Lucasarts Desktop Adventure series

Hello people,

Some of you who are very familiar with or knowledgeable about Lucasarts' catalogue of games will remember that during the 90s between their major releases they also published a couple of small sized games based on the Indiana Jones franchise and later the Star Wars franchise; Indiana Jones and his Desktop Adventures and Star Wars Yoda Stories.

These games were meant as something to do during a break or when one had to fill some time between appointments and they were primarily meant as competitors to Windows included games such as Solitaire.
They were very simple Zelda esque games but a bit more static regarding animation but could provide quite a lengthy campaign complete with storylines that fitted both franchises.

Sadly the big review mags and websites at the time treated both as if they were big releases that were to compete with Lucasarts other games and other big games and got rather negative reviews because of that. Something that was rather undeserved as the games did not even cost as much such as a title like Tie Fighter.

I still like these little games and and to this day occasionally play them, though I do take long breaks between periods that I play them as they can become too repetitive.
Despite being very simple the graphics had a charm of their own as I really liked some of the backgrounds in either games and while not very complex the little storylines have stuck with me.

Are there any people here who also liked either of these games?

On an Indiana Jones forum I have been talking with another poster on how I would like it if Indy Desktop was remade but now as a higher budget title with an open world environment and recreating the quests from the original game in this, expanding it here and there to fit a larger game. My contact and two of his friends now are working on a demo that try to recreate at least one of those quests.
Eventually I would also like to open a topic about Yoda Stories here in the appropriate sub forum and how I think it could be remade in in the Jedi Academy engine, using the mission setup for the fifteen missions of that game and the minor missions on Dagobah in between.

Smoo likes this