Level 9 - Fuel Station Launch

The first WIP screenshots of Level 9. I have the basic brushwork done up to the completion of the first objective, and a little more past that. 

I couldn't figure out a way to add ambient sky light with the GL2 sun shader, so I just had to give the map an "ambient" value of 200. Is there a better way to do this currently?

P.S. I still can't use tags. It says I'm not allowed to. So until that gets figured out, you'll have to keep clicking on the links. 😕

EDIT: Problem solved.

lNynYgU.jpg

lzFO5Pl.jpg

u2MH4Ef.jpg

vI42jt2.jpg

jazvyQV.jpg

e6oPysn.jpg

uuvT9he.jpg

Y7orfvt.jpg

cLH6lNh.jpg

z3filus, Username, Jeff and 3 others like this
  • 2 weeks later...

Lots of areas have been added. Using a royalty-free texture I found online as a placeholder for the fuel. Some pretty serious texture distortion can be seen on some of the patch meshes...there is not always a way to fix this in Radiant. This would be another good reason to use models for the pipe interiors, as AshuraDX has offered to do at some later date.

nVZhtbt.jpg

nIxT54m.jpg

YTSLJV0.jpg

kx0Y8ur.jpg

BvyzpOk.jpg

S8GC1tV.jpg

yvcJxq8.jpg

qwU8eOM.jpg

rMW8RFY.jpg

7FZ6TpK.jpg

2DTyhJt.jpg

ZG5jhEO.jpg

QP0rHLb.jpg

gnBvUev.jpg

6SEq3G0.jpg

V4fiZAe.jpg

rgnbbWi.jpg

About 99% of the textures in this map are from the mod. The fuel is the only one I have needed to find from an outside source, since I couldn't find the DF2 version anywhere in our assets. Despite that, I will still need to go back and do a lot of texture work at the end, since I haven't worried about texture alignment much, and some of the texture choices in the original game just look bad.

DT85 likes this

Well, there might be a few secret areas I need to go back and add, but other than that, I have officially laid out every area in the map! This will be the foundation I will use to go back and add lots of detail everywhere (which may well take longer than laying the foundation).

When I reached the end of the map, I realized/remembered that the player sees the entire length of the Sulon Star before having to jump onto it. Once the player jumps on, the entire ship moves, with the player standing on one of its catwalks. Do we want to make the Sulon Star with modeling? Or should I try to make it with brushes? The shape isn't all that complicated, and we really only need to make one half of it, since the player never sees the other side.

I'm starting the process of adding detail, and finding that the base DF2 assets give me a very limited selection of textures to work with. To make certain architectural features look right, I need textures that aren't there. Can I use some from the base JKA assets as well?

Detail has been added to the first few areas. As I work on each area, I'm trying to imagine what the actual function of that area might be, if the fuel station were real. It helps with deciding what to add, since lots of the areas in the original level were so empty and apparently purposeless.

jRCR4vV.jpg

82hapFX.jpg

IeYa3is.jpg

VIcMtMC.jpg

rYKRsJl.jpg

35e3ys6.jpg

GNeJuoY.jpg

Google "Fuel Refinery" and "Naval Fuel Depot" and look at the image results for more inspiration. Looks great so far.

Google "Fuel Refinery" and "Naval Fuel Depot" and look at the image results for more inspiration. Looks great so far.

Ooh, nice! I had been searching "factory" and "power plant," but these work much better!

EDIT: Okay, to what extent can I spam pipes, the way they do at these fuel refineries? :P I'm asking in terms of tris and FPS. (Example below.)

https://goo.gl/images/7nMxiW

hhunter6 likes this

Ooh, nice! I had been searching "factory" and "power plant," but these work much better!

EDIT: Okay, to what extent can I spam pipes, the way they do at these fuel refineries? :P I'm asking in terms of tris and FPS. (Example below.)

https://goo.gl/images/7nMxiW

Not sure about budget but some could be made as a big element, as if they were all tied together, so you only make the outline round and the "inside" details will be faked with textures.

Archangel35757 and SomaZ like this

Detail has been added to every area up to the completion of the first objective.

How do I extract that orange fuel tank texture from the DF2 assets? I'm talking about the tanks you shoot and blow up. They have a flame icon on them, I think.

EDIT: I figured it out with some help from Inigro. I now have the fuel tank texture.

tfzdMPH.jpg

Ufu0Xc9.jpg

MHGbGNM.jpg

NcGhNbq.jpg

ZldoKMK.jpg