Is this site dying?

The scorning came from requester pestering, passing off works as their own, having an entitled demeanor while requesting, impatience for modders, and comparing original work to a game studios work and requesting we just port the models as opposed to trying on our own. No one just woke up one day and decided to be jerks to the requesting community, there was just a complete disconnect between requesters and modders, and it drove a lot of modders away, hence asking some requesters to learn the ropes for themselves on the simpler stuff. The jkhub community is in its current state because of all parties involved, not just the modders.

The hostility towards ports at least personally stems from a few problems... the awesome talent that we have here being asked to just stop trying and port the original models, even though 1. The original models are built for much higher end engines and will cause issues if ported, and 2. It takes the fun out of it and turns modders from hobbyists to employees. Mods hurt a modeler because when one modeler spends months or years developing a model, then you just port over Lucas arts model next to it with 50,000 more polygons, you tend to be quite cruel with comparison. Not taking into account the need to drastically drop resolution for engine stability and just judging someone's 6 months of work vs a team of trained professionals and digital scans and limitless engine capabilities 4 years of work like they're somehow comparable. Also, a lot of requests just kinda stink and I think personally that I have to have some sort of interest in the model to work on it.

This is jkhub... for jedi knight games... skyrim, gta etc have their own sites, modders, community, and discords.

Your post was informative, thanks for that.

Yeah it seems people who're younger though just aren't that interested in this game anymore, all of em wanna play their battlefronts and such, and it ruins our chances of development.

ChalklYne and Smoo like this

It's not just the younger people that have moved on. I don't play JKA much anymore because I played it for 15 years. There are hundreds of games I want to play, not just the one I grew up playing. It's just how it goes. It's a miracle this community has survived as long as it has, honestly.

Teancum, z3filus, Smoo and 2 others like this

95% of my models now are for sale on various sites, but I still have all my old models and will work on them from time to time. I still have the passion for it, just also gotta pay bills raise kids spend time with the wife... I wish there was a younger person with the passion I have and time I lack.

Triple post combo, r.i.p. bergen

Is there any place in which I could see your work? I love studying other people's art.

ChalklYne and Smoo like this

Sure! Let me get a new PSU and I'll hook u up with links. I should just update my sketchfab for portfolio purposes anyway. I sell mainly on cgtrader and turbosquid... I think I had something like daz3d as well but wasn't generating any traffic. I even sunk so low as to considering finishing my tfu mod and releasing it as standalone models in a huge pack for a couple bucks... But figured it rather dooshy and dropped the idea.

Smoo and TheWhitePhoenix like this

Sure! Let me get a new PSU and I'll hook u up with links. I should just update my sketchfab for portfolio purposes anyway. I sell mainly on cgtrader and turbosquid... I think I had something like daz3d as well but wasn't generating any traffic. I even sunk so low as to considering finishing my tfu mod and releasing it as standalone models in a huge pack for a couple bucks... But figured it rather dooshy and dropped the idea.

So a PSU is why you haven't posted a lot. I'm guessing that money is really tight atm.

Nah I haven't been posting because I've been working on saluable material .. but I check jkhub just about every morning, lurking in the shadows. The PSU just blew like 2 weeks ago or so. Yeah money's tight for things like that, took my kids to Disneyworld last month for their summer vacation and have been slowly recovering since

In fact .. I started modding jka when my daughter was 1... She's 11 now lol

Nah I haven't been posting because I've been working on saluable material .. but I check jkhub just about every morning, lurking in the shadows. The PSU just blew like 2 weeks ago or so. Yeah money's tight for things like that, took my kids to Disneyworld last month for their summer vacation and have been slowly recovering since

Time flies by, eh?

ChalklYne likes this

That's awesome. Your Jabba the hutt model inspired me to start trying to do stuff with custom skeletons in JA

ChalklYne likes this

It's not just the younger people that have moved on. I don't play JKA much anymore because I played it for 15 years. There are hundreds of games I want to play, not just the one I grew up playing. It's just how it goes. It's a miracle this community has survived as long as it has, honestly.

That's really it, isn't it. I still visit the massassi.net and jkhub.net because I grew up with JK:DF2. I still play though it once a year or so, but it's mostly the nostalgia that keeps me curious.

Smoo and Jeff like this
  • 1 month later...

Until you actually pull the plug on this website, this community isn't going anywhere. This so called Disney era hasn't been approved by everyone but Star Wars is nonetheless very popular and while others grow out of this all; new people will find and embrace the awesomeness of Jedi Knight. Ironically that sounds exactly like what is happening in the new movies! One day perhaps even sooner than we expect, someone will be amazed by the many mods and projects here and you get to say; 

SkeletalBronzeAcornwoodpecker-size_restr