Dagobah (WIP)

S3PJUSz.jpgWell... heres the start. Thought I would at least start a WIP. I started doing a patchwork of trees which worked out quite well. I also started Yodas home as well with patchwork which is a ton harder than doing it in Blender. So I'll do my best in Blender as I'm still learning it and then UV and bake as an ASE or MD3 for Yodas pad. The reason is simple, it will look much better than crazy, unmatched vertex patches from Radiant. I wish Radiant wasn't so limited, oh well. Screen of radiant today... stand by....

Lancelot, z3filus, Jeff and 7 others like this

@@ZanderNao I agree, but I have to correct you on one thing:

You've already made it further than anyone on Dagobah, keep up the good work!

There was a guy back on Filefront Forum, before it became Gamefront - he had build Yodas Hut and some of the surrounding area in radiant.

I was supposed to help him with a few mushroom models and other random clutter before he disappeared.

It was quite a shame.

Langerd likes this

@@ZanderNao I agree, but I have to correct you on one thing:

There was a guy back on Filefront Forum, before it became Gamefront - he had build Yodas Hut and some of the surrounding area in radiant.

I was supposed to help him with a few mushroom models and other random clutter before he disappeared.

It was quite a shame.

Ahhh, I suppose that's true. I've seen so many people disappear while in the midst of great mods. I think the two hardest for me to take were Sith J Cull during Kamino version 2, and Chalkyne with his TFU Tie Facility and all the associated mods.

It was quite a shame.

Yes I also started Endor before Monsoontide, just never released anything. Some of my forest textures are very old. Forest, ground and foliage are very disorganized. It's messy and full of planes. I actually have mushrooms ported from quake and re-textured. Yes... I know it's ported but way back then ( 2003 ) all I knew was Radiant.

Not sure yet. Probably as big as my Endor level, which is on my PC but not released.

I'm afraid that I'm not familiar with that one, then! I have no point of reference. I guess a better way to put it would be, is it duel sized or FFA sized? :)

ooeJack and Jeff like this

If you need it can convert SWBF2 (2005) Dagobah props to .obj. I.tried some time ago do that for GPChannel but I had not experience on blender In that time.Now I can convert it to .obj and textured without problems, but I don't know how to convert it to MD3.

The weird thing is that... i kinda looked how Jedi academy works and i found out that models with high poly count are not making lag issues if used correctly. Mostly this happens with big amount of entities or with high poly model that are moving. Even very detail MD3 models that are just static are not that much laggy. I dont make very high poly models but i dont pay attention on lowering the poly count on them that much. This problem is starting to get out of hand when map is very open area and there are very low chances to optimalize it - my Hallowean map for example or jabba sail barge for MB2 for example

The weird thing is that... i kinda looked how Jedi academy works and i found out that models with high poly count are not making lag issues if used correctly. Mostly this happens with big amount of entities or with high poly model that are moving. Even very detail MD3 models that are just static are not that much laggy. I dont make very high poly models but i dont pay attention on lowering the poly count on them that much. This problem is starting to get out of hand when map is very open area and there are very low chances to optimalize it - my Hallowean map for example or jabba sail barge for MB2 for example

This is very true @@Langerd. If you look at the previous Endor screenshots, you can see that map is loaded with MD3s, yet the framerate is high and stable. The background is actually a sky_portal below the map loaded with trees. Then the foreground has even more trees.

In my previous post, file size started at almost 6mb!! It's now down to 2.1mb. Most MD3s are below 200kb.

• 1 month later...

This still looms over my head. I would have a playable map if it were not for the Blender export battle I was having. 

I'm on a bit of a break because well... RL hit me hard and I now have to look after my youngest child full time. So, I'll be back from time to time to update.

Daedra and Jeff like this

This still looms over my head. I would have a playable map if it were not for the Blender export battle I was having. 

I'm on a bit of a break because well... RL hit me hard and I now have to look after my youngest child full time. So, I'll be back from time to time to update.

It's amazing how far programs have come, and yet how there can be such limitations between them. Thank you for the progress, and real life is very understandable. Do what you have to do. We'll be patient.

TheWhitePhoenix likes this
  • 3 months later...

Hi there. Sorry for the delay but I'm super busy with another child to take care of. Although, I am trying to teach younger children the magic of modding.

So, uhhh... yea, due to another HD crash (WINDOWS 10 SURPRISE! I'mgoingtodeleteawholebunchoffilesthatIfeelyoudon'tneed!!) I have lost every scrap of this model and map I was working on. THANK YOU MICROSOFT! So, my laptop HD was severely damaged with 30,000 bad sectors!! I told the repair guy to just throw it away and put a new Samsung SSD in. My PC was recoverable but I lost a lot of recent files from JA and other programs. All the old programs I had like PSP, PHOTOSHOP and others are gone. It was nice having those programs for free but MS decided I didn't need them or my highly labored files! My PC is working again. Laptop is working great and I've started to put things back the way they were for the last 5 years. Soooo... luckily for me, I still had my back up on the portable HD. I thought I had backed up the entire contents of everything on both computers, not so. I soon realized that I backed up only the essentials, like, anything JK related..LOL! Next was pictures, important legal documents, music and some notes. What you are looking at here is the only record I have of Yodas home. The last back up of data I did was in May of 2018, before I started this thread. In the near future I'm going to buy 2 more SSDs and have them as the new back up. The days of storing things on a spinning disc are over.

I will start on this again in the Winter when I have more time.

Tompa9 likes this

This is very true @@Langerd. If you look at the previous Endor screenshots, you can see that map is loaded with MD3s, yet the framerate is high and stable. The background is actually a sky_portal below the map loaded with trees. Then the foreground has even more trees.

In my previous post, file size started at almost 6mb!! It's now down to 2.1mb. Most MD3s are below 200kb.

Yep, @@Langerd is right. i ported as 3ds a big area of sarafan stronghold of soul reaver 2 game a years ago i not get any problem of FPS drops. and 3ds contain a mesh with 20k vertices!!! (no splitted!!! and i am not using warzone or other HD coded stuffs! )

RAILBACK likes this
  • 2 weeks later...