GLM complexity max vertex number

Go to solution Solved by AshuraDX,

Hello. i have a little question.

how many vertexes can contain in his best complexity a model glm of a model character of JKA? i am decimating some HD models on blender 268 for making graphical compatibility to JKA and i need to know that. i know there is a limit aboush meshes of model (every mesh should not have more of 1000 vertexes. better less of 500 for avoid SHADER_MAX_INDEXES hit error or "RUN OUT OF TRANSFORM SPACE GHOUL 2 MODEL adjust mini heap size " when model is using force protect \ absorb or use his lightsaber.  )

yes, i know about this cap. but the cap for total vertex amount of a model... what is?

i remember some years go i did a model that crash ever in game until i had serius decimated fingers vertexes. they are absurdile high for jka engine.

Thats really the golden question isnt it?

I've never gotten an eact answer from it... but... from what I remember you can only have 32 parts per model...

also... the uvmapping process adds a few duplicated vertexes you have to take into account.

If you wanted to avoid all errors (and keep ample space for uv points)... id say keep each part under 475 or so.

475 times 32 pieces = 15,000 or so

the thing is... have you ever really looked at a correctly made model of 15,000 polies? you can do a LOT with that much in jka. entire maps. I think the thing about jka is to get as much bang for your buck as possible... and 15,000 is so much bucks the bang has to be just... breathtaking... to even bother. 

Long story short my opinion is and has always been if you want it in jka then model it for jka. 

The answer to your question however is around 15,000 is my guess. 

Asgarath83 likes this

Thats really the golden question isnt it?

I've never gotten an eact answer from it... but... from what I remember you can only have 32 parts per model...

also... the uvmapping process adds a few duplicated vertexes you have to take into account.

If you wanted to avoid all errors (and keep ample space for uv points)... id say keep each part under 475 or so.

475 times 32 pieces = 15,000 or so

the thing is... have you ever really looked at a correctly made model of 15,000 polies? you can do a LOT with that much in jka. entire maps. I think the thing about jka is to get as much bang for your buck as possible... and 15,000 is so much bucks the bang has to be just... breathtaking... to even bother. 

Long story short my opinion is and has always been if you want it in jka then model it for jka. 

The answer to your question however is around 15,000 is my guess. 

Many  thanks i have in front of me a werewolf model that is crapping me XD a mesh is of 10 000 vertexes and another of 4000... the wolf are done with 2 mesh skins. one HD and one more light... i think i will do wolf only with 4k model.

for what i remember, the more big model of my mod is janos audron rigged by defiance with 5k vertexes. kain and vorador get something like 3k of vertexes.

yes, for JKA 15 are enourm things. i never understand HD and liked it, really. for make a good game geometry is secondary IMHO.

playing on oldest mmorpg on my past, i see that graphic is 90% shadering. a nice shadering can get highly cool and stunning also a low poly game. :)

I'm not completely sure. A coder once mentioned it's 32000 (1000 max vertexes per mesh x 32 max meshes), but if that's true, then it most likely doesn't involve LODs - I think my Spoder stands at 40000 vertexes including LODs.

And as ChalklYne posted, the number of vertexes that triggers the infamous transform space error is about 15000 for multiplayer and OpenJK, and about 6000 for singleplayer.