Jedi: Fallen Order

Ya... reaaaaallllyyy not feeling this one...

I don't know, the combat just looks very dull. The Force Unleashed even looked better than this in my opinion. I don't care about wall climbing and running, so many games implement that nowadays that I don't care. No dismemberment, just burn marks? Ya, that better not be the case in the final game cause that would just be stupid. And more giant bugs.... what is it with EA star wars and giant bugs?! Speaking of "bugs", I see people saying that the game will improve a lot cause it's only in the alpha stage right now. Ya, no it won't. This thing has been in development for several years and is coming out in a few months. This is basically what we're getting. People use the alpha build argument for game reveals so much and it damn near never changes much at all. Its kinda funny but also slightly annoying, like people never learn. With EA's track record with "alphas" the final product may end up being WORSE.

To me, it looks like a failed hybrid of Jedi Outcast and Force Unleashed. I see similarities to both games here, yet the implementation is very clunky. The game looks good, but I mean that with hardly any praise to it. It has what is needed to make a game good, has several of the boxes checked off, and yet I don't see myself replaying this at all once I beat it once. 

Everytime I look at the protagonist, I just see Ian Gallagher from Shameless, like he's having a drug episode and imaging himself as a Star Wars character or something lol. I kept up with people complaining that the protagonist is a generic white male. I think those complaints are stupid AF but I do kinda wish we could've played as an alien species, like a Zabrak or Twilek.

I love how the comments keep comparing this game to JKO and JKA about how it doesn't hold a candle to it. That makes me really happy, people remember those games! and people can see that this game sucks in comparison.

You already know my thoughts on it. Even though the gameplay is ALPHA so far, so far I'm only looking in the direction of RESPAWN with an eyebrow raised in a good way since they essentially gave EA the middle finger and used Unreal Engine 4 for this game as opposed to the overrated Frostbite Engine. The other reason being Chris Avellone writing it, whom essentially wrote Kotor 2 and Fallout New Vegas.

Meh. Doesn't seem to be a bad game, but it's too much Rogue One for me. I guess a good unofficial name would be Rogue Zero: The Force Uncharted.

And more giant bugs.... what is it with EA star wars and giant bugs?!

It is a wild guess, but maybe it has something to do with the fact that the game didn't start out as a Star Wars game, and was subsequently Star Wars-ed? Maybe it's something they thought they could re-use from the original concept? Just randomly guessing.

NumberWan and General Howard like this

I'll give this one a try. We haven't seen decent Star Wars games in years, so playing a new story would be nice.

I do hope, that this won't be a "just Star Wats look-alike", but they would actually contribute something of their own, which would be in liaison with SW traditions – that's what Dark Forces and KOTOR did and still hold a mark in this regard.

The gameplay doesn't reveal much for now, imho, though as I said I am more concerned about the details – we need not just peculiar canyons of Pilio and green forests of Kashyyk, but vivid cities, full of aliens, citizens, smuggles and traders like Tatooine. I would gladly browse the streets of some sort of Coruscant-like cities, with thugs awaiting around the corner, or stealing a swoop while on a run from a criminal cartel in the Lower City or something like that.

No dismemberment, just burn marks? Ya, that better not be the case in the final game cause that would just be stupid.

Apparently it is the case:

The official word is that droids and creatures are fair game for having their arms and legs lopped off, but not humans. We can blame Disney and Lucasfilm for that. One of the lead designers on the game explained to me that cutting off a limb or a head is used sparingly for powerful moments in the games and films, so Lucasfilm wanted to keep those moments powerful. They may use it in a similar way in Fallen Order, during a big moment, cutscene, boss fight, or something like that, but you’re not going to be slicing off heads and arms left and right in a modern Star Wars game.

Apparently it is the case:

That's garbage logic. In the movies, blasters killed you in 1-2 hits. In games, they take dozens of shots. That's normal, it's a video game. I don't want it to be movie continuity, I want it to show everything the movies implied was possible while also making it fun to play, I want to replicate everything the movies made possible, dismemberment included. 

This is just Disney trying to defend their BS policies on violence. Lame AF.

You know what REALLY bugs me? All I want is just one open-world single player starwars game. Is there even one? I've only ever seen level-design games for star wars. Think about it:
-Battlefront
-KOTOR
-Jedi Knight
-Force Unleashed
-Rogue Squadron
-Whatever that SW RTS game was
-Republic Commando

...It's like the concept of "open world" doesn't exist for Star Wars and I have no idea why. It's a sad thing to think that the closest we have to an open world is a crappy mmorpg (SWTOR) and, in an amusing sort of way, Jedi Knight. Yes, I know, JK is also a level-design, but it's one of the few games with legitimate freedom of movement. Kotor tries but it feels so restrictive while only giving the appearance of free open-worlding (I mean, you can't even jump, and you're pretty bottle-necked ultimately).

Honestly, the climbing mechanics are cool. The combat is meh, but I don't expect much from EA. But, if they made it open world? If they gave us some like Assassin's Creed, even to a lesser degree, I'd be happy. Give me a Force Unleashed clone with an open world and let me GTA my way around with force powers and that'd be sick.

Nothing till I play it myself.

Trailers can be deceiving. But I will get it and expect it to be a brand new type of jedi action game compare to TFU and JK so that I won't get disappointed in it for being different mechanic and gameplay wise.

• 3 weeks later...

It seems good to me, but not as fabulous as it could be. I find it quite generic, although I think I will like it because it is a single player game in the third person with melee combat and special powers. (I also wait for Control from Remedy, whose charm for me is greater). But for me it is a pity that having the lightsaber combat system from Jedi Academy, they have not been inspired by that.

I want to replicate everything the movies made possible, dismemberment included. 

I agree, a dismemberment system like in Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance. But do not be as fragile as in the movies, because otherwise the fights would be too short, easy or difficult. And Star Wars does not lack justifications for a high toughness; cortosis armor, armor imbued in the Force, etc.

McGroose likes this

It's like the concept of "open world" doesn't exist for Star Wars and I have no idea why. 

The open world games are very expensive and although they have the resources to do something like it, I think they do not want to spend more because only for being Star Wars, they hope to sell a lot.

For open world, I would like to have a GTA style bounty hunter game. Unfortunately I don't think it's possible due to Disney.Since Disney doesn't want a SW game where kids can go around and kill everyone.

It seems good to me, but not as fabulous as it could be. I find it quite generic, although I think I will like it because it is a single player game in the third person with melee combat and special powers. (I also wait for Control from Remedy, whose charm for me is greater). But for me it is a pity that having the lightsaber combat system from Jedi Academy, they have not been inspired by that.

I think that's because:

1.Jedi Academy wasn't really that successful. (Even episode 3 game was more successful than JA.) 

2.And JA combat doesn't works well for consoles due to controllers.(Consoles are the main platform of games these days for selling far more copies than PC) 

But there is still some JK inspirations in this game though.(Slowing down time, force pulling)

For open world, I would like to have a GTA style bounty hunter game. Unfortunately I don't think it's possible due to Disney.Since Disney doesn't want a SW game where kids can go around and kill everyone.

I think that's because:

1.Jedi Academy wasn't really that successful. (Even episode 3 game was more successful than JA.) 

2.And JA combat doesn't works well for consoles due to controllers.(Consoles are the main platform of games these days for selling far more copies than PC) 

But there is still some JK inspirations in this game though.(Slowing down time, force pulling)

1. True, but they could have inspired by the combat of the Jedi Knight games. 

2. I have not played it on Xbox, but I've read in these forums that Jedi Academy plays pretty well with controller in Xbox. And although the Jedi Knight go against that modern tendency to design combat for controller, there are modern games that are handled better with keyboard and mouse, like Prey of Arkane, but I recognize that it is an exception.

About the slow down time, I see it inspired more in what Kylo does in The Force Awakens.

GamerRedNeck likes this

Imo combat of Jedi Knight is only great for lightsaber vs lightsaber but it doesn't work that well for lightsaber vs guns.(Since anyone that tries to run and gun will be too hard to hit with lightsaber. maybe that's why stormtroopers in JA will just stand and shoot most of the time.)

Since Jedi Fallen Order similar to TFU has far more lightsaber vs guns combat than lightsaber vs lightsaber(Since it's in dark times era) I think they made the right choice of not using JK 2 and JA combat for it.

Imo combat of Jedi Knight is only great for lightsaber vs lightsaber but it doesn't work that well for lightsaber vs guns.(Since anyone that tries to run and gun will be too hard to hit with lightsaber. maybe that's why stormtroopers in JA will just stand and shoot most of the time.)

Since Jedi Fallen Order similar to TFU has far more lightsaber vs guns combat than lightsaber vs lightsaber(Since it's in dark times era) I think they made the right choice of not using JK 2 and JA combat for it.

But in the video there are still a lot of melee enemies, even though they do not have lightsabers, so I still think they should have been inspired by Jedi Academy lightsaber combat.

On the other hand, I do not understand how there are so many stormtroopers with melee weapons; if I were one stormtrooper, I would put as much distance as possible between me and the enemy and try to attack with ambushes and at a distance. Of course, the same could be said of the protagonist.

Frumpus likes this

But in the video there are still a lot of melee enemies, even though they do not have lightsabers, so I still think they should have been inspired by Jedi Academy lightsaber combat.

On the other hand, I do not understand how there are so many stormtroopers with melee weapons; if I were one stormtrooper, I would put as much distance as possible between me and the enemy and try to attack with ambushes and at a distance. Of course, the same could be said of the protagonist.

Wouldn't the same apply to real life riot police and their use of batons instead of long range non-lethal weapons? My guess is that those stormtroopers are to quell any civilian uprising instead of to fight against terrorists.

Wouldn't the same apply to real life riot police and their use of batons instead of long range non-lethal weapons? My guess is that those stormtroopers are to quell any civilian uprising instead of to fight against terrorists.

But then they would have to flee, since it is not sensible to face a Jedi with that gear and not being a Force user.