What are your views on paying for mods?

It's a historically sensitive subject. Fundamentally the idea of offering to commission work from a skilled artist is entirely sensible - most of the hesitation around it comes from the fear doing so would eventually lead to an environment in which only paid mods get made.

On the other hand I would seriously question the sanity of anyone who offers to part with good money for the sake of bringing Ugandan Knuckles to a 15 year old game. ;)

It's a historically sensitive subject. Fundamentally the idea of offering to commission work from a skilled artist is entirely sensible - most of the hesitation around it comes from the fear doing so would eventually lead to an environment in which only paid mods get made.

On the other hand I would seriously question the sanity of anyone who offers to part with good money for the sake of bringing Ugandan Knuckles to a 15 year old game. ;)

I was thinking of paying for a mod to be made, but Ugandan Knuckles isn't it. :P

People spend money asking artists to do fanart, so I don't see how crazy would it be to do the same in the modding scene. 

I paid for one or two eons ago. Creator was happy, I was happy. Incentives are good as long as one doesn't get too greedy. And of course willing buyer. If you could deliver the moon, sure I'd pay.

Would have totally paid for custom items for tournament or achievements back then when JKA was still hot. Sadly those that I know and even myself have left the game now.

One thing always bugged me though. Even if we had an agreement to keep the item between ourselves only, always felt that one day it might still leak out. But that's just me.

Wasa likes this

I paid for one or two eons ago. Creator was happy, I was happy. Incentives are good as long as one doesn't get too greedy. And of course willing buyer. If you could deliver the moon, sure I'd pay.

Would have totally paid for custom items for tournament or achievements back then when JKA was still hot. Sadly those that I know and even myself have left the game now.

One thing always bugged me though. Even if we had an agreement to keep the item between ourselves only, always felt that one day it might still leak out. But that's just me.

But if you and your pals quit the game, why bother keeping a file between yourselves? It's not a family hairloom or collectable item, it won't end up costing hundreds of $$$ in 50 years :lol:

But if you and your pals quit the game, why bother keeping a file between yourselves? It's not a family hairloom or collectable item, it won't end up costing hundreds of $$$ in 50 years :lol:

They paid for it so they has a right to keep it to themselves. It's like paying for a fast food, y'know?  

Well if I had a say, specifically clan-only model definitely wouldn't want that going outside >< especially if I paid good money for it. Sentimental value I suppose.

But sentimental value aside, if none of you will be using it anymore, why bother?

They paid for it so they has a right to keep it to themselves. It's like paying for a fast food, y'know?  

Fast food is different though.

Have you ever been in a clan that you cared a lot for? Was or is a leader of? Call it pride if you want. Sounds better than yep I paid for it thus the rights are mine X) (but thank you Wasanohime~  :P)

I played before 1.01 was even out...I've seen plenty of sabotage, spies and people who join other clans to destabilize it from within, one of my server providers accidentally (lazily) copied my server for another client, can't fault me for being paranoid. But those are tales for another time.

Or maybe you can say I'm like MoonDog who's left this forum since people took his stuff, used it left right center and called it theirs with a minor bit of tweaking. Not that I'm after credit. But effort / or money has been put in. Particularly if that something that has been made is unique.

Wasa likes this

Have you ever been in a clan that you cared a lot for? Was or is a leader of? Call it pride if you want. Sounds better than yep I paid for it thus the rights are mine X) (but thank you Wasanohime~  :P)

I played before 1.01 was even out...I've seen plenty of sabotage, spies and people who join other clans to destabilize it from within, one of my server providers accidentally (lazily) copied my server for another client, can't fault me for being paranoid. But those are tales for another time.

Or maybe you can say I'm like MoonDog who's left this forum since people took his stuff, used it left right center and called it theirs with a minor bit of tweaking. Not that I'm after credit. But effort / or money has been put in. Particularly if that something that has been made is unique.

I get what you're saying, my point is just that's it's a waste, if neither you, nor your friends are using it anymore.

Anyway, moving on.