Shader files not loading

While attempting to utilize some custom textures and shaders, I've hit a small snag.
The texture files load up ok in Radiant 1.5, however it doesnt appear to be reading the shader file.
What I mean is, in the texture editor, there is not a telltale white ring around the textures referenced in the shader.
It appears to affect only custom textures/shaders as the default ones work properly (as much as possible for JO).

I've tried to use 2 different texture/shader sets, as well as attempting to use the "Moonbase Alpha" textures/shaders as a control test. None of the shaders seems to want to load properly.
Some specs if interested:
Lenovo laptop runnin Win10, and using disk based copy of JO.
I've attempted to set the "read only" option for the folders/files to off, and that doesnt help.
Any assistance would be great.

Thanks.

Langerd likes this

Check out some of my previous works:
JK Hub - [Editor: Zero Raven]

so of course, I add in to shaderlist.txt, the names of the referenced shader files, (tried just the name, and the name.shader) and still the textures do not appear encircled as they should.
Console in Radiant says 0 shaders loaded.
It also says its unable to find the shadertags.xml in the jk2.game folder.
I'm slowly running out of ideas here, lol.

No I mean when I'm using custom textures, like if I look good in a new texture pack. I have some textures I'm planning on using, however even though I have a Shader file in my Shader folder and it's in the Shader list, the textures aren't being highlighted in the editor like they're supposed to be. So lights are a perfect example, there not being surrounded by that typical white square that usually accompanies Shader textures.

No I mean when I'm using custom textures, like if I look good in a new texture pack. I have some textures I'm planning on using, however even though I have a Shader file in my Shader folder and it's in the Shader list, the textures aren't being highlighted in the editor like they're supposed to be. So lights are a perfect example, there not being surrounded by that typical white square that usually accompanies Shader textures.

You mean it doesnt show with the texture in the editor? Or in the game? If in the editor make sure you add this line into your shader :

-qer_editorimage textures/*folder of textures*/*texture you want to show in the editor*

For example - qer_editorimage textures/amace_leviathan/wall3

RAILBACK likes this

You mean it doesnt show with the texture in the editor? Or in the game? If in the editor make sure you add this line into your shader :

-qer_editorimage textures/*folder of textures*/*texture you want to show in the editor*

For example - qer_editorimage textures/amace_leviathan/wall3

Langerd, no that's not what I mean.

Here is an example from my pk02.shader:

textures/pk02/pk02_ceiling02_c

{

qer_editorimage textures/pk02/pk02_ceiling02_c.tga

q3map_surfacelight 7500

q3map_backSplash 0.5 8

q3map_nolightmap

q3map_lightRGB 1 1 1

{

map textures/pk02/pk02_ceiling02_c.tga

blendFunc GL_DST_COLOR GL_ZERO

rgbGen const ( 1.00 1.00 1.00 )

}

{

map textures/pk02/pk02_ceiling02_i.tga

blendFunc GL_ONE GL_ONE

rgbGen const ( 1.00 1.00 1.00 )

glow

}

}

What I mean is, in the editors texture browser, the default textures that have shaders, i.e. lights & computers screens, have a white box around them to differentiate them from non shadered textures.

Unfortunately in my editor window, my textures, such as that ceiling light in the example above, do not have a white box around them.

The shader file is listed on my shaderlist.txt file, and the shaders SHOULD be valid (I'll run them through ShaderED to verify, but this isn't my first time writing custom shaders), but they just don't seem to be working.

Again, using Radiant 1.5, on Windows 10, so maybe its a compatibility issue?

@@Apprentice
The games default textures and shaders show up just fine, in the editor, in the texture browser, and in game.
I think it may just be an editor glitch, since the shaders seem to load in game when testing (celing texture appears lit), except they don't show in game. just the white lines on black background.
Using gamedata/base as a folder (always have) so new texture folders are in the base/textures folder, and shaders are in the base/shaders folder.

None of the shaders seem to work in game. ShaderED says no error.

For JO it still is SV_PURE 0 to enable custom shaders and stuff right?

Okay thats a start. You're aware of the acronym: kis ? = keep it simple. Lets start with the basics. Load up default shaders and make sure they work. If they work, then open up a default shader in notepad that's similar to the shader you want. Copy that section and replace all default textures with your own. Name new shader. Put it on the shader.list. Load in Radiant. You can also use the 'refresh/reload' shaders option in Radiant. If none of the shaders in Radiant work then I would start looking at the radiant.log files. You can have a quick look at the bottom of Radiant and move the text window up a bit to see what loaded and what didn't.

Assuming you know how shaderED works, you actually double clicked on the texture IN the texture window....right? This brings up a window with the shader & stages. You clicked on the 2nd window (stages) and it doesn't have any errors flashing? Also, when you are looking at the texture, if the name on the texture is grey, it's fine. If the letters of the name are red, theres an error.

If you see missing textures that are black with white lines, bring up the console. Read what the game could not load. It wont tell you in detail what's wrong. It might say: Couldn't load texture or: couldn't find, etc.

If you have tried all this and you still can't get any custom shaders to work in Radiant, back up all your JA files, open up your bedroom window and toss your PC down onto the street (check for cars & people first).

@@ZeroRaven

That shader excerpt is looking fine, so I doubt that that's your problem.

But here's a silly idea, something that quite a few people run into that can really mess with you...

Are you displaying file extensions on windows? If you're not it may be that you have some filename shenanigans like the following going on:

myawesomeshader.shader.txt
I remember finding this after a long and painful time of searching for the reason why someone elses shaders wouldn't work.

@@ZeroRaven

That shader excerpt is looking fine, so I doubt that that's your problem.

But here's a silly idea, something that quite a few people run into that can really mess with you...

Are you displaying file extensions on windows? If you're not it may be that you have some filename shenanigans like the following going on:

myawesomeshader.shader.txt
I remember finding this after a long and painful time of searching for the reason why someone elses shaders wouldn't work.

No, it's listed as only pk02.shader, that was one of the first things I checked.

As I said, I think it's a glitch with radiant since the shader effects, like lighting, seem to load in-game, however it's not showing the custom textures.

That's why I asked if it was sv_pure 0, before devmap (map name).

Also, using JO, not JA presently.

I use 1.5 when most of mappers use 1.4.

You mean in game it is showing a grid like texture? You mean this glowing blurry shader that shows there is no texture? Maybe you made a mistake somewhere.

Wrong " { " in wrong place in the shader glitched my entire game. Even the first menu when i loaded the game - it was glitched. Because of one mistake in the shader.

The issue in the editor might be caused that you typed wrong shader in shaderlist. Or maybe space or something i remember i had some issues with the shaderlist.

Did you check the console?

I think Langerd is correct. That's why my earlier post states make some control tests. Simple things are sometimes overlooked. In your pk02 shader folder, did you put a jpg in the folder instead of a tga? 

I ignore sv_pure 0, when testing.

All the texture files in my folder are .tga

I double checked the pk02 shader in ShaderED, no errors listed.

Not sure whats going on, but the textures refuse to load up in game and its proving quite detrimental.

All the texture files in my folder are .tga

I double checked the pk02 shader in ShaderED, no errors listed.

Not sure whats going on, but the textures refuse to load up in game and its proving quite detrimental.

Did you checked the console? 

Show us some screens in editor and in game with the console and without it.

Also give us screen of the shaderlist. Dont copy paste text. I prefer to see a screenshot from wordpad or notepad.