JA skins into JO SP

Go to solution Solved by RobiWanKen0bi,

Hello everyone! I'm new here, as a registered member, but not so new as a visitor.

So anyway I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the right category, but I've searched, googled all over the place and couldn't find a solution.

I've recently imported JO into JA with this: https://jkhub.org/files/file/1860-jedi-academy-outcast/

And thought I could update the old skins with the ones found here:

Kyle

Luke

Lando

So the Luke, Kyle, Lando etc skins look fine when playing, but in cutscenes they're all messed up, cuz of the new model.glm animations not compatible with the old JO game, as far as I can tell.

I've tried to find a solution for this, like an animation, glm converter, but with no luck.

Can I still somehow use the new skins in SP JO game mod for JA?

Btw look at what I mean :D

EDIT/SOLUTION

So first you need to download Blender (it worked with ver.2.79b) and a plugin Blender 2.64+ - Jedi Academy Plugin Suite v0.2.2 (BlenderJAPluginSuite0.2.2.zip)

Download Blender (simply Google it) and the plugin is in the Downloads section in JKHUB.

USE this tutorial

Follow everything in the tutorial except for one thing. Don't use the JEDI OUTCAST GLA file. Instead use the GLA file (You need to extract it from the jaooutcastv1.00a.pk3) from "Jedi Academy - Outcast v1.00a".

When you extract it, it should be located in "\models\players\JK2anims\" in your JA BASE folder.

During the tutorial, when asked for the GLA file, you need to choose the "JK2anims.gla" which is now located in "\models\players\JK2anims\"

Copy this code, when asked:

skeleton = bpy.data.objects["skeleton_root"]
for object in bpy.data.objects:
if 'skin' in object.modifiers:
object.modifiers["skin"].object = skeleton
Edited by RobiWanKen0bi

Hello everyone! I'm new here, as a registered member, but not so new as a visitor.

So anyway I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the right category, but I've searched, googled all over the place and couldn't find a solution.

I've recently imported JO into JA with this: https://jkhub.org/files/file/1860-jedi-academy-outcast/

Kyle

Luke

Lando

So the Luke, Kyle, Lando etc skins look fine when playing, but in cutscenes they're all messed up, cuz of the new model.glm animations not compatible with the old JO game, as far as I can tell.

I've tried to find a solution for this, like an animation, glm converter, but with no luck.

Ahhhhhhhh, I had the same problem with my custom build of JKO/JKA. See, the strange thing is those animations in particular are the ones from the Swoop Bikes and for some strange reason, Alora's moves when she's using dual sabers, which the original JKO skeletons recognize as the JKO animations due to the skeletal structure and animations having differences. You're gonna have to modify the scripts to use the JKA animations outside of the swoop animations specifically. It's not perfect, but it works.

I'm not sure how could I modify that and assign new animations? I'm guessing the txt and .ibi file types located in scripts\cinematics\ need to be modified.

So did you fix it in your custom build of JKO/JKA?

For the most part, yes. I even got the Galak scene working and you can even fight him. Though personally, I turn him into Hux with a double bladed lightsaber.

I'm guessing I couldn't use your files or something? I have to manually fix this myself?

Btw how could I know which animation to use in the cutscenes? Isn't there a simpler solution like fixing a model.glm?

I would upload it, but unfortunately I don't know if I'm able to due to how files are handled here. We shall see. And no, unless you want to spend HOURS using Blender to essentially put the Outcast skeleton on every single JKA model (which BTW, yeah that's possible), I wouldn't recommend that. Unless you have WAYYYY too much time on your hands.

RobiWanKen0bi likes this

I think I only need to modify as much as "skeletons", or model.glm files with animations, as I intend to use new models in cutscenes. In this case only Luke, Kyle and Lando.

If you figure out how to upload and provide your files here I'll give em a try, but how about a JA to JO skin or model.glm converter? Is there any chance such a thing exists?

They are experts on that matter. But to answer your question, no. There is no converter. You will have to do it all MANUALLY in Blender software.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srfpb2042lE

Hmmm.

Could probably be scripted for batch processing of models, but I don't know enough Python or care enough about blender to do that.

I may end up doing that for 3ds max though...probably...in relatively far future.

I wish I had more freetime.

RobiWanKen0bi and Teancum like this

Thanks, TheWhitePhoenix! I'll try it out this weekend and get back to you. :)

Well, with that, you should be able to still play with the JKA engine, just that some of the animations for the model will be different. Just be sure to not try using any vehicles with those models with the JKO skeleton. So, you're welcome. :)

Kyle

Luke

Lando

Why not just take the JO model.glm and replace the model.glm provided by the JA models? :huh:

Also, that video's funny, it's like Kyle and Luke are doing a battle in interpretative dance :D

Reminded me of this:

(sorry about the quality, couldn't find a better video  <_< )

RobiWanKen0bi likes this

@the_raven The textures are just images. The model.glm (as far as I know) contains the data of how those textures are laid out on the model, the shape of the model itself and the information on the skeleton used for animation (all the stuff you'd find from looking at the model.glm in ModView, basically).

Replacing the .glm basically means he's not using the model he'd like to. Even if DT's Kyle textures perfectly aligned with the JO Kyle's, the shape of the model is different, so it'd be all for naught. DT Kyle's skeleton is designed for JAs animation, not JOs. This requires a tinker with the skeleton itself in Blender, which is what WhitePhoenix was suggesting earlier on. :)

TheWhitePhoenix likes this

Magsul is right.

The original, old Kyle works quite well in the cinematics, and the new Kyle works in the game, but I want the new Kyle in both cinematics and during gameplay. The shape of model.glm of the new Kyle doesn't match the old one, cuz it's a different model.

I'm trying to figure out Blender. I need a bit time to learn it myself.

Also on a quick note: I've even tried to put the .gla file from the HUMANOID folder into kyle's folder, with the .glm file altogether, but it didn't fix anything. I suppouse all of you have a Yoda character in your base folder, right?

So how does Yoda has his own animation, or "humanoid_yoda.gla", rather than "_humanoid.gla"?

OK, I've done it! Thanks everyone for the support! :D

Using the Blender tutorial, I've managed to replace the skeleton, or rather the GLA file from JA model.glm, with the JO version. Since I'm using the JO import into JA, I had to use the JK2anims.gla and not the JO original GLA files.

It's rather easy now to add your skins to the JO cinematics. I've already added a newer version of Kyle, Luke and Lando.

Here's the code, so you can copy/paste:

skeleton = bpy.data.objects["skeleton_root"]
for object in bpy.data.objects:
if 'skin' in object.modifiers:
object.modifiers["skin"].object = skeleton

Here's the result:

And here's a rather odd bonus video which I've made. It surprised me in the end and hopefully you'll laugh too. It's a happy ending, if you know what I mean... :shifty:

Sithani and Tompa9 like this
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...