Jedi Academy maps by using Blender

Go to solution Solved by Asgarath83,

I have been trying to learn Modelling house for a few days and 

I wonder that is it possible to make Jedi Academy with blender then converting it into .map format and importing it to GtkRadiant

Because mapping fancy maps in Radiant is very difficult and also buggy as it crashes when i make new brushes or make them as circles

If there's a way can you tell me how

And teach me in discord for 1-2 days if possible?

Discord Name: DarthValeria#6365 please help me , i need it

I seem to remember that you can export a Blender mesh/object/group of objects into .map, however I think it only exports as group of patches, and I don't think it's a great idea, especially for curved/round meshes, since every triangle becomes a patch mesh in Radiant - which means the lighting of the round object will be messed up. At least from what I remember, since I really only used it once.

An alternative to this would be to make the various models in Blender, export them as .md3 or .ase (or even .obj, I think they're also supported in Radiant) and then create caulk or nodraw_solid brushes around the floors, walls and ceilings.

You mentioned crashes when creating new brushes though, so an extreme alternative would be to do the same as above (make and export the fancy-looking models), then make very primitive clip models for floors, ceilings and walls with nodraw_solid or caulk textures, that then you can export to Radiant and solidify (at least some Radiant versions allow to solidify models, by ticking the option for that misc_model, otherwise I think there are shader commands that do so).

Just tossing out random ideas that may be of help.

DarthValeria likes this

I seem to remember that you can export a Blender mesh/object/group of objects into .map, however I think it only exports as group of patches, and I don't think it's a great idea, especially for curved/round meshes, since every triangle becomes a patch mesh in Radiant - which means the lighting of the round object will be messed up. At least from what I remember, since I really only used it once.

An alternative to this would be to make the various models in Blender, export them as .md3 or .ase (or even .obj, I think they're also supported in Radiant) and then create caulk or nodraw_solid brushes around the floors, walls and ceilings.

You mentioned crashes when creating new brushes though, so an extreme alternative would be to do the same as above (make and export the fancy-looking models), then make very primitive clip models for floors, ceilings and walls with nodraw_solid or caulk textures, that then you can export to Radiant and solidify (at least some Radiant versions allow to solidify models, by ticking the option for that misc_model, otherwise I think there are shader commands that do so).

Just tossing out random ideas that may be of help.

Can you contact me in discord if possible?

DarthValeria#6365

I saw that tutorial but doesnt give me a plugin of .map or doesnt explain that does it work with only one object or so many multiple objects

Tutorial is inperfect unfortunately :(

this require Quake 3 MAP exporter for blender 2.64 (i guess is on mr wonko suite here on jkhub) but honestly for me worked only the oldest blender 2.48 with his specific Quake3 map exporter. is not a good way however, if you notice, tons of brushes are stretched out into the conversion on map format.

i know a way to port on 3d studio max 2010-2013 every kind of 3d stuff and convert into a map file, but is not again official released.

DarthValeria likes this

this require Quake 3 MAP exporter for blender 2.64 (i guess is on mr wonko suite here on jkhub) but honestly for me worked only the oldest blender 2.48 with his specific Quake3 map exporter. is not a good way however, if you notice, tons of brushes are stretched out into the conversion on map format.

i know a way to port on 3d studio max 2010-2013 every kind of 3d stuff and convert into a map file, but is not again official released.

Can you contact me in discord if possible? ^_^

DarthValeria#6365