NPC's aiming too high

Lately most of the NPC's I'm doing by the NPC-Tool don't hit me any longer with their shots. They are shooting above my head. It seems the NPC's are thinking my playermodel would be much taller. Anyone ever had that problem? Does someone know how to fix that?

I don't know how to post a screenshot here, could someone explain it to me? I think if someone can see what my problem is, it will get clearer. 

I didn't know how to get a screenshot in here, so i uploaded it. Here is the Link:

https://jkhub.org/files/file/3503-screenshot-npcs-aiming-too-high/

Maybe someone can help me now

Yours sincerely,

To share images here, you have to upload via a third party site like Imgur and click the image button to post the link to it. I will post yours for you here, since you took the time to submit your image as a file, and delete it from there.

YSGss7e.jpg

Can you show us your NPC files so we can see what's going on?

iXLLgwF.jpg

dLkGmiI.jpg

Thank you :-) So, this is how it looks in the game.

and here my npc files for those models:

1. The imperial technician (grey guy in the middle)

imptech
{
fullName "imptech"
playerModel imp_techM
weapon WP_BLASTER_PISTOL
rank ensign
aim 4
intelligence 5
reactions 4
playerTeam TEAM_ENEMY
enemyTeam TEAM_PLAYER
class CLASS_IMPWORKER
health 50
yawSpeed 120
walkSpeed 55
runSpeed 200
snd io1
sndcombat io1
sndextra io1
sndjedi io1
}

2. The imperial gunner (black-dressed guy on the left)

impgunner
{
playerModel gunner
height 48
headPitchRangeDown 30
weapon WP_BLASTER
rank crewman
aggression 4
aim 4
playerTeam TEAM_ENEMY
enemyTeam TEAM_PLAYER
snd worker2
sndcombat worker2
sndextra worker2
}

3. Vizam (guy on the right side)

vizam
{
fullName "vizam"
playerModel Vizam
weapon WP_BOWCASTER
rank ltjg
aggression 4
aim 4
evasion 4
move 4
reactions 4
playerTeam TEAM_ENEMY
enemyTeam TEAM_PLAYER
class CLASS_WEEQUAY
health 90
yawSpeed 140
walkSpeed 55
runSpeed 200
snd weequay
sndcombat weequay
sndextra weequay
sndjedi weequay
}

It's not a problem with a mod. I tried doing them on another pc with a new installation and I got exactly the same problem.

I came across this problem at least twice: the first one being the model I played for – it was a fan-made character, and JO/JA models would aim at something else instead of the Player model, somewhere above the head. I might assume it has something to do with tags in the model of the Player.

The second time happened with the classic Weequay NPC and its original model: we made a script, that made the NPC use their bowcaster. Instead of shooting a certain target, Weequay would aim somewhere in the ceiling or so. The target wasn't NPC or Player – it was sort of model_misc or similar to target_.

In your screenshots you use the classic Jaden model, so why this problem occured  – that's a question.  :huh:

An interesting fact is, that this problem just occurs with some of the models.

Some just work fine, while others aim somewhere else.

There are no differencies in the npc files of a functioning and a non-functioning NPC.

I think it has something to do with the model-files themselves.

• 3 months later...

Do those playermodels do the same thing for EVERY weapon? Or is it only happening with the specific weapon they have currently equipped?

If the playermodels do the same thing for EVERY weapon, it could be either A) a playermodel problem (unlikely) or B) a global setting for the weapons (most likely).

If the playermodels do it for only the one weapon that's equipped, it can be either A) a playermodel problem (likely) or B) a weird setting in the .dab file of the weapon (also likely).

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I found out that, if I use the model.glm file of a functioning playermodel the problem does not occur - the npc is aiming right then, but of course if you do that you have a problem with the skin of the playermodel now.

I just want to say maybe it is something in that model.glm file that causes this trouble. Could that be possible? Any ideas?

The problem is within the playermodel's .glm themselves. I was just having this problem right now with the Death Watch pack released by JAWS, the npcs were aiming too high. I opened the models in blender and saw that they had no head tags. So I imported the head tags from the kyle model and now they work just fine. Try to open them in blender and see what's wrong or if you don't know how to do it I can take a look at them for you, just send them over.