regular OpenJK build.

The lightning effect on Possessed Tavion isn't quite perfect. I have to allign and make the texture and shader file just right. It looks better now than before, but I can definitely tell this lightning shader was not meant to work on this model.

I really have to learn how to make a proper Readme file lol

• 2 years later...