Sign in to follow this  
Caelum

Happy Chinese New Year

Posted Image

Today is Chinese New Year. Most of the JKA community lives in different countries, and may not even have noticed: we don't normally even announce it. For those in China, happy Chinese New Year/Spring Festival. For everyone else: is our excuse for a modding contest believable enough?

Asia themed modding contest
We haven't had any modding contest since Halloween, and front page news has been a bit absent. We've been extremely busy behind the scenes preparing for the biggest backend software upgrade JKHub has ever seen, which has been a lot of work, but isn't very visible if you're not staff. Since we missed the chance to have a Christmas themed contest, and we don't really want to have the same contest themes every single year, we ended up with an Asia themed modding contest. Not just China themed - we didn't want a modding contest revolving around any one country - but Asia themed. The whole continent. The vast majority of the JKA community is in Europe and North America, so we thought it might be a cool way to meet some other cultures.

Rules:
  • All submissions must be Asia-themed (CTF on the Chinese Wall? Ninjas vs Samurai? Duel in the Taj Mahal? Terracotta soldier skins?)
  • You can only enter your own creations.
  • You may enter more than one file.
  • Already existing files cannot be submitted. The goal is to encourage new creations!
  • Any content is welcome, including skins, models, maps, weapons, menu mods, etc. Just make sure it abides by the rules.
  • Files can be for Jedi Academy and/or Jedi Outcast. We will assume files are for JKA unless specified otherwise.
  • Keep it tasteful and don't be a massive racist spoilsport.
  • The deadline for submitting content is March 11, 2018.
  • The poll will be closed by March 18, 2018.
How do I submit my mod?
Our goal is to make it as simple as possible for everyone involved. The way you submit your file for this contest is to upload them as normal files in our file section, but using a new category called Contest Entries.

So go to this link, and submit your mod as you normally would. The category should be set to Chinese New Year 2018 already. If you don't enter it there, your file won't be entered until you do. If you realize that you didn't do that, PM a staff member and we can change it for you.

How do I vote?
On the 11th, we will post a poll that all members can vote in. It will be featured in the Latest Poll area on the front page, as well as the usual forum for polls.

All entries will be listed here as they come rolling in.

Some administrative notes
Like I mentioned earlier, we've been hard at work on backend software modernization. I previously planned for the new software to roll out in January, but we've had to push it back slightly because we encountered a major issue. We're currently looking at contracting a third-party developer to resolve the issue, but as I'll be away for several weeks soon, it may take a bit longer. Without mentioning a specific date, I'll just say our new backend software is coming Very Soon Now - not the coming weeks, but not months and months away.

On another note: at the moment, only myself, Circa, and AshuraDX are JKHub staff. Our workload is becoming a bit overwhelming for the three of us, so we'll be opening staff position applications in an estimated 1-2 months time. We strongly prefer applicants who have been around JKHub for a while as regular users, so if you're interested, now is a good time to start becoming active on our forum if you weren't already.

Click here to view the article
MagSul, Morabis and Smoo like this

Well now, this is really interesting!
Would like to see what the community comes up with, also, nice suggestions with the Chinese wall and Taj Mahal, though I'm afraid we'll just end up with ninjas and anime stuff.

By the way, what does being a "racist spoilsport" include? Would the previously uploaded imposibru reborn be considered as such? What's confusing is that people actually described The last samurai as racist, even though it was supposed to actually praise Japanese samurai culture.

Also, does the contest include only east and south Asia, or the middle east and central Asia too? Would Russia-related content be considered relevant since Russia stretches into Asia? What about Turkey, since it's Asia minor?

Also, there's talk of bringing Johnny Gat into Jka. Would he count as relevant, since he's of Asian descent?

Also, does the contest include only east and south Asia, or the middle east and central Asia too? Would Russia-related content be considered relevant since Russia stretches into Asia? What about Turkey, since it's Asia minor?

Hmff.. skimmed that part. Asia-themed. I'm just going with what I have already. I have an old bamboo plant.md3, that I MAY install somewhere.

Smoo likes this

Well now, this is really interesting!

By the way, what does being a "racist spoilsport" include? Would the previously uploaded imposibru reborn be considered as such? What's confusing is that people actually described The last samurai as racist, even though it was supposed to actually praise Japanese samurai culture.

Honestly, it's mostly just a judgement call on the staff's part, but I'm really just talking about actual malicious intent here. I'm not worried about things like Last Samurai or that reborn mod, it's more about people submitting Asianified Hitler under the title of "kill all Asians" to be le epic contest troll.

While I was imagining most entries to be south/east Asia when I created this contest, and was not so much thinking of countries like Russia, any country on this map is a valid contest submission

Also, there's talk of bringing Johnny Gat into Jka. Would he count as relevant, since he's of Asian descent?

I think that's kind of a stretch, and sort of a weak entry as far as following the Asia theme goes, but wouldn't reject it.
the_raven likes this