A couple of new smilies/ emoticons, please?

I'm not saying these are bad, I'm just saying we could use some additions, is all.

Also, do were really need these - :obiwan::anakin::padme::ahsoka::chewie::han::leia::luke: ? Not only does nobody ever use them, they're kinda meh anyway.

I know it's unlikely that this request gets fulfilled, but if it will, I implore you: NO EMOJI'S!

I'm just sick of seeing these everywhere :angry: You know? These ones -

moj.jpg

Note: If you're wondering what makes me so special to be against emoji's, well, it's my request, so...

Smoo likes this

Emojis will be supported in JKH 2.0. I don't think it would be worth implementing more than what Unicode emojis will already have built-in to every modern OS.

Ugh! Just what is it that makes emojis so popular anyway? <_<

I understand modern OS and stuff, but why these particular ones? They're so ugly! :(

Ugh! Just what is it that makes emojis so popular anyway? <_>

I understand modern OS and stuff, but why these particular ones? They're so ugly! :(

They look different on each OS. The image you showed are how they look on Apple devices. Windows and Android have different looking ones, as does Discord.

Still doesn't explain their popularity, but thanks for the reply

Well they came about in Japan originally back in the 90's. But the reason they became popular was when Apple had them as an additional keyboard built into iOS back in like...2009 I think? It wasn't a default function, but you could easily add it as an additional "language" keyboard layout. Over the years iPhone became more and more popular, the emoji keyboard kinda went viral and everyone that had an iPhone wanted those emojis to use in texting to other iPhone users. Eventually other smartphone OS makers also built it into their OSes so you could see the emojis no matter what phone you used. Now desktop OSes have them as well.

So basically it's a universal solution to the smileys/emoticons that people used on forums and such from back in the day (like here on our ancient forum software).

Well they came about in Japan originally back in the 90's. But the reason they became popular was when Apple had them as an additional keyboard built into iOS back in like...2009 I think? It wasn't a default function, but you could easily add it as an additional "language" keyboard layout. Over the years iPhone became more and more popular, the emoji keyboard kinda went viral and everyone that had an iPhone wanted those emojis to use in texting to other iPhone users. Eventually other smartphone OS makers also built it into their OSes so you could see the emojis no matter what phone you used. Now desktop OSes have them as well.

So basically it's a universal solution to the smileys/emoticons that people used on forums and such from back in the day (like here on our ancient forum software).

So, theoretically, they should be available on ipad1 too?

Still, I like the old smilies better. Oh well.

So, theoretically, they should be available on ipad1 too?

Still, I like the old smilies better. Oh well.

They should, yeah. Assuming it's running a pre-iOS 7 version of iOS, you'd have to go into the settings and enable the additional keyboard layout.

They should, yeah. Assuming it's running a pre-iOS 7 version of iOS, you'd have to go into the settings and enable the additional keyboard layout.

It's ipad1, they don't go beyond ios 5.1.1.

Edit: Just checked, it's there. Even though I don't like emoji, it's still nice to know. Thanks for telling me.

• 2 weeks later...

Still doesn't explain their popularity, but thanks for the reply

They're popular because every device can support them.

Before the Unicode Consortium decided on having emojis, forums were kind of left to having a hodgepodge of different smilies that weren't guaranteed to all look the same on a system. Now you can, as long as the device you're using supports it.