Rules on Copyrighted Music and Ported Sounds?

Hey guys, I was just wondering what the rules on copyrighted music and sounds ported from other media were with modding. I've seen plenty of mods containing ported sounds, and plenty containing copyrighted music - hell, I've made plenty of them too.

Thanks guys :)

Smoo likes this

Ah, double standards then? :P

Personally, I don't mind anyway. I think a better argument in favor of using copyrighted music/ sound would be that it's a lot more difficult to record/ write original music/ sounds to use with one's mods. So obviously, either using copyrighted third-party sounds/ music or using the vanilla ones are the only options.

Droidy365 likes this
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Either way, with music and audio the law is far more complicated.

In case of 3D works, software, the rules are very strict. With sound files, you can get a lot of workarounds in terms of their legality. Mostly coming from the times of recorders everywhere and no internet around, with laws from these times still being active.

Wasa and Droidy365 like this
  • 3 weeks later...

Either way, with music and audio the law is far more complicated.

In case of 3D works, software, the rules are very strict. With sound files, you can get a lot of workarounds in terms of their legality. Mostly coming from the times of recorders everywhere and no internet around, with laws from these times still being active.

These "workarounds" only apply (if even) for personal use, not for redistribution. Technically every single mod on JKHub that uses third party sounds or music is illegal.

MrDJSilva likes this