HELP--Trying to Get Jedi Outcast to Work on Windows 10!

I snagged Jedi Outcast off of GOG this black friday after playing through Jedi Academy. To play Jedi Academy, I just needed to run the game in compatability mode for Windows XP. I attempted this for Outcast and it boots up to the main menu, but it is missing all text for new game, load, quit etc--even the spinning Jedi Knight symbol is missing. I was able to sort of get it to work with the text, but the spinny Jedi symbol was in the middle of the screen and clipping with the text, and as soon as I moved to interact with any option the game would crash. Also, everytime it crashes it SUPER screws up the color settings of my computer. 

I'm running bootcamp on my Macbook Pro with Windows 10. Anyone know of a fix?

Smoo likes this

Sounds like a screen resolution problem, try going into the base folder and modifying the "jk2config.cfg" with notepad and alter the resolution by changing these lines...

r_customwidth

r_customheight

r_mode "-1"

For the width and height you'll need to enter your monitors native resolution. It sounds like you're zoomed in.

I could be totally wrong, Macs are blasphemous machines in the PC gaming world. Weird that you have to use the compatibility settings, I don't have to.

Smoo and IndyWOaJacket like this

Make sure your video drivers are updated. You shouldn't need to run it in compatibility mode, especially all the way back to XP. Make sure to try running the game as Administrator. If you can get it to load without crashing, try the suggestion above. The issue isn't because you're running it on a MacBook, but it could mean the drivers aren't updated. Finding drivers in Bootcamp can be a pain, but try going to Device Manager and right clicking the video driver and update.

Make sure your video drivers are updated. You shouldn't need to run it in compatibility mode, especially all the way back to XP. Make sure to try running the game as Administrator. If you can get it to load without crashing, try the suggestion above. The issue isn't because you're running it on a MacBook, but it could mean the drivers aren't updated. Finding drivers in Bootcamp can be a pain, but try going to Device Manager and right clicking the video driver and update.

I updated the driver and the game no longer screws up the colors when it crashes. Now I can boot up to the point of having the jedi symbol spinning in the wrong place and the text appearing, but my desktop mouse appears in the middle of the screen and sort of vibrates as I move the in-game mouse. When I click to interact, the game still crashes.

Smoo likes this

The game now works, but the colors are very very dark, the menu is alright, but the game is basically pitch black. I turned the the gamma settings within setup to maximum but it didn't change anything. I also went to the notebook and changed the r_gamma, and it did not have an effect either. The spinny jedi knight symbol is also still in the wrong place.

EDIT: Was able to fix brightness settings, but now for some reason the game doesn't want to recognize the x-axis of the right analog stick on my gamepad.

EDIT 2: Fixed the gamepad issue by purchasing Xpadder. Thank you guys so much for your help! Now to let the modding begin!

minilogoguy18 likes this

It would only have write protection if you weren't the owner of the file and didn't have permission to access it. You'd also find this stuff in the properties. You should open the file with notepad and see if the resolution is set to what you want it or if it's set to what it keeps defaulting to. I've also had issues where an installed mod that had it's own .cfg file caused conflicts and the base game would load it's .cfg rather than the one in the base folder.