Want more JKA players? Add more languages.

Hello, I'd like to add KANJI (Chinese characters, that many languages use) to JKA with MULTIPLAYER support.  I'd also like to add Kana (which is combined with KANJI, so Japanese people can play).  My target is actually the Japanese language, because I could help translate and even advertise the project upon completion.  Maybe later on, an auto-translation solution could also be developed, and I have some ideas there, but I'll save that for later.

Ok, so how is this done?  Where do I start?  Is there a mod out there currently that supports these characters?  I would have to assume a part of the game that supports languages would have to be reprogrammed to support KANJI and KANA.  Maybe this can be done with OpenJK then?

From what I've seen so far, there was a Korean pk3 mod, but it could not target multiplayer chat or console.  It simply translated strings of text for the menu and SP.  It seems like MP only supports the predefined languages, and therefore some programming would be needed.  I want to target MP and make as many characters as possible available for chat and console.  Kanji/Kana did not even work in SP, let alone MP.

I'm somewhat familiar with Java.  My experience with C/C++ is limited, but I can understand some.  In order to tackle this project, I need someone intimately familiar with the source and willing to work with me to accomplish this project.  It would be a great learning experience, and could open up this game to several countries.

Steam and Discord in my profile.

~HiddenSpy

Smoo likes this