The Jedi and authority

Note: couldn't think of a better topic name >.<

Anyway, I'm rewarching the prequels right now and some issues concerning the law rise with me. For one, the Jedi keep making decisions that somehow outrank the official police forces on different planets (mostly Republic planets, but not necessarily), and sometimes, even of the planetary, or local rulers. For another, namely in AotC we see how Anakin highjacks an airspeder, how they crash the assassin's speeder in the middle of a street, how they even cut the assassin's hand in the club, but after Anakin says 'we are Jedi', everyone calms down; heck, the assassin dies during interrogation, but they just go about their business, no police investigations or anything!
Throughout the films we see how Yoda and Windu are unsatisfied with how the Senate Palpatine keeps meddling in their affairs and arguing with their decisions - this can be understood for the internal Jedi affairs, but not in general - and at that point they didn't yet know he was a Sith Lord, just that he was (supposedly?) difficult to read.
The Jedi have enough authority to perform arrests, to interrogate, to hold in captivity, and to carry a highly dangerous weapon, but none of this is something a religious figure should have, right? (unles you're a catholic in medieval Europe) Still, unlike the inquisitions, they don't performs acts of mass terror (thanks for that at least). There are many other examples in the EU, at least in the old one, where the Jedi outrank the political and legal authorities.
I just can't understand how and why a monastic religious organization in a liberal democracy gets to have so much legal and even political authority, because they're clearly above your average 'citizen's arrest' and 'lobby group' kind of crowd.

Droidy365 likes this

At the time which you are describing, the Jedi Order was fairly institutionalized into the Galactic Senate as almost... their personal stewards (or army, in some instances, before the clones). They answered to the Supreme Chancellor so were likely given a wide berth in carrying out their activities by local law enforcement. I think they were even written into the Republic Charter as a division of the Department of Justice. So imagine, for example, what would you do if you were a street cop and you got called to a disturbance and it was revealed that the Secret Service was there doing some arrest or operation?

For another, namely in AotC we see how Anakin highjacks an airspeder, how they crash the assassin's speeder in the middle of a street, how they even cut the assassin's hand in the club, but after Anakin says 'we are Jedi', everyone calms down; heck, the assassin dies during interrogation, but they just go about their business, no police investigations or anything!

In the scene you're describing, though, I believe those airspeeders belonged to Padme's protection detail. They were parked right outside her apartment, sported the yellow Naboo-ish type theme, and Anakin started it right up without having to 'hotwire' it or whatever. And then, it looks like their pursuit didn't exactly terminate in an amazing part of town. I highly doubt the average beat cop was in a hurry to respond to a speeder crash with no injuries in the ghetto. They probably got there an hour later, impounded the stolen speeder, and contacted the registered owner. (I mean, cmon, surely Zam didn't use her own speeder to carry out a hit.)

Everything they did was justified. Hot pursuit of an attempted murder suspect (on a government official no less!), terminating the pursuit by forcing Zam to land, and then sabering her arm off when she pointed a gun at them (that authorizes deadly force.). The only really questionable thing that happens is yes, Zam technically dies in their custody, so they’ve got some ‘splaining to do. But Jedi probably deliver their evidence and reports directly to the Senate and Courts. And they had evidence enough to clear them of any wrongdoing in Zam’s untimely demise.

This minutia just isn't interesting enough to portray on the big screen obviously lol. I did laugh when Finn got tasered for Illegal Parking in episode 8 though... that seemed a bit harsh.

Overall, I guess you could ask how the Order got to be in such an institutionalized position. Their power and wisdom would be invaluable to the state government. And, before the negative shift of opinion brought about by Palpatine and the Clone Wars, the Order was widely held in high regard by the honest citizen and those that held religious beliefs about the Force, but weren't necessarily Force Sensitive.

In the EU there are times the government and the Jedi Order butt heads when it comes to the law. The biggest instance that comes to mind is when Natasi Daala is elected Chief of State of the Galactic Alliance, she challenges the Order's lawful authority and involvement in government.

But, in the time period you mention, whether you hold them in high regard or ambivalence, you can't ignore that they are backed up by the Galactic Government so you just kinda got to let them do what they do best; Slice people's arms off and then tell you to get back to your drink.

Finally, if you don’t like something they did, you can always call Bob Goldstein,

https://youtu.be/oXkxrb7fj3Q

At the time which you are describing, the Jedi Order was fairly institutionalized into the Galactic Senate as almost... their personal stewards (or army, in some instances, before the clones). They answered to the Supreme Chancellor so were likely given a wide berth in carrying out their activities by local law enforcement. I think they were even written into the Republic Charter as a division of the Department of Justice. So imagine, for example, what would you do if you were a street cop and you got called to a disturbance and it was revealed that the Secret Service was there doing some arrest or operation?

In the scene you're describing, though, I believe those airspeeders belonged to Padme's protection detail. They were parked right outside her apartment, sported the yellow Naboo-ish type theme, and Anakin started it right up without having to 'hotwire' it or whatever. And then, it looks like their pursuit didn't exactly terminate in an amazing part of town. I highly doubt the average beat cop was in a hurry to respond to a speeder crash with no injuries in the ghetto. They probably got there an hour later, impounded the stolen speeder, and contacted the registered owner. (I mean, cmon, surely Zam didn't use her own speeder to carry out a hit.)

Everything they did was justified. Hot pursuit of an attempted murder suspect (on a government official no less!), terminating the pursuit by forcing Zam to land, and then sabering her arm off when she pointed a gun at them (that authorizes deadly force.). The only really questionable thing that happens is yes, Zam technically dies in their custody, so they’ve got some ‘splaining to do. But Jedi probably deliver their evidence and reports directly to the Senate and Courts. And they had evidence enough to clear them of any wrongdoing in Zam’s untimely demise.

This minutia just isn't interesting enough to portray on the big screen obviously lol. I did laugh when Finn got tasered for Illegal Parking in episode 8 though... that seemed a bit harsh.

Overall, I guess you could ask how the Order got to be in such an institutionalized position. Their power and wisdom would be invaluable to the state government. And, before the negative shift of opinion brought about by Palpatine and the Clone Wars, the Order was widely held in high regard by the honest citizen and those that held religious beliefs about the Force, but weren't necessarily Force Sensitive.

In the EU there are times the government and the Jedi Order butt heads when it comes to the law. The biggest instance that comes to mind is when Natasi Daala is elected Chief of State of the Galactic Alliance, she challenges the Order's lawful authority and involvement in government.

But, in the time period you mention, whether you hold them in high regard or ambivalence, you can't ignore that they are backed up by the Galactic Government so you just kinda got to let them do what they do best; Slice people's arms off and then tell you to get back to your drink.

Finally, if you don’t like something they did, you can always call Bob Goldstein,

Fair points, I suppose, though I never heard it anywhere that the Jedi were an institutionalized govt. organization. Eh, the more you learn. :rolleyes:

'At last, we will have our revenge!' - that was goldstein! :D

RebelChum likes this

I never heard it anywhere that the Jedi were an institutionalized govt. organization.

After the end of the war with Lord Khan and his Sith Army of Darkness, the Republic enacted something called the Ruusan Reformation. One of the major provisions of this act mandated the Jedi give up their military rank and integrated them into the Judicial Department, making them law enforcers.

the_raven likes this

After the end of the war with Lord Khan and his Sith Army of Darkness, the Republic enacted something called the Ruusan Reformation. One of the major provisions of this act mandated the Jedi give up their military rank and integrated them into the Judicial Department, making them law enforcers.

oh damn, forgot about that :D