Jedi: Fallen Order

3 hours ago, Circa said:

I suppose I'll give a little review of it.

Overall I really liked it. I generally hate games with dodge/roll combat and enemies with giant health bars, but I played it on the lowest difficulty and it wasn't bad at all. 

Lucky you. I played on hardest difficulty and it was one of the most frustrating experiences I ever had with a star wars game.(I have made the list of all of it's issues)

Btw, what did you think of Tomb Raider and Prince Of Persia sections of the game ?

You didn't talk about them in your post.

NumberWan likes this
4 hours ago, dg1995 said:

Lucky you. I played on hardest difficulty and it was one of the most frustrating experiences I ever had with a star wars game.(I have made the list of all of it's issues)

Btw, what did you think of Tomb Raider and Prince Of Persia sections of the game ?

You didn't talk about them in your post.

You can lower the difficulty at any time. If you choose to put yourself through a frustrating experience, that's on you. Not sure what sections you're referring to.

MagSul likes this
5 hours ago, Circa said:

You can lower the difficulty at any time. If you choose to put yourself through a frustrating experience, that's on you. Not sure what sections you're referring to.

I played on hardest since that is the only way to see the combat in it's full potential. It's not my fault that combat isn't that good.(On the other hand TFU and JK games on hardest difficulty are far more enjoyable and fair.)

I meant the sections where you have to :

-Do platforming sections

-Run On Walls

-Swim underwater

-solve some puzzles

-Raid some tombs

-Climb on the ropes and swing from them to jump on another platform

Sounds like you're trying to force the game to be something it's not. Play it on a difficulty that you will enjoy, don't compare it to other games so much.

All of those sections you listed are elements seen in so many games over the history of gaming, and they were great in this game too. Not sure what you want me to say about them, they are pretty standard for action adventure games.

40 minutes ago, Circa said:

Sounds like you're trying to force the game to be something it's not. Play it on a difficulty that you will enjoy, don't compare it to other games so much.

All of those sections you listed are elements seen in so many games over the history of gaming, and they were great in this game too. Not sure what you want me to say about them, they are pretty standard for action adventure games.

Unfortunately, the lightsaber combat of this game can be compared to other Jedi Action games. JFO really had too much issues in that aspect compare to previous jedi type games. In JO and JA when you begin fighting a Jedi type enemy, the gunners will stop shooting at you because that would make the game too unbalanced. But on the other hand in JFO enemies just shoot at you any moment to kill you. When Cal dies by few hits the game should be completely balanced.

And those exploration sections are just in the way of combat imo. There is too much exploration compare to combat. Not saying that it shouldn't have any, but in jedi action type games exploration shouldn't have that much focus.If I wanted to climb the walls and raid tombs I would have played a Tomb Raider game instead of a Jedi Action game. That is the main reason on why Jedi Knight games and TFU games never had that much exploration sections because the developers knew what type of game they should actually make.

DarthBeefCake likes this

Then go play those games. That's such a shitty way of looking at games, to be honest. Every game that has ever existed has borrowed from past games, inspired by what other developers have done. By your logic, you should only be playing the games that did those specific things first. It's like saying any FPS game made after Doom shouldn't be bothered with. The exploration of this game was the best part about it to me. We've never had a Star Wars game with those elements before, and it was the core part of the whole plot: exploring to find answers.

Odeyseis likes this
23 hours ago, Circa said:

Then go play those games. That's such a shitty way of looking at games, to be honest. Every game that has ever existed has borrowed from past games, inspired by what other developers have done. By your logic, you should only be playing the games that did those specific things first. It's like saying any FPS game made after Doom shouldn't be bothered with. The exploration of this game was the best part about it to me. We've never had a Star Wars game with those elements before, and it was the core part of the whole plot: exploring to find answers.

Yeah it's shitty to expect getting a great Star Wars game. You may as well say that Star Wars Rogue Squadron 3 made a good choice of adding awful on foot sections even though that completely dragged the game down and killed the franchise.

The exploration sections of JFO added nothing to the game really. Other than adding more backtracking and making the game harder to be replayed.(JFO should not have been a Metroid Prime clone in exploration sections)

When developers make games they shouldn't just throw every idea at the game.

DarthBeefCake likes this
On 7/30/2019 at 9:13 PM, JesseHumphry said:

There are exactly two Star Wars games with consistent dismemberment, and they're both TFU games. Even in JKA it's sporadic. The idea that this game needs dismemberment to be good is an incredibly shallow thought. Dismemberment won't save this game. 

So wrong, TFU never had dismemberment AT ALL. TFU2 on the other hand did, but the reason for this was because the guy who made it told the age rating board that they werent people but robots, i kid you not. Hence the crazy dismemberment in it, shame it was so short had some great combat. JFO is a watered down, “cards played safe” type of game, which has taken so many ideas from other games its hard to even find what is unique about it. Its just boring, and overly hyped because of people looking at the game as a way to tell EA “see no micro transactions, we like it! 10/10” Even though the game is mediocre... 

dg1995 likes this

Also I hated this that in the end of the game:

You couldn't even fight Vader at all. 

It's like when the writers reached this part, the higher ups told them "Make Vader appear Badass ! We don't want Vader fans invade us for making him appear weak !"

Luke in episode 6 with much less training managed to beat  and overpower Vader by his anger. So Cal whom had much more training(And could fight At STs and bunch of stormtroopers) should have been able to defeat Vader.

Sadly we didn't saw that due to Vader fanboys that don't want to admit that Vader is actually a broken man that is being imprisoned in a suit that weakens him.

DarthBeefCake likes this
  • 1 month later...

I started playing the Fallen Order just a few days ago, and I felt disappointed with the very first mini-chapters, like Bracca or Bogano. My problem was that the game engine is really beautiful, but the developers didn't use it to the full potential to make the worlds more diverse. What I mean is that there are lots of decorations, but the planets don't look unique in any way. Bracca is another Ord Mantell or any other garbage planet from Star Wars. Bogano seemed to be far better with ancient temple, but I would have preferred some more civilisation, not empty canyons, where crates present skins and colors for your clothes, saber and BD-1 instead of some useful items.

But it could still be okey. The problem is that the game only has a few locations to visit, and these are quite familiar in most cases. Kashyyk is a clear copy of its predecessors from KOTOR, Republic Commando as well as Star Wars Kinect and The Force Unleashed (these two especially). The situation on the wookie world is the same: the Imperials occupied it, you have to free the locals and fight off stormtroopers. I would say, that this plays off nicely, if you consider Kashyyk being under oppression through different years, that you visit it as Starkiller or Cal Kestis (even though these aren't part of one universe/timeline). But I've seen all f this already, as well as AT-AT fight from Battlefront II...

Too bad no Coruscant or alive cities in this game.

My most disappointment is with the need of passing through the same locations again and again, fighting the same respawned enemies. It would be nice to see Zeffo changed after you leave it the first time, but the enemies appear in the very same manner, be it stormtroopers or local rats.  Save slots aren't in the "control points", but at specific meditation areas. Sometimes this works badly, as you fight a Jedi Hunter and KX droid afterwards without any pause. After you kill it no way to hide from AT-ST and multiple enemies, which might kill you, thus you fail with the third mini-boss in a row and have to play through all of them from the beginning.

Speaking of negative side, I can't ignore the positive things of the FO. The areas – as simple as they might be – look wonderful. Texturing and materials look realistic and you can almost feel the different structure. Classic elements from Star Wars are all present here, with old enemies having a new approach towards their look and abilities. You even meet some from the new films and this is a nice experience. Bogano is mysterious and full of exploration, while Zeffo gives deepness to the Galaxy by showing new ancient aliens. Puzzles are also good, perhaps like in Lara Croft, but not so many. 

Meeting Tach (little monkey used to create Tarisian ale) from KOTOR was a nice little surprise.

dg1995 and Smoo like this
  • Circa pinned this topic
On 3/17/2020 at 9:12 PM, NumberWan said:

Too bad no Coruscant or alive cities in this game.

As whole, I believe that Disney and Lucasfilm aren't fans of Prequel era cities in Star Wars for some reason ever since George Lucas left.

Guess they just listened to those "Prequels are bad!" complains and decided to make their Star Wars products more and more fan servicey.

Well, as far as I know, people loved Coruscant, but they didn't like the idea of too much Senate and the Senators. Politics. This was never a problem for me, because it gave the prequels a good old Babylon-V feel, or perhaps motives from the political series from 1970-1990s. Still marketing works in a different manner – it usually counts the risks, rather than what the "heart says". That's the reason between 1990s and 2010s – the enthusiasm is no longer a locomotive. At least for Star Wars franchise.

So I played up to the end and the game looks good. I would say, it serves the purpose and gives proper emotions. My complaints from the above post remain the same though.  

dg1995 likes this

Loved it, but I'll keep it short: I played specifically for the story so I put it on the easiest difficulty. It was still a little too high of difficulty. It was totally playable, but I wanted to be able to decimate enemies and never die. I wanted the story only. On the bright side I would have missed out on the subtleties of combat, so I suppose I get why they did that.

NumberWan and dg1995 like this

Haven't played it, probably wont until it's less than half the price it is now. Looks like another game where the saber behaves like a stick and not as dangerous as it is in JK2/JA where it passes through everything and even harms enemies in blocking animations.

This is what made TFU so insanely bad, the lightsaber behaved as if it were a glowing bat and not an energy weapon that passes through things causing massive damage to everything it touches.

9 hours ago, minilogoguy18 said:

Haven't played it, probably wont until it's less than half the price it is now. Looks like another game where the saber behaves like a stick and not as dangerous as it is in JK2/JA where it passes through everything and even harms enemies in blocking animations.

This is what made TFU so insanely bad, the lightsaber behaved as if it were a glowing bat and not an energy weapon that passes through things causing massive damage to everything it touches.

If you can get past that mindset, it's pretty darn good. I understand everyone wants JKA saber combat, but not every game can have that. For what this aimed to be, I feel like it succeeded. Definitely recommend picking it up when it's on a good sale.

I watched some clips, the story looks cool and interesting. I may pick it up at a later date.

It's just something I've noticed after watching a video with a interview with Mike Gummelt is that a lot of games just get the saber totally wrong. They make it into a physical thing with weight and collision. The JK games are the only ones that make it into what it really is, an energy weapon that burns everything it touches.

NumberWan likes this
On 4/21/2020 at 4:23 PM, minilogoguy18 said:

Really that excuse is really bad.

By that logic you can call Devil May Cry a bad game since the swords are just baseball bats that you hit the enemies until they die.(And you have to like hit them 10-20 times until they decide to die)

Also In JK games lightsabers were actually behaved like glowing bats when you fight dark jedis.(Unless you increased the dismemberment of lightsabers which then will turn it into a "Whoever lightsaber throws first wins")