Filling model requests

No worries. I've allocated extra space in my threads for your own personal balderdash. Everyone knows the best place for a train is utterly derailed. I'm also aware that there was no better purpose to be served with your time than to meticulously cut and paste other people's art and display as your own... my personal favorite modding attribute. I as well must apologize for my lack of apology towards your demeanor and understand that the evolutionary bus took a few detours en route. However.... are you aware young padawan that I'm just busting your balls and that insignia looks spot on? XD Top shelf. 

Daedra likes this

Tweaking the mesh. Disregard the sculpt it was just to help me get my forms correct. The next sculpt will be a bit more detailed and I'll fix his derpy mouth in a sec.

wo4kN58.png

tweaking that adjusted my mesh to look more like

y9Yz3pG.png

he's ready for crits before i unwrap. ill give it a few hours, if nothing important comes in then ill unwrap and sculpt and paint

Also, thank you @@AshuraDX, for the sketchfab embedding knowledge...dont know why i didnt try that

Change the shape of the mouth, it should be the opposite of what you have now. Make the shape of the chin match reference.
As far as mesh tweaks, don't forget to add joints for elbows, wrists and fingers. The belly needs to be rounder, either add more loops or partial cuts to make the silhouette rounder.

Jabba2.jpg

ChalklYne likes this

@@Psyk0Sith I will do just that. I try to be so frugal with verts but end up never making spherical spheres. Ill give him some more love around all joints and stomache.Thank you! Would you recommend when making a mesh to start out rather high res then reduce, or start with as few verts as possible then add to it where it needs it? Just so I don't keep getting into the same predicament.

Edit:

Changes Psyk0Sith pointed out. Hopefully its rounder and the mouth and chin are more accurate. Also added in a few edge loops for joints.

Round enough or should i add a few more to the bottom area?

Psyk0Sith and ZanderNao like this

@@Psyk0Sith I will do just that. I try to be so frugal with verts but end up never making spherical spheres. Ill give him some more love around all joints and stomache.Thank you! Would you recommend when making a mesh to start out rather high res then reduce, or start with as few verts as possible then add to it where it needs it? Just so I don't keep getting into the same predicament.

Round enough or should i add a few more to the bottom area?

There you go, simple fix but goes a long way.

I tend to add lots of details from the start, i usually ball park the target count as i go and optimize in the end. Adding details after isn't a bad approach because when you start low, you're speeding up the blocking process. You can focus on volume and do changes quickly since you don't have a ton of verts to manipulate. It's an old school approach for me however, because i build the high poly first so when i retopo there's no need to think about volume and silhouette as much, if i have done my high poly properly. There's a few tweaks here and there when needed but not like in the "old days".

What matters in the end is the silhouette of the character viewed at all angles. Example, click on sketchfab model and set the rendering to metalness, now that you have a 100% diffuse model, you can check the silhouette, anything out of place will be noticeable right away. Rotate the mesh to side view and look at how sharp the lower part of the belly is, you should pull out those verts for a smoother organic shape. So maybe it will require more verts, but do what you can with the current state and if it ain't enough, add more. When adding verts, don't forget to squeeze the most out of them so they contribute to the smoothness of the outline.

Side note: for a low poly game mesh you don't have to add full edgeloops everytime you want to improve smoothness, you could add only one vert and improve the model. The "whole-model-needs-quads" mentality is purely an habit to develop for faster edgeloop manipulation and should be dumped unless your dealing with a 30,000 tris character or some tessallation requirements.

Also i guess i forgot to mention but i recommend you rotate the forearm and hand just like the root pose of JA characters, it's better to twist a straight mesh than try to untwist a twisted one.

P.S.: The secret to kickass spheres is those primitive ones made out of tris! ;)

There you go, simple fix but goes a long way.

Thats all very helpful info im sure we could all use, thank you for the insight. I'll adjust the lower half and check out the silhouette next. Yeah I try to use quads everywhere but it is quite a headache. Ill also tweak the arm angles that makes a lot of sense. Thanks for everything!

Maybe you could have him sorta swing his arms to propel him forward?

I dont know why i didnt mention that... I didnt do his arms i was just trying to rough draft his tail and how he propelled himself... The arms arent even rigged. Good eye though

Droidy365 likes this

@@minilogoguy18 yeah about 20 minutes ago i decided to remodel it. I just couldnt tweak it to look right, and decided that even if i did, it wouldnt work right. noob issue to forget a whole finger too lol so ill remodel the hands today at some point

what about the roundness of his underside? shouldnt i make that a bit more flat?

ZanderNao likes this

Also... how in the blue flames of fuck did i forget a finger? XD

fixed it now.... just... still. wtf

Lol i didn't even check enough references to see how many fingers he had or i would've pointed it out.

Another crit i'd like to add is the transition between the forearm and the hand, instead of going from "big forearm" to small wrist, make the transition more balanced, anatomically speaking there's very little chances to have slim wrists when you have flabby arms.

I found some helpful references for you, i realize you might be going for a younger Jabba but you could do a mix of both young / old: http://plubakter.blogspot.com/2011/12/jabba-hutt-step-by-step.html

Wow all those crits and refs are what will make this a decent model i really appreciate it all.

Remodeled hands flat bulged bottom fatter wrists transitions lets see how this looks.

I wouldve done this earlier but instead spent hours on the weird side of youtube and now know obama made hitler and chem trails turn the frogs gay.

hows this looking? those refs @@Psyk0Sith posted have me wanting to remodel so much... but i think maybe some adjustments in zbrush might help... we'll see... mainly the neck fat

Psyk0Sith likes this

V51gSaX.png

weld this loop or downsize it to fix this cylindrical indentation - a dish shape is what you want.

the clipping here could also be reduced with some slight retouching

vkPP9ZQ.png

you could make these two tris cancel each other out by adding the green edge and removing the two red ones.

I think you may have overbulged the wrists now - that's all I got for the moment @@ChalklYne

The topology looks pretty solid and the shape is good too! - may benefit from some asymmetry - but that could be tweaked later!