Small problem with Frankensteining

Go to solution Solved by Kualan,

Hello there,

I'm not very active on this forum, but I've been following it for a long time, and from time to time I do some skinning and frankensteining of my own, but just for personal use. I am not that talented.

I wanted to make a character from my fan fiction, and as a base I decided to take the Jedi torso, the human_merc head(s), the weequay armour, and the snowtroopers legs. I managed to get everything working (see pic 1), but one thing eludes me.

Pic 1: Model in Modview (before separation of the kneecaps):

https://ibb.co/kvd9cc

The hips_armor surface on the snowtrooper legs contains knee caps, as well as 'crotch cap' and several bags around the waist. Since I'm actually mainly interested in the knee caps, I wondered if I could separate them from the rest. So I took them apart in blender by selecting only the knee caps (in edit mode), pressing P and then 'Selection'. It is now its own surface in blender, and I named it 'hips_knee'. Unfortunately, when exporting it to GLM, Modview gives the old 'this model needs rebuilding' error.

Since this is where the frankenstein tutorials end, I was wondering if anyone could tell me how to treat a new surface like hips_knee for it to work in Modview.

Pic 2: Model in Blender (after separation of the kneecaps):

https://ibb.co/na8pAx

Any help would be appreciated!  :)

Hello there,

I'm not very active on this forum, but I've been following it for a long time, and from time to time I do some skinning and frankensteining of my own, but just for personal use. I am not that talented.

I wanted to make a character from my fan fiction, and as a base I decided to take the Jedi torso, the human_merc head(s), the weequay armour, and the snowtroopers legs. I managed to get everything working (see pic 1), but one thing eludes me.

Pic 1: Model in Modview (before separation of the kneecaps):

https://ibb.co/kvd9cc

The hips_armor surface on the snowtrooper legs contains knee caps, as well as 'crotch cap' and several bags around the waist. Since I'm actually mainly interested in the knee caps, I wondered if I could separate them from the rest. So I took them apart in blender by selecting only the knee caps (in edit mode), pressing P and then 'Selection'. It is now its own surface in blender, and I named it 'hips_knee'. Unfortunately, when exporting it to GLM, Modview gives the old 'this model needs rebuilding' error.

Since this is where the frankenstein tutorials end, I was wondering if anyone could tell me how to treat a new surface like hips_knee for it to work in Modview.

Pic 2: Model in Blender (after separation of the kneecaps):

https://ibb.co/na8pAx

Any help would be appreciated!  :)

you have to link it back into the hierarchy, parent it to the legs.

Yep, as Ashura says it needs to be inserted into the hierarchy. Under the Object tab, there should be a 'parent' box. If you click on the head, for example, this will say it is parented to the torso. In a newly separated mesh this will be blank.

EDIT: Upon seeing Pic 2, it just occurred to me to make sure you have renamed the new surface correctly in the .GLM exporter settings (scroll down on the Object tab currently open in Pic 2). Also check that you have renamed it correctly in the Object Data (not the same as the Object tab in Pic 2) tab.

One note - when "slicing and dicing" away parts of a model this can lead to further issues during export but we'll see what happens when you try to export it with the correct hierarchy first.

Thanks for your replies! :)

I have already linked it back to the hips, as you can see in the second screenshot. It is parented to hips_0, and, I double checked, this is the correct name for the parent.

The error remains (89 surfaces, but 90 of them are connected).

I have already linked it back to the hips, as you can see in the second screenshot. It is parented to hips_0, and, I double checked, this is the correct name for the parent.

Sometimes the error surfaces for me are fixed when I just export it as a GLM again from Blender, but it could also be something else too.

Go through your hierarchy and look for anything with "_0.001" at the end, that would be the problem. It's either not linked to the hierarchy or a duplicate.

The Punisher likes this
  • Solution

Did you also confirm there are no duplicated names in either the Object, Object Data or Ghoul 2 boxes? The last one catches out a lot of people.