@@DT85

I got so close with that... but after 30 or so anims I ran into a bump because of I believe an improper conversion table for the extra bones. If I were to rally some assistance in setting up said conversion table I'd like to possibly contribute to this cause.

I say screw the tits and stuff for now and let's just get a complete fbx of the original jka skele fully animated. Then adding tracks for the tits will be a breeze. Could even just use nulls constrained to skeleton "tails" and not have to and animate any of them... the tails will animate with the inertia and you key the nulls that follow. Seems silly we don't have this fbx yet

I think Archangel35757 have the best idea on this. Creating entire gla with cape bones and create new anims would be time consuming and animations would be half of the process. - remwmber you will need to weigh all new models and make capes.

The best thing would be to create the gla file for cape only and later parent (bolt) it to the models tag. It would be hard to make it use anims. Some lightsaber animations would use the same cape animations.

Also this method would work great with other reasons. It would be simply added to other models and also animations and gla file would be there - so it would be possible to create many styles of capes.

I think Archangel35757 have the best idea on this. Creating entire gla with cape bones and create new anims would be time consuming and animations would be half of the process. - remwmber you will need to weigh all new models and make capes.

The best thing would be to create the gla file for cape only and later parent (bolt) it to the models tag. It would be hard to make it use anims. Some lightsaber animations would use the same cape animations.

Also this method would work great with other reasons. It would be simply added to other models and also animations and gla file would be there - so it would be possible to create many styles of capes.

While it's a good idea, it also requires code work to allow bolted on ghoul2 models to animate.

Coding would be just a huge mess for something we can accomplish with base jasp and jamp... which is always the better option in my experience. From what I recall... the only anims that are screwed are the ones they copied over from JO. So... navigational anims basically... walking, strafing, etc. The cinematic stuff and saber stuff should be fine. So... we get the working ones going and then worry about the conversion table for the cloned ones from JO. I'll look into it soon.

Cinematics in jka are mostly done from their own GLA, one per level. The cinematic GLAs and the changed _humanoid GLA will no longer have matching bone count or bone ordering, thus the cinematics will be busted.

@@DT85

I forgot you can import gla's now. Blender right? Well... if that's the case, you can eventually just import, then export as xsi or fbx and i can slap it in softimage and add it to the new one. Also, I figure you'd be a good person to ask...
Weren't we talking about adding back in the toes and fingers from JKO? Then won't the conversion table be unnecessary for importing the "broken" xsi's to our new skele?

Here's how this cloth sim should go IMO

Break it down into steps

-We import all raven xsi source anims to one jka skeleton. The ones that are being problematic will be noted and set aside.

-After all compatible xsi's are imported and separated into clips, the problematic ones will be imported using a conversion table.

-We should then have all _humanoid JKA anims separated into clips. Start organizing the clips to match base animations.cfg (no real reason why besides consistency)

-After we have a fully functioning complete _humanoid FBX sorted to match animations.cfg... we upload that as a base fbx. That way people can add thier own weird bones to base whenever.

-We then add in the tentacles, holsters, tails, hair, backpacks, and everything else people have been requesting and make that a separate updated JKHub base.

-Import the level specific cinematic stuff to blender and export it back into softimage and add to the JKHub base.

-Sit back and watch the sun rise on a grateful universe.

I should just start cracking at this since I got so far last time, and since have totally forgot what I was doing. I need a refresher.
It's not an impossible task for one person, but daunting indeed so maybe we end up splitting the anims among a few capable individuals and get this finally done.

It would be a great way for us veteran modelers to give the community a nice update like the coders have.

This combined with that rend2 Ive been seeing would be beefcake.

Noodle likes this

Fixed the conversion stuff. Should be able to get all anims in Softimage now. So there's that. =)

Sweet. So now all we gotta do is start importing, and separating into sources. Anyone willing to assist? We can just start splitting the anims up and each take a stack if you want

Akkarin likes this

@@DT85

I forgot you can import gla's now. Blender right? Well... if that's the case, you can eventually just import, then export as xsi or fbx and i can slap it in softimage and add it to the new one. Also, I figure you'd be a good person to ask...

Weren't we talking about adding back in the toes and fingers from JKO? Then won't the conversion table be unnecessary for importing the "broken" xsi's to our new skele?

Nah, Noesis and export to FBX - Blender can't handle the shitload of frames in the GLA. :P

ll fingers and the two toe bones are already present in every animation, it's just that they were omitted during compile.

You'll need a conversion table (so a modified openjk) so any base JKA rigged models will work with the new GLA, it's just that they won't have access to any clothsim, etc unless re-rigged.

ChalklYne and Akkarin like this
  • 4 weeks later...

Any updates on the topic?

My only update is frustration. The few anims that dont seem to import correctly were ones carried over from JKO... and it is a very small amount, but very necessary anims. The conclusion I have come to is that the spine_root and spine_eff were omitted on compile... but necessary for importing the anims and re-exporting them. I keep trying to add my own spine_root and spine_eff but the orientation seems screwy and it just gets worse the more I tamper with it. The entire issue could be avoided if we just reanimate those few anims ourselves and move on. Anything you want to have the cloth physics would need to be rerigged to the new skeleton. Its a pretty straight forward problem with a simple solution, but every time i open up the file... i keep trying to fix the imports rather than just move on and animate them later. 

i could compile all the working anims in a night or so... but...

it is embarrasingly simple... yet fatally tedious.

@@ChalklYne - do we have those JKO animations in the released animation files? If so, you could send me the list and I could try in 3dsMax to import the XSI and re-export it for you as an XSI file that Softimage can open.

We do, and I have tried to do exactly that before, but I'd much rather you give it a go before we call it impossible. Try strafe_left. Thats a good place to start. It's just certain navigational anims.

Ill compile a list this evening, freetime granted.

I just got through 6000 frames and hit this snag so far...

BOTH_CHOKE2... his left leg looks to be sticking out his crotch area lol... not sure there... take a look at that one as well as the strafe_left i mentioned earlier.

I also had an issue with BOTH_A7_SABERPROTECT but i fixed it easily

6231 frames good to go so far.. im going to go live for a while and maybe come back to it tonight and see what else i get. 

So as an update... id say some 6000 frames seem to be working perfectly and i have them all compiled as animation sources in a fbx file... not in the correct order though yet.

To update... so far the problem anims are

-BOTH_CHOKE2
-BOTH_DEADFLOP1
-BOTH_DEADFLOP2
-BOTH_DEATH1
-BOTH_DEATH14_SITUP
-BOTH_DEATHFORWARD3
-all dismemberment ones (but all of the anims that are only 1 frame are being like that tbh... most of them are just parts of other anims besides the face stuff and the dismember stuff)
-all face_'s
BOTH_GUNSIT1
BOTH_HANGPAIN1
BOTH_KNEES1
BOTH_KNEES2
BOTH_KNEES2TO1
-all inair's
-all force_inair's

I'm expecting the troubled anim count to maybe double that by the end. Not too bad I guess

I would put my entire gla progress at around 30% as im going alphabetically and am ending tonight almost done with the F's. 6231 frames/ 21376.

The ones that are being problems, i have an idea of how to fix those later. basically tracing the xsi's animations. The xsi files work for everything, but when you export them into fbx's and reimport as action sources these problem ones break. 

They all seem to break at the fact that they cant connect to something like "spine_root, spine_eff, arm_root, leg_root" etc, so the actual skeletal root nulls from when they first created the skeleton. If I dont find a solution, ill end up just importing the xsi files as "shadows" and basically just trace them frame for frame and create action sources from those.

Make sense? 

Also...

-BOTH_FORCEGRIP3

-BOTH_FORCEGRIP3THROW

Those are working, but are trying to connect to a null called ZOMBIE so I don't think they'll work right once compiled without that missing null, which is obviously a motion null or something from an opponent

We shall see... I'll look into those later and reference the actual XSI animation for it

Droidy365 and Akkarin like this

I imported both_death1. It's simple really, just delete the eff's & roots (and any non-animated duplicates. This is a thing in 3ds Max, not sure about mod tool) and re-link (eg. rfemurYZ to pelvis). Every bone/null has the animation baked, so a re-link will work fine.