The Daily Modding Challenge Project

Day 9 Mod:

I've been practicing to advance my modelling more, but my recent attemps have failed, so I decided to work on another quick pose resource to upload today. Hopefully it'll be useful for people who need more animations for their mods! 

Preview Pic:

pmz7c6c.png

Download link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/jntn4kyitu4e18q/Daily_Challenge9.rar?dl=0

I like this crate so much, I might even fabricate one out of SS or cold rolled.

Cool, don't forget to post pictures if you build one in real life. I could provide the 3d models if that's of any help.

Edit: Added the source files to the original post. So guys, knock yourself out with them! :P

I will repeat myself again...BEVEL those edges, don't leave them flat at 45 degrees! The low poly version, if it's the actual game mesh, should have tons of details removed that's why you're using the normal map in the first place to "fake" details on a model without the added cost. The normal map will be enough to fake the details IF you bevel and model your details properly. ;)

So, my first entry.

@@Sting inspired me to start modelling a crate, so here it is. :)

Highpoly model

XAY1NeR.png

Lowpoly model

DgIERiL.png

I will repeat myself again...BEVEL those edges, don't leave them flat at 45 degrees! The low poly version, if it's the actual game mesh, should have tons of details removed that's why you're using the normal map in the first place to "fake" details on a model without the added cost. The normal map will be enough to fake the details IF you bevel and model your details properly. ;)

In jka, you are joking right? I kept some of the detail in the low poly to look good in a game that does not support normal mapping in the first place. I wont bevel more in the lowpoly because it already has a high poly count for that game. I understand your point, but it feels like super picky and not thought through. If I'd model for ue4 this would be a valid point imo.

Edit: Looks like I misunderstood your point. The highpoly is beveled completely, maybe not to the point of your liking. Thats a valid point. The point about removing more details in the lowpoly for a jka mesh still is nonesence imo.

I love reading the discussion since it gives more insight to those that don't know a lot about modeling and optimization!

Day 10 Model: 

This is a very simple model I did to save time while mapping. I mixed a lot of recent techniques I've learnt and used textures from textures.com to make it look more realistic. I used basic color painting to make the parts that should have less light darker and also to add some slight shadows to some zones in which I wanted to give the illusion of depth. I'll make more variations of this table in the following days and I will also try to experiment a bit more with hand-painting stuff. 

Preview Pic:

ZP7CSIf.png

Download link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/cilg1bq7w8up0pr/Daily_Challenge10.rar?dl=0

Psyk0Sith, scp_chaos1 and SomaZ like this

What about rend2 man?! Doesn't that support normal mapping?! :D I was assuming normal maps when i saw the high poly!

Yea, there will be a rend2 normal mapped one and I will rework parts of the highpoly. I was kind of hurt that you said that I did not bevel those edges even if every damn edge is already beveled. Though the low poly model will remain the same, because I need to support the vanilla renderer and rend2. I also noticed that the alignment between the lowpoly and the highpoly was slightly off when I was baking them. So pls, dont caps shout BEVEL to me again. I'm rusty, not a noob. :P

Cool, don't forget to post pictures if you build one in real life. I could provide the 3d models if that's of any help.

Edit: Added the source files to the original post. So guys, knock yourself out with them! :P

Indeed I will. Just the reference pics are fine.

SomaZ likes this

Day 12 Kitbash:

I've been very busy with work today, so I used the small window of time I had to play with blender by adding some hats and helmets to the base human female model. All headgear comes from base JA and has it's respective LOD. 

Preview Pics:

amEP8QWg.jpg

A2Pb2Mig.jpg

fAoABPV.jpg

Download link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/36ypbwnwrkf68d2/Daily_Challenge12.rar?dl=0

Lancelot, JAWSFreelao and the_raven like this

Day 12 Kitbash:

I've been very busy with work today, so I used the small window of time I had to play with blender by adding some hats and helmets to the base human female model. All headgear comes from base JA and has it's respective LOD. 

Preview Pics:

amEP8QWg.jpg

A2Pb2Mig.jpg

fAoABPV.jpg

Download link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/36ypbwnwrkf68d2/Daily_Challenge12.rar?dl=0

Nice! *_*

Does it only support human female?

Day 13 Kitbash:

I'm still loaded with work so I haven't been able to sit and relax with blender for too long. Still, I did the continuation of yesterday's project by adding the helmets and hats to the human male and also updating the female one so it has the classic rebel helmet too. 

Preview Pics: 

kZshr2w.jpg

nY2Slqe.jpg

WLXDR8M.jpg

62waVCl.jpg

Download Link:  https://www.dropbox.com/s/scr5q714puiegi9/Daily_Challenge13.rar?dl=0

You mean if you're not short of time, right?

No, I meant what I said. Doing kitbashes takes way less time than creating your own stuff from scratch. I've been short of time recently because I'm moving out to a new place, hence why I might no be able to do what I want to during these days. Today I wanted to do something a bit more complex, but I wasn't able to properly do what I wanted to, so instead I updated the female head model with a new object. Download link is same as before.

Pic related:

PSaFm0f.jpg

MagSul likes this

No, I meant what I said. Doing kitbashes takes way less time than creating your own stuff from scratch. I've been short of time recently because I'm moving out to a new place, hence why I might no be able to do what I want to during these days. Today I wanted to do something a bit more complex, but I wasn't able to properly do what I wanted to, so instead I updated the female head model with a new object. Download link is same as before.

Pic related:

PSaFm0f.jpg

Ah, now I get it.

Funny goggles. :D

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if I'm able to commit to this, but here's a simple file I made.

Something I noticed when looking through the files is that Raven didn't bother changing Rosh's victory sounds (victory1, victory2, victory3) for rosh_dark

Which means he has a 1/3 chance of saying "I'm a great Jedi!" when he's on the dark side... Yeah, little bit awkward and unfitting, not gonna lie.

This fixes that by using a voice clip taken from Skyrim to say "Not so tough now, are ya?"

Download: https://www.mediafire.com/file/qxxga73ts7tocil/Rosh_Dark_I%27m_A_Great_Jedi_Fix.pk3/file

Artemis, the_raven and Noodle like this