Filling model requests

That's good to know, i haven't updated xnormal in a while so i was not aware (and do most of my baking in max)...does it support unity, unreal, maya, max, source, input tangent? etc.

Handplane Baker is also fairly decent and has support for different input tangents.

Handplane Baker is also fairly decent and has support for different input tangents.

Yes, already mentioned, the support for different engines is the main interest, it wasn't a baking tool like xnormal in previous dev state.

I started with this ill keep playing with it

Is that the matcap you use to sculpt on? Because it's a terrible matcap, even for showcasing.

Try some of these instead (or the stock ones that look more like clay):

http://www.mediafire.com/?fsbeuid0hbc5778

http://www.mediafire.com/?jd1nnw5rr8mrz1o

ChalklYne likes this

Is that the matcap you use to sculpt on? Because it's a terrible matcap, even for showcasing.

Try some of these instead (or the stock ones that look more like clay):

I honestly just didnt think it mattered much.

I swap between a few different ones while i sculpt because different ones show different stuff. That red wax or whatever just happened to be the one I was on. 

Those do look nice though

3D5KX8i.png

it does help me see some spots that i thought were bulgier and need revisiting

like his neck fold needed to be... foldier

2Cm8pjf.png

I dunno. I'm just sorta winging it at this point as im not sure what im going for lol. Maybe I shoulda established that in the beginning. Lets pick one age, one hutt, one reference, and sculpt that one. Im just kinda bouncing around freestyling a Jabba therefore i'll never know if I got it right

regardless Im liking it, I could paint him now and release him and still sleep at night. Although I know not many people have the software or time or skills to go back through and fix where I'm being lazy with new skins so I might as well get it correct now so the normals line up with the textures.

for rend2 purposes and what not

ZanderNao, DarthStiv and Lancelot like this

I honestly just didnt think it mattered much.

I swap between a few different ones while i sculpt because different ones show different stuff. That red wax or whatever just happened to be the one I was on. 

Those do look nice though

3D5KX8i.png

it does help me see some spots that i thought were bulgier and need revisiting

like his neck fold needed to be... foldier

2Cm8pjf.png

I dunno. I'm just sorta winging it at this point as im not sure what im going for lol. Maybe I shoulda established that in the beginning. Lets pick one age, one hutt, one reference, and sculpt that one. Im just kinda bouncing around freestyling a Jabba therefore i'll never know if I got it right

regardless Im liking it, I could paint him now and release him and still sleep at night. Although I know not many people have the software or time or skills to go back through and fix where I'm being lazy with new skins so I might as well get it correct now so the normals line up with the textures.

for rend2 purposes and what not

There are a LOT of hutts beyond just Jabba, so winging it doesn't seem bad at all... Especially since this was taken on casually. I'm floored at your progress, and absolutely beside myself with how well the community came in to advise and teach and share.

I'm glad it's at a point you could paint and release, but I'm also glad you're looking at correcting it now too. Thank you for taking this on!

Here's a bit of reference for the underbelly and tail shape.

91t-MveB6XL._SL1500_.jpg

Also the skin seems to have way more lines in it in that toy. A strange tattoo on his arm and squid-like holes under his tail.

The tail is more pointed at the tip.

britain-entertainment-tussauds-starwars2

star-wars-jabba-the-hutt-and-throne-delu

I think ill only go by movie and behind the scenes refs from the actual puppet. Those toys' tails look way off from that. I appreciate the effort and all... But im going for film quality... clone wars, cartoons, toys, etc to me are inaccurate. I will agree that it could be a bit sharper

Tip: Don't be afraid to create really blocky forms, almost as if you were modeling hard surface. Establish a hard structure behind anatomy or it will come out blobby. It does require practice but there's no other way to do it.

Are you referring to the sculpt? If so, youve hit the nail on the head with me... I use.. The standard brush... Lol... I know to use clay or clay buildup and to make sure the whole model gets touched... But i just keep migrating to the ugly standard brush! Im trying to break myself of it and youre exactly right... It ends up everything looking like the pile of poo from weird science. I know to stay away from standard... It just seems wrong compared to the forms im trying to achieve. I need standard brush rehab. An intervention is needed

Yes referring to the sculpt, sorry!. I use a mix of clay tubes with round alpha (more subtle than buildup), dam standard, mahcut mech b with square alpha and smooth brush. Pinch when needed, planar when needed and of course move. The standard brush i only use when i want to achieve a certain look...like inflating / rounding something that is already there. Not sure if you are using a tablet but it also helps...fading forms into each other if you will.

ChalklYne likes this
  • 2 weeks later...

No internet for maybe another week. 1600+ frames of animations done for jabba and incorporated into a new animations.cfg. playing ingame just fine but some visable seams I'm playing with. I'll post something soon. I see the request for the gleam eye thing but can't view the video due to lack of decent internet. I'll look into it soon though. Sorry for the wait... But it wouldn't have mattered if I still had internet because this whole time has been spent animating. Which I had to do twice lol. I'll explain later. See u guys soon

No internet for maybe another week. 1600+ frames of animations done for jabba and incorporated into a new animations.cfg. playing ingame just fine but some visable seams I'm playing with. I'll post something soon. I see the request for the gleam eye thing but can't view the video due to lack of decent internet. I'll look into it soon though. Sorry for the wait... But it wouldn't have mattered if I still had internet because this whole time has been spent animating. Which I had to do twice lol. I'll explain later. See u guys soon

Will do man, hope it gets better.

This is the gleam eyes, btw:

0f1pISk.png

Droidy365 likes this

I'm incredibly hyped to see the animated hutt model. 

ZanderNao likes this

Yeah so I cant get internet out where i live besides a little bit intermittently on my phone so im still working on posting progress videos which jabba really deserves. I think posting a few screenies maybe wouldnt do it justice so im just uploading what we might call a beta version today. You guys tgen post videos or screenies if it in areas that beed discussion, which is a lot btw. But its been a long time of no posts so ill just get him out and that will advance the conversation smoothly as to what all he needs. If he were just a jabba doing jabba shit it wouldnt be that hard but i want him fighting and what not. The melee is fucked. The left side tries to mirror the right side which i was unaware of when i started. Should be simple to fix now that i know the mistake lies in the symmetry of the fighting pose. So things like that we will discuss after we get it circulating and people can see from all angles. Textures pretty not jabba but whatevs im not going to stress it retexture him someone who textures more frequently than myself. Ill go figure out this upload now and hope to have him up soon. You guys post pics n stuff my internets hindered

Droidy365 likes this

Pending approval.

I was working without the eye texture... But i slapped one in there quickly so you didnt have to. Id just disregard all texturing and focus on the anims for now. Hes just so clunky. We will discuss it after you see what i mean. It just needs meticulous tampering i guess. This is the second set of anims ive done for him. I plan on keeping it going until i have a set that works nicely. Try it out and lets discuss hitboxes and what anims he needs to qualify as a decent player model

Since we're being honest... I need to re rig his hands... A couple fat bones arent blended enough... I skipped the rigging and capping process for now and went straight into animating. I figured if the anims weren't going to work then the mod was a bust, i slowly touch up rigging as im going... But im basically just focused on the anims at the moment. The shaders, textures, anything cosmetic was basically sped past. Take a look at the extra animations.cfg file which just plays all of his current anims in ModView. What else should we add and which ones are too derpy?

Alright! My first reaction to seeing him in MP.

The model is flawless. Great shape, good proportions, amazing. The animations for the one arm punching seemed fine to me. What stood out was how... shiny he was? He caught the light a lot more than anything in the surrounding environment. There's also a bit of a texture seam around the eyes I think? Sort of an upper eyelid thing appearing white.

One way around unique skeletons operating in MP has been vehicles, sort of like the various animal vehicles with hide-rider enabled. That might be an interesting way to pilot Jabba around, lol

ChalklYne likes this

Since we're being honest... I need to re rig his hands... A couple fat bones arent blended enough... I skipped the rigging and capping process for now and went straight into animating. I figured if the anims weren't going to work then the mod was a bust, i slowly touch up rigging as im going... But im basically just focused on the anims at the moment. The shaders, textures, anything cosmetic was basically sped past. Take a look at the extra animations.cfg file which just plays all of his current anims in ModView. What else should we add and which ones are too derpy?

Thats fine, take as much time as you want, it'll make it that much sweeter when it's finally completed.