Jedi Academy main menu bug

I haven't booted up JKA in a few months, but when I tried to start single player yesterday, the main menu was extremely slow to the point the cursor jumped across the screen with small mouse movements. Along with that the main menu video was completely white. I've tried both the GOG version and steam version with multiple reinstalls. Here is an image of my issue. https://imagebin.ca/v/47M7Wp0jx3kl

I am using the same computer I've been playing this game for years with and it is doing this all of a sudden. Any ideas? 

I've encountered the same issue as well, I originally thought it was caused by disk access problems, but I've had others disprove that.  I think its probably caused by a Windows 10 update or driver update.  Which version are you on for Windows?  I've found that if you restart the client enough times it will eventually run normally, which is why I thought maybe superfetch or similar processes in Windows that control disk access were causing the issue - but its likely just coincidence.

Also to provide more information on what I've seen on my end: You get like 1-5 fps in the menu and then if you load a map this will also continue and you'll continue to get extremely slow unplayable performance.  Its even a burden just to open the console.  Happens with OpenJK and JKA (and JKG).  I've never seen it happen on my desktop (which has an SSD and nvidia card), but have had it happen on laptops (but only on Windows 10 ones).  The issue also either occurs or it doesn't after launching the game (it never reverts in the middle of playing, after loading a new map etc).  Seems to happen about 40% of launches and the rest of the time its fine.  To get around it for now I've usually just had to the launch the game a few times (and just ~ /quit when it doesn't work) until it works normally and then its fine.

JKG Developer

• 1 month later...