Charlie Rose Interview with George Lucas

Charlie Rose Interview  

5 members have voted

1. 1. Before the last few days, have you watched this interview?

• Only partially (segments of it)
    • Yes, I've sat through the full thing
    • Only heard about it in the media
    • Just the "white slavers" related segment
    • No, didn't know about it

Just curious, how many people have actually watched the whole length of this infamous interview since it was released, three years ago?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jWtbJxzGpQ

Three years later, after he had been heavily attacked by the media following this, it appears to me that George is being completely sincere here (as he felt he had nothing to lose), and he explains here why he made the decision to sell Lucasfilm and Star Wars -- a heartbreaking but morally responsible decision if there ever was one.

It also offers a good glimpse into how today's movie business operates and why the quality of new movies produced is on a constant decline (as well as a glimpse into Disney's movie business logic).

Also worth pointing out that Lucas had recently wrapped up working on Red Tails when this interview took place, an all-black movie that was poorly received by Hollywood, hence why he felt inclined to use the metaphor of "white slavers" -- which, while harsh, IMHO, is not entirely inappropriate, and valid criticism, especially now that we've seen what Disney has been doing with the world of Star Wars.

I urge anyone who hasn't watched the full interview to do so, if you are interested in the future of both the movie biz and Star Wars.

It is also worth mentioning that Steven Spielberg, the creator of the blockbuster, has similar thoughts and predictions about the current state of Hollywood.

Smoo likes this

Off topic, Red Tails is actually a pretty decent movie

Yep, a solid air-war movie, and both Lucas and Spielberg know that. Hence Lucas' bitterness directed towards Hollywood corporations/publishers (a.k.a "white slavers"). They'd rather redo the same story a hundred times, abuse it, repackage it and sell it than actually invest in and promote a brand new, quality film that is trying something different.

The movie has a lot of memorable characters. I loved Easy's drama/story, and I love Smokey as a character. Also, their all-faith major (Cuba Gooding Jr.) was quite interesting. And, of course, Terrence Howard delivered a solid performance as the colonel.

The air-fight scenes were spectacular.

Smoo likes this

The other movie Lucas has produced and released since selling the company, Strange Magic, is also quite innovative and a lot of fun. The marketing for it (done by Disney) was dismal. That also happened before the shooting of this interview. Since then, Strange Magic is becoming somewhat of a cult classic.

Smoo likes this