Roleplaying Mod?

Hi everyone,

The more and more I look around, there seems to be a real desire for a comprehensive JA RP Mod accessible to the community. I personally have a few friends who are interested in creating a server at the moment, and I'm sure there are several others within the JKA RP enthusiasts. However, we are unreliable in terms of coding ability. Would anyone be willing and / or able to fill this gap and work with my community? I've reached out to a few coders independently, but I thought it might be a good idea to ask the wider community what they thought! While many of us roleplayers are aware of current Roleplaying communities, it seems to me that most of them are not what people are looking for. Even the older, 'serious' roleplaying communities have either remained hidden from most people or have just not what been for people are looking for. 

A mod that is flexible and provides the basic framework of Roleplay within JKA would be great. If any Coders / Developers are around, we would all appreciate it!

Something along the lines with:

• an admin command system with effects, spawn points and everything in between including setting music, map and weather
  • an XP and in-game account system, so people could have their XP applied by admins for a sense of progression, as well as the ability to set health / force power or have it done via xp amount
  • an edited Lightsaber system? I've played around with OJP, but it's a shame their RP project died on the vine. Not necessarily important to the project

Obviously, making a mod and then implementing it onto a server are very different things, as I'm sure there would need to be some online databasing for a secure account / admin system? It doesn't have to be pretty or extremely detailed, but something for us Roleplaying enthusiasts to easily work with would be of great help to the community.

In any case, any advice, help or support would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for reading!

-Rev

You'd probably have better odds at randomly finding enough money somewhere to buy an entire development team rather than have someone here actually fully develop a mod for someone XD

Not trying to be mean, just realistic! With what you listed, you should check out Lugormod and maybe that Zyk OpenJK mod.

The former is a great mod for roleplaying and our community uses it like once every year or so for "hardcore rp".
There are level system, classes, buildings with permissions, owning houses, making npcs follow you, having credits and items, list goes on.
The latter I haven't tried personally so I can't really comment.

Roleplaying in JKA, no matter what mods and customization -- will always ultimately come down to the imagination and immersion of your fellow roleplayers.
The game is dated and even with mods, eventually: Things will be become stale and repetitive. There are for example entity limits on maps so even what you can do on maps with lugormod is limited too.

You need discipline, patience and a lot of time as things aren't usually going to be super exciting.

You have to really be into stuff like *Reading a book* while sitting in a library and refraining from jumping/wallrunning all over the place at all times.
It takes a lot of discipline and I believe it died more due to the fact that people actually grew out of it rather than the game not allowing for it.
You will find it very difficult to find enough people to actively fill a RP server who actually know how to RP too.

For example, aiming at someone will show them your name as "Revolution" yet that person isnt meant to go "HEY REVO WHATS UP", but rather --> "Hey, who are you?".
Not all people grasp that concept XD

We are over 100 forum active members and have the best activity out of any JKA server today, but we still can't keep the interest for RP going if we did it as a constant thing hence the rarity of hardcore rp events.

Our community has RP elements to it but we naturally adapted to what the people wanted, which is a more laidback experience with occasional RP if you ultimately want it in the form of a master|padawan relationship among other things. The community has structure that is in line with roleplay, but you dont have to spend your day pretending to live as a jedi basically. Rather it happens in the background as you attempt to pass missions and trials which basically teach you the game and what it can do while promoting coop with your fellow clan mates.

The only remaining *pure* RP community that I know which should be rather hardcore and actually has its own mod is the ::JEDI:: clan. I'm sure they are still around, but like I said:

You have to basically be a hardcore roleplayer to fit in there. Their mod will make any other RP mod in JKA obsolete, and they have exclusive rights to it which they will never share from what I know.
If you truly are into a real roleplay experience, they are the place to go and I imagine they have the best structure for roleplaying in terms of teaching you that stuff. They have been around for a very long time so clearly whatever they do there, must work really well.

https://www.jofacademy.eu/ for {JoF}

https://www.jediholo.net/ for ::JEDI::

Lastly: Creating a new clan/community today is a very difficult task and unless you can sustain new members constantly on a weekly basis, you are going to dry out rather quickly. Your current members will not be playing for eternity and one by one, they will drop in activity until nothing remains.

I would highly recommend joining an already established and active community as such communities have enough going on for them which allows them to actually sustain players for a longer period of time rather than sitting in a server and dreaming about the possibilities that are likely to never go anywhere. Yeah I realize I may be shattering dreams by saying this, but I am speaking from experience and its just my two cents, nothing more. By creating a new clan/community, you are indirectly in competition with other clans and communities for recruiting new members. And most members are not going to be choosing a clan that has little to no activity. While new concepts and ideas are always exciting, chances are someone has already done them by now considering we are 15 years into the games release date. If they are not around today, something simply was not working to cause that. But if you dont plan on sticking around for the long haul, then by all means: Go nuts on your own. But if you actually want your time to ...artifically matter -> It would be much smarter to bet on something that has had a long and successful past as opposed to something with no past at all.

EDIT: Shit this got super long. Its 4 AM, I am feeling deep LOL.

Thanks for the reply mate!

I know what you mean about most people not being able to commit to 'serious' RP, and I'm definitely aware of the other RPing communities that are out there.

It sounds like a colossal task, but there is a numerous amount of Mods that have been created with Open Source accessibility that could all be accumulated into one larger mod that would serve the RPing community. OpenRP, OJP and Clan Mod (not open source) are the obvious ones that I have found! OJP Roleplaying Edition seemed to be the holy grail, but 'mainstream' work on it seems to have gone quiet, and the files of OJP:RP seem to have been lost, despite several communities that are now shut down claiming to have ran it. I've been scouring for some time for them but most progress has been pretty slow!

If I was a better Coder, I'd delve into the project myself, but I'm afraid my skills are rather limited - even if the foundation of a Roleplaying Mod already exists in other mods that have been made Open Source.