Future contests

What kinds of contests would you guys like to see? Mod contests are generally what we stick with but would other art contests be of interest, like wallpaper art or best JK-related animated GIF? We could get creative. We have seen a request for timed mod contests (like best map made in under 1 day) but those are hard to moderate and activity needs to be high for that to succeed well. But we're not against it. Share your thoughts.

Futuza, Artemis, Smoo and 1 other like this

I like the idea of contest being as open as possible regarding what can be submitted, whether it's models, maps, animations, wallpapers, videos or anything. I would avoid things that require being done in short notice since perhaps not everybody reads the forums daily, but I'd certainly love the idea of monthly competitions. 

If I recall correctly, that was attempted unofficially and ended up being a disaster, due to certain people feeling they have ownership over the project more than others. Group mapping is really tough, coming from personal experience. You have to compromise a lot, especially if your group members don't share the same vision, or even the same skill level.

The other big issue is the lack of mappers that would participate. Most people that make maps already have big projects they're working on.

I'm not saying we couldn't try it, but those are my concerns.

@@Noodle the short notice concern is one I have as well. That's not something we can do well in a forum setting, without have a pretty hefty trust system, where we just have to trust people that they didn't spend more than the allotted time.

The complaint we got was that our competitions don't encourage actual competition enough. We generally give about a month's time, and the variety of mods that can be submitted are too broad. So a simple animation mod may look really simple compared to a map, but that doesn't necessarily mean either person spent less time on it than the other, or that it's better or worse. Limited the mod type can make that a lot more interesting and competitive.

It's not like that'd be the only type of contest we'd do from now on. It's just a way to mix it up, instead of doing holiday themed contests every single time.

Noodle likes this