A new Kylo Ren's reskin

Hey everyone! I'm currently working on Plasma's Kylo Ren's reskin (the original model: https://jkhub.org/files/file/2977-kylo-ren-tfa-tlj/) and I'd like to share some details with you.

Well, it concerns Episode 7th's models by now, I don't know, if I'm gonna change smth at 8th's (yes probably). We'll see about that  ;)

I'm new to this thing and I had no idea how to work with models until I've started this project. But I've done a good job in my opinion, especially for a newbie. Actually, the first model is already done. I only need to finish retexturing. The next ones (there will be 5 models) are based on the first one, so the process should be going faster.

Some info about changes I've done. The most part of my work took the skirt (hips robes). There were some mistakes and many attempts, but eventually I've done what I wanted. Well, 99% of it  :D

I was also trying to do the side cuts, but it doesn't work in the game the way I want. Anyway, I'm pleased the result a lot!

Also, there was some work with padding (editing), hood (replacement and editing), the left part of the scarf (torso cape - editing), hips (replacement), boots (replacement) and the main retexturing (still working on it  :D). The models will have a more darker view (darker outfit), it's closer to the film version in my opinion.

Dunno what to say else, I'll just give you some look with comparison with the original model (by Plasma).

This little tease is from the back, because it's done. I mean the texture. When I finish the retexturing, I'll give you the full picture of the model  ;)

I hope you will like it! Share your opinion down here and May the Force be with You  :kylo:

Kylo_Rens_comparison_01.jpg

Kylo_Rens_comparison_02.jpg

Kylo_Rens_comparison_03.jpg

See if you can do something with the sleeves, too.. They’re currently too “fat” and not accurate to the model/character, at all. It’s always been one of Kylo Ren’s models’ biggest problems. The fact that nobody’s managed to get his sleeves the way they should be. Psyk0Sith did, but he “deleted” his work, after not working on it for so long.

See if you can do something with the sleeves, too.. They’re currently too “fat” and not accurate to the model/character, at all. It’s always been one of Kylo Ren’s models’ biggest problems. The fact that nobody’s managed to get his sleeves the ya they should be. Psyk0Sith did, but he “deleted” his work, after not working on it for so long.

Well, with my skirt's size they fit enough (doesn't look so "fat").

We'll see)

Thanks for your feedback!

General Howard likes this

Well, with my skirt's size they fit enough (doesn't look so "fat").

We'll see)

Thanks for your feedback!

Well, if you need any references.. There’s tonnes of images on google. But if you have it, you could also use Battlefront II’s Kylo Ren model as a go to. It’ll give you a pretty good basis with which to work with. Good luck!

Mr. Ren likes this
  • 1 month later...

So, while you're waiting for it, I'd like to introduce the list of the models, which I'm going to include into reskin:

- Regular Kylo (with the full outfit):

118087.jpg

- Hood down version:

maxresdefault.jpg

- Unmasked with the scarf version:

G667tTr.jpg

- Masked with no scarf version:

13576c0baa2a2592df741ff5115199cc.jpg

- Unmasked with no scarf version:

the_force_awakens___kylo_ren_promo_shot_

This list concerns only Episode VII versions by now. We'll see about next actions. I need to finish these ones first.

How will this model be different to Plasmas?  :)

Well, check the first post with some screens of Plasma's and mine.

You can already see some changes I've done.

When I finish retexturing and post screens of the front view and sides, you'll see more difference  ;)

That's why I do a comparison screens  :)

Tompa9 likes this
  • 2 weeks later...

Well, check the first post with some screens of Plasma's and mine.

You can already see some changes I've done.

I'm sorry but I don't see the difference, other than a minor change in the hood - Is changing the black to another tone of black really worth it? Seems like nitpicking to me.

Could you perhaps give us more screenshots that show these ''changes'' a bit better?

Jeff and Wasa like this

I'm sorry but I don't see the difference, other than a minor change in the hood - Is changing the black to another tone of black really worth it? Seems like nitpicking to me.

Could you perhaps give us more screenshots that show these ''changes'' a bit better?

There's also the list of changes in the post with the screenshots.

About recolour - yes, it is, because that was one of the reasons I decided to do reskin.

And it's not a black colour, that's the point. I'd say it's light grey or a middle one and I've made it darker. There are only a few parts left. I think the new way of the tone gives a closer skin to the film version.

Don't worry, there'll be more screenshots soon. Patience  :)

I just want you can see the full picture, not just a random unfinished parts.

What about hood from front view bro? :)

The hood is the same one that is in Kualan's model, but with a few changes (I've made it a bit more accurate).

Let me finish the mask (I'm currently working with it) and I'll post the upper belt shot, so you could see it  ;)

The biggest qualm I have with all (Yes.. All lol) the Kylo Ren models, on JKHub.. Are how inaccurate the sleeves are. Everybody seems to just give him "fat" sleeves, when this is exactly the opposite of how he actually has them. It can't be that hard to do.. Surely? It seems very lazy to me, to just give him "fat" sleeves. Psyk0Sith got it spot on, with his model (before he unfortunately discarded it.. Such a shame. But it is what it is).

But I'm glad you've posted that image above, zefilus. Hopefully, that'll help @@Mr. Ren out, in that area of the model's look. But this is looking really good so far, Mr. Ren. Keep up the good work! :winkthumb:

z3filus and Mr. Ren like this

The biggest qualm I have with all (Yes.. All lol) the Kylo Ren models, on JKHub.. Are how inaccurate the sleeves are. Everybody seems to just give him "fat" sleeves, when this is exactly the opposite of how he actually has them. It can't be that hard to do.. Surely? It seems very lazy to me, to just give him "fat" sleeves. Psyk0Sith got it spot on, with his model (before he unfortunately discarded it.. Such a shame. But it is what it is).

But I'm glad you've posted that image above, zefilus. Hopefully, that'll help @@Mr. Ren out, in that area of the model's look. But this is looking really good so far, Mr. Ren. Keep up the good work! :winkthumb:

I've got your point, mate, about sleeves.

I'll try to do smth with them, but that will probably be for V 2.0, I guess.

And I saw lots of images, while I was looking for smth I needed and I know what do you guys mean.

But still I like Plasma's model. I just wanna show my vision of it.

So, I guess I'll do some attempts about sleeves, but later.

And yeah, thx for your support!  :winkthumb:

So, after a few requests here about showing more details, I decided to "slightly open the curtain", since the first model is done and retexturing is going to the end.

This is WIP after all. I just didn't want to show every part I've done, like a shot every time some part is done. It's kinda meh  :P

But anyway, since the picture is almost full, I'll show you what do I have at the moment.

Remember, it's still WIP (unfinished), so some parts don't fit each other. I hope you'll like what you see.

P.S. if you want to wait for a full look at the model, just do not check this.

I'll show you the front view of the first model + some bonus  ;)

And remember, this is ModView. The game look will be a lil' different. More comparison screenshots with the Plasma's one arrive when I finish the retexturing.

kylo_ren_000.jpg

kylo_ren_001.jpg

kylo_ren_002.jpg

kylo_ren_003.jpg

kylo_ren_004.jpg

kylo_ren_005.jpg

And as the bonus, I'll give you some look at the unmasked version with the haircut I'm planning to release it.

The hair shape will stay the same, but I don't know about colour yet. It might be become different at the end. Anyway, I like the way it fits the head.

kylo_ren_nomask_000.jpg

kylo_ren_nomask_001.jpg

kylo_ren_nomask_002.jpg

kylo_ren_nomask_003.jpg

kylo_ren_nomask_004.jpg

kylo_ren_nomask_005.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...