Need help rigging a skeleton

I'm trying to rig the rockettrooper GLA onto this dark trooper model. I've managed to rig the skeleton to the model, but trying to export the glm gives me the error "skeleton_root does not match specified gla". I know the skeleton_root is fulled attached to the model, posing different bones causes all corresponding model parts to follow.

9vVmMXL.png

Nwp7EsH.png

Really not sure what i'm supposed to do here. Was I first supposed to hex edit the glm or something? I tried to hex edit the model file and replace the humanoid animations with the rocketrooper gla, but that never works right cause the model then won't load in blender.

Help is appreciated :) 

It wont work because the models pose and dimensions aren't the same. The rocket trooper is very different than anything using the _huamnoid.gla.

You're going to have to scale the model to fit the skeleton and pose it to match the pose of the rocket trooper which looks like all you'll have to do for that is make the legs stright.

From there I can't help, don't use blender.

McGroose likes this

It wont work because the models pose and dimensions aren't the same. The rocket trooper is very different than anything using the _huamnoid.gla.

You're going to have to scale the model to fit the skeleton and pose it to match the pose of the rocket trooper which looks like all you'll have to do for that is make the legs stright.

From there I can't help, don't use blender.

Guess I'll need somebody who knows blender to tell me how to do all of that, but it's a start :)

Select the "main mesh" (usually the hips). Re-size it to cover the skeleton until is fully aligned (you can use the fingers as a guide).

By using the "main mesh", it will automatically re-size any "child" mesh.

You will also need to make sure you weigth the meshes with the correct bones (I think the rocket trooper uses different bones than the standard model skeleton).

Also, the legs of that skeleton are pointing straight down while the standard model has the legs spread like an "X", so you will need to do some editing to align the legs too.

Sounds complicated at first (and might be frustrating too) but once you work on it, you will feel comfortable with it.

McGroose likes this

Select the "main mesh" (usually the hips). Re-size it to cover the skeleton until is fully aligned (you can use the fingers as a guide).

By using the "main mesh", it will automatically re-size any "child" mesh.

You will also need to make sure you weigth the meshes with the correct bones (I think the rocket trooper uses different bones than the standard model skeleton).

Also, the legs of that skeleton are pointing straight down while the standard model has the legs spread like an "X", so you will need to do some editing to align the legs too.

Sounds complicated at first (and might be frustrating too) but once you work on it, you will feel comfortable with it.

What do I use to change the aligning of meshes?

I've changed the size, but what about re-aligning the legs to be perfectly parallel like the Rockettrooper? 

Getting closer lol

There are options like in the properties, you can re-size the x, y and z dimensions. I prefer the resize option on the left side menu (once you select the mesh, select re-size on the left menu and drag the mouse up or down).

I've changed the size, but what about re-aligning the legs to be perfectly parallel like the Rockettrooper? 

Getting closer lol

That is a little bit more tricky at first. Go into edit mode, select the part of the left you want and rotate bit with the mouse. It takes some practice until you get it right (might be intimidating and frustrating too). Once you get the hang of it, it's not that hard.

That is a little bit more tricky at first. Go into edit mode, select the part of the left you want and rotate bit with the mouse. It takes some practice until you get it right (might be intimidating and frustrating too). Once you get the hang of it, it's not that hard.

Ya, this one is a good deal trickier. I'm working with fragments of meshes at this point.

I'll work on this a little more today, will probably pick it up later. Thank you for your help. I might PM you if I need help again if you're ok with that. 

I don't know if this works in Blender but in 3ds max I scale the model to fit the skeleton, make a keyframe on the animation timeline for all bones of the skeleton, go to the next frame, pose the skeleton to fit the model and create another keyframe for all bones of the skeleton in their new pose.

Then I start to weight the model to the posed skeleton and once I'm done I just move the animation slider back to the first keyframe that has the root pose.

Being weighted to the skeleton the model will follow that correction allowing me to delete the posed keyframe and leaving me with a model in the proper root pose.