Force texture is plain white

So for some reason my game just shows the force push circle as plain white, and it's ugly. I've had this for the longest time.

How it's supposed to look (I circled it in red) looks practically invisible:

RKEGJnQ.png

How mine looks:

EZz7NGQ.jpg

I've even removed all mods/pk3's out of my base folder, and this still happens even with everything at factory settings.

Am I missing a texture/shader? Or is it simply a case of activating a command? :shrug:

Are you using an OpenGL to Directx 9 converter?

I have no idea honestly. I don't even know how to check that.

Edit: did some digging around found this command helped me:

cg_rendertotexturefx "0"

While it doesn't show any bubble at all it's still better than the white circle crap.

I remember when sometimes mods would mess up the game and the effect would remain even after the mod is deleted. But i thought such issues have long been solved for JKA. :huh:

Have you tried looking through the game assets, to see if the effect/ texture is affected in any way?

Also, did you delete everything? Because sometimes people forget script extending mods (openjk, ja+) are mods too and leave them, but the problem is actually caused by these mods. If so, maybe you did something in one of those mods' graphics settings, and your computer decided not to render it properly.

I remember when sometimes mods would mess up the game and the effect would remain even after the mod is deleted. But i thought such issues have long been solved for JKA. :huh:

Have you tried looking through the game assets, to see if the effect/ texture is affected in any way?

Also, did you delete everything? Because sometimes people forget script extending mods (openjk, ja+) are mods too and leave them, but the problem is actually caused by these mods. If so, maybe you did something in one of those mods' graphics settings, and your computer decided not to render it properly.

If I knew what texture the bubble used (name etc) I could see all associated shaders applied to it and could attempt a patch/fix.

I'd suggest wiping your config files, you seem to be having multiple of these kinds of issues.

Yeah I did wipe them too, restored everything to factory defaults etc. It still had the bubble problem. Luckily that command I found removes the bubble entirely, which isn't what I wanted but it's better than white circles.

@@Daedra have you checked for conflicting mods?

Could also be a driver issue.

Like I've already said, I have reset everything and removed all mods, and it still happens. I also installed a fresh version on a different computer (physical disc copy of JKA) and ran it from new install and it still happens, even on a different PC! Perhaps it's an issue with the physical copy? I'm not sure.

Like I've already said, I have reset everything and removed all mods, and it still happens. I also installed a fresh version on a different computer (physical disc copy of JKA) and ran it from new install and it still happens, even on a different PC! Perhaps it's an issue with the physical copy? I'm not sure.

so this is base JASP?

How long have you had the disk? Did you install the game from it before? Maybe at one point you bought it, installed from it, noticed the issue, but brushed off, then bought the game again online and forgot about the previous issue, but now remembered it, installing from the disk again? This kind of stuff does (did?) happen with pirated hard-copies that are (were?) sold in stores. Worst thing is, you have little way of knowing if the copy is pirated until you actually get home, try installing the game, and come across issues. Yeah, you can take it back, demand your money back or get a different game, but it's a bit of a hussle. I've had quite a few such cases:

a) somewhere around 2003, i got my dad to buy me Serious Sam: The Second Encounter, it looked fine on the outside, but no matter how hard we tried, the game just wouldn't install, instead, the installer gave us a screensaver and some kind of wallpaper that required an internet connection (thinking back, maybe that was an actually legit copy and required online activation? :huh:);

b) i once bought a Bugs Bunny game about time travel (no, not the one with Taz), it installed alright, but would stop playing after the first level - it was a demo-version!

c) i once bought a copy of GTA: Vice City where all vanilla music on the radio has been replaced by Eminem, Rammstein, and Russian pop - imagine our (my best friend and mine) surprise when we played a legit copy! I still have that cd though, and frankly, the new music was just better in my opinion;

d) same story with GTA: San Andreas, except that this time around, there was no music at all, just the commercials - i'd borrow SA from friends, and the issue was quite persistent (my cousin's copy also had replaced taxis, police cars, and Taco Bell and Pizza Hut restaurants), but when i did buy my own copy, it was a cheap pirated version with a Miami Vice mod installed as the default, and it looked like it was made in DYOM! Needless to say, i was utterly pissed - you couldn't even play the game's default story on that copy!

e) the first "home" copy of JA, i borrowed from a classmate. in it, there were no options in character creation, so i'd always play as a stormtrooper with a fem-Jaden voice. Not too bad really, most of the rest of the game was pretty much intact. Once i bought my own copy, the issue was fixed, but the multiplayer would crash to frontend after a few minutes of playing, even when playing offline against bots.

All in all, them's are some fun memories. :lol:

How long have you had the disk? Did you install the game from it before? Maybe at one point you bought it, installed from it, noticed the issue, but brushed off, then bought the game again online and forgot about the previous issue, but now remembered it, installing from the disk again? This kind of stuff does (did?) happen with pirated hard-copies that are (were?) sold in stores. Worst thing is, you have little way of knowing if the copy is pirated until you actually get home, try installing the game, and come across issues. Yeah, you can take it back, demand your money back or get a different game, but it's a bit of a hussle. I've had quite a few such cases:

a) somewhere around 2003, i got my dad to buy me Serious Sam: The Second Encounter, it looked fine on the outside, but no matter how hard we tried, the game just wouldn't install, instead, the installer gave us a screensaver and some kind of wallpaper that required an internet connection (thinking back, maybe that was an actually legit copy and required online activation? :huh:);

b) i once bought a Bugs Bunny game about time travel (no, not the one with Taz), it installed alright, but would stop playing after the first level - it was a demo-version!

c) i once bought a copy of GTA: Vice City where all vanilla music on the radio has been replaced by Eminem, Rammstein, and Russian pop - imagine our (my best friend and mine) surprise when we played a legit copy! I still have that cd though, and frankly, the new music was just better in my opinion;

d) same story with GTA: San Andreas, except that this time around, there was no music at all, just the commercials - i'd borrow SA from friends, and the issue was quite persistent (my cousin's copy also had replaced taxis, police cars, and Taco Bell and Pizza Hut restaurants), but when i did buy my own copy, it was a cheap pirated version with a Miami Vice mod installed as the default, and it looked like it was made in DYOM! Needless to say, i was utterly pissed - you couldn't even play the game's default story on that copy!

e) the first "home" copy of JA, i borrowed from a classmate. in it, there were no options in character creation, so i'd always play as a stormtrooper with a fem-Jaden voice. Not too bad really, most of the rest of the game was pretty much intact. Once i bought my own copy, the issue was fixed, but the multiplayer would crash to frontend after a few minutes of playing, even when playing offline against bots.

All in all, them's are some fun memories. :lol:

It's actually in mint condition. It's not pirated or anything, it is legit, and has the official booklets inside the case also in mint condition, like new. I've had it at least 5 years. I never purchased JKA online ever in my life. I installed the game perfectly fine without errors/issues. I can't recall if that force bubble was always like that or not. I only know that problem has existed for as long as I can recall (because I assumed that a white force bubble was normal for the longest time).

Could be an issue with JA and Intel graphics.

It's most likely an issue with the Intel HD Graphics.

If that were the case, then why was it doing the same thing on the other computer I have? The graphics are superior on that PC compared to the Intel HD Graphics on this one, and it still had the force bubble texture/shader somehow not appearing/working in-game.

Like I said, if someone could tell me what the texture name is and/or show me what the shader for the force bubble is supposed to be, I can do some tinkering to see if I'm missing anything.

Like I said, if someone could tell me what the texture name is and/or show me what the shader for the force bubble is supposed to be, I can do some tinkering to see if I'm missing anything.

Nobody can. Because it's a hardcoded effect.

And if you plugged your monitor into the mainbords video output instead of the GPU output on that other PC then that PC would have used the internal Graphics device, which may also not support this effect. Or it could boil down to a driver issue, which you could check by updating the video drivers on both PCs.