Issue with CamSP and Animation Menu for the latest OpenJK builds (which KOTF 2.1 and Movie Duels Remastered now use)

Go to solution Solved by TheWhitePhoenix,

I'm not sure if anyone else has realized this, but CamSP and Animation Menu (which are very instrumental in making machinimas) are no longer working as they should with the latest OpenJK builds. I will list in full detail as to what problems I have encountered so that @@therfiles and @@Noodle can be alerted to the situation as well as the ones managing OpenJK as a whole since Knights of the Force 2.1 and Movie Duels Remastered are built based on OpenJK.

CamSP: When pressing the button that I bind CamSP to it, the game just crashes. While Movie Duels at least allows me to somewhat use it once (as long as it is after I IMMEDIATELY load into the map, otherwise the same crash occurs), Knights of the Force 2.1 hasn't been so kind to it. While in the past with previous builds I could use it alongside it's own camera feature (the earliest build I tested it on with it working was the build where the Feburary 2018 build), more modern builds crashed with it. I had to resort to the latest working build to get it to work along with the mod in of itself.

Animation Menu: This still SOMEWHAT works, but only THE PLAYER can use the animations as the npc that is designated to use the Animation Menu (which you name NPC1 as assigned by Noodle when he made this mod) doesn't work. No matter what you select, the NPC doesn't do the animation you assign him or her to use and will just remain standing as if it wasn't named NPC1 at all.

I do not know if it has something to do with the code of the latest OpenJK builds or if the mods themselves need updating, but I wanted to alert everyone to the situation and see if it can be fixed. Thank you very much for your time.

Did you try with just pure OpenJK as well? Not that any development is happening on OpenJK right now, but figured that should be part of the troubleshooting so the mod developers can cover all their bases.

I will do that just to see if it works. And funny enough, a build was released YESTERDAY (the 12th) but that just may be refining things.

Addendum: Okay, so pure OpenJK works with it as I jumped in and used it without issues. Though it is strange that Movie Duels Remastered and KOTF 2.1 aren't working with the builds in question.

I will do that just to see if it works. And funny enough, a build was released YESTERDAY (the 12th) but that just may be refining things.

Addendum: Okay, so pure OpenJK works with it as I jumped in and used it without issues. Though it is strange that Movie Duels Remastered and KOTF 2.1 aren't working with the builds in question.

If you're referring to a build on builds.openjk.org, those are nightly automatic builds. They will build every day, despite any new commits. I don't think anything has been changed in OpenJK for over a year.

TheWhitePhoenix likes this

If you're referring to a build on builds.openjk.org, those are nightly automatic builds. They will build every day, despite any new commits. I don't think anything has been changed in OpenJK for over a year.

So any hardcore changes haven't been happening for a year, but the auto builds are pretty much refined. Is that correct, Circa?

@@Linken & @@General Howard I thought I would tag you guys in here too since you are prominent members in the mods in question.

General Howard likes this

So any hardcore changes haven't been happening for a year, but the auto builds are pretty much refined. Is that correct, Circa?

@@Linken & @@General Howard I thought I would tag you guys in here too since you are prominent members in the mods in question.

I wouldn't say refined, it will build even if something is broken. This is why lots of people have requested OpenJK to have a 1.0 release or a stable public release. However, OpenJK is pretty stable right now, from what I understand. I haven't played JKA much over the last year but last I played it was very stable.

TheWhitePhoenix likes this

Okay, there may be a lead now as KOTF gave me this message when I was testing CamSP and tried to initiate it in the console rather than the button I binded it too:

"Client Command Overflow"

Adendum: It seems that initiating CamSP via console doesn't also crash as much in MDR and KOTF compared to the button binding. 

As for the Animationmenu, I think the reason why the NPC doesn't do the animations is because KOTF and MDR aren't registering the names I spawn them with.

https://jkhub.org/images/07a8ccfa641175ab1393346d0577bd5d.png

• Solution

Okay, so it turns out all this time, THE ANSWER WAS RIGHT UNDER MY NOSE!

With KOTF and MDR, you need to type in an extra few commands to get Animation Menu to work with NPCs. In KOTF and MDR, you need to type it like this:

npc spawn <npc> <npc side> <npc name> as opposed to in default and JKA Enhanced where it's just npc spawn <npc> <npc name>.

The sides are: light_side, light_side_follow, dark_side, dark_side_follow, neutral_side, free_side

The sides only matter and work if you use Animation Menu in KOTF. MDR uses the same code as KOTF, hence why it has to be there in MDR to at least spawn the npc if you want to use Animation Menu with it.

Sapo San really helped me with that and I'm glad I found out late than never that was the case. :D

And for CamSP, you can always initiate it via console if binding it to a button crashes your game.

Circa and Noodle like this