*HELP* / Guidance needed on my Michael Jordan playermodel; Using Blender

Go to solution Solved by The Punisher,

So, I've been fiddling with Blender for a few weeks now, working on a Michael Jordan (and happens to be my first) model/skin; making it for JK3. I used a GrayFox (JK2) model and Frankensteined a MaceWinduNK (JK3) head... I finally got to where I was happy with the way it looked (still not completely done with skinning). Blender exports the model as it is right now. But then the trouble (and unknown) begins.

mj001.png

Some more info: From what I can tell, the hierarchy looks correct; The armband, legband, shorts, and jersey top are additions I added (they are their own individual objects(?); Everything was rooted to the skeleton; Everything was properly parented.

So like I said, it lets me export the GLM file. I then created a 'model_default.skin' file, made an npc file, pk3'd it (inc. textures), and tested it. Upon loading the model, it shows this:

mjscreenshot002.jpg

Then if I try to import the model.glm file that I successfully exported, it gives me this error:

blendererror003.png

and the import looks like this, with virtually everything unparented and the UV maps/textures messed up:

004-error.png

I'm not 100% sure where something is going wrong. On other JK2 models I import, then export, I can import the exported versions just fine. 

Sidenote (that may be of worth to those with experience): With part of my troubleshooting, I decided to delete the additional objects I had made to see if it would export okay but it gives a LOD error: torso_0 … suggesting that I split the UV mesh somewhere (but I have no idea if it is the torso, or a child of the torso that needs more edge splits, and know of no quick way to tell where a seam is merged, and thus needs to split...especially if it is an imported object foreign to Blender). But this error is not thrown when I export it with the jersey. It's odd.

So there's a lot of info. If anyone can make sense of any of it, I'd appreciate it. I'd hate to throw this away given how much time I've invested in it the past few weeks. 

Heya ksgWXfan.

Usually when the segments are missing or grey/white in colour it means that the skin file is incorrect in some way, either spelling or reference. Check your skin file and check the segment names in Blender.

I haven't done JKA mod stuff in a while so I may be wrong. But to my experience and recollection, this is the issue.

ooeJack

• Solution

Without looking at the model would be difficult to identify the actual issue but the issue on the screenshots seems to be a naming issue. Seems you have 2 "meshes" with the same object name (in the ghoul2 properties), therefore one of them is over-written by the other during export.

As for the seams issue, there are a few posts about it. You can check https://jkhub.org/topic/8009-assistance-needed-for-blender/?hl=%2Bseams+%2Bfrom+%2Ban+%2Bisland&do=findComment&comment=115635

ksgWXfan likes this

Thanks for the tips. One of the problems I had was the ghoul2 properties. for my jersey objects I had copied them from existing objects, and thus they had the same name. But I got that cleared up. I have the model working now...just going to be doing some tweaks and working within the pk3.

ooeJack likes this