B1 Battle droid Revamp

This model won't deform very well, rigged against the standard player _humanoid skeleton.

That aside, you need to decrease the quality a fair bit to get it to work in JKA and possibly OpenJK (not sure on this). 4k polys can easily be like 8k tris. I'd concentrate on getting a model that is optimized enough to work in-game and deforms the best it can, long before worrying about UV mapping or texturing.

This model won't deform very well, rigged against the standard player _humanoid skeleton.

That aside, you need to decrease the quality a fair bit to get it to work in JKA and possibly OpenJK (not sure on this). 4k polys can easily be like 8k tris. I'd concentrate on getting a model that is optimized enough to work in-game and deforms the best it can, long before worrying about UV mapping or texturing.

The game won't instantly crash on loading the model, the crash is related to the collision detection, you have to shoot or attack the model by other means to verify wether the error will occur. The error is also effected by the vertex count of the equipped weapon.

Also keep in mind that the base JKA Transform space limit is half that of the multiplayer limit.

Your droid also seems to have far more shading breaks/hard edges than his Scout model.

For your UV Unwrapping you could try to align as many of your seams along hard edges as possible, that way you van further reduce the amount of edgesplits your mesh will recieve on export.

I haven't gotten past the modeling phase just yet thankfully. I'll do my best to cut verts where I can though. And also about the collision stuff, we're testing our models in MB2, so there's plenty of collisions to be had!

DT85 and AshuraDX like this

I haven't gotten past the modeling phase just yet thankfully. I'll do my best to cut verts where I can though. And also about the collision stuff, we're testing our models in MB2, so there's plenty of collisions to be had!

I'd recommend to also test it in base jasp and base jamp.

The people that still run the base engine will love you for that.

Rmvsallen and minilogoguy18 like this

I finished up the rocket pack, gave it a different harness than what it had in the show because it looked uber flimsy like that. I instead gave it an over-the shoulder attachment like the regular droid backpack has.
I'm not sure if I want to model the little welder gun he has attached to his wrist unless anyone really wants that as an additional piece.

XBisKEm.jpg

Also something interesting I learned about the Clone Wars show is that they stylized their battledroid backpacks to only have one antenna, and it looks more like a brick. At first I thought the design changed after Episode 2, but in Episode 3 they have 2 antennas again. So I was wondering if anyone would want me to make a Clone Wars type backpack with just one antenna, or should we chock that up to the style of the show?

I did some optimizations per everyone's request, the full droid (with all the add ons at the same time) is 8,534 tris, 4,721 polygons and just the lone battledroid without anything but himself is 6,002 tris, 3,293 polygons

yeyo JK, Noodle, Delmi and 6 others like this

(I'm not sure the policy on double posting if I have a second update, should I just edit my last one?)

In the last post I asked if anyone wanted the clone wars style backpack, I made it anyway.

3xy3a5T.jpg

It looks different because of course in the show they have way less detail so I kind of gave it some extra edges so it looks more "movie-ish" I think it's a fun alternative backpack, even if it's not quite canon.

Delmi, Tompa9, Wasa and 4 others like this

Another update!

So my friend booted up republic commando today and it reminded me that I definitely want to make a skin of the rustic gray battle droid in that game, and up until this point I thought it was just that- a regular battle droid with a different paint job. I looked for myself and dang is it quite different! Some of it can be chocked up to low-poly modeling, but there are some things that are very different shapes.

GMwkw6A.jpg

So I did my best to try and interpret the polygons there and made an actual republic commando variant of the droid. Along the way I also found better ways to optimize the arms/legs of the regular droid, so it helped out anyway. All of the republic commando limbs are fewer polygons than the regular one too.

(I'm not sure the policy on double posting if I have a second update, should I just edit my last one?)

I don't think that we have any sort of official stance on doubleposting but I'd say that it's fine to do if you actually have an update on your project and do not just post another random 3 word message that does not contribute to the thread in any way.

Can't wait to see this textured btw ;)

Rmvsallen, Jolly and Langerd like this

Decided to do some googling and look up skin variants I can get. Once I have the regular texture down on it, different paint jobs will be easy cake sauce so I can literally do hundreds of them. But here's my initial skin list of things I want to see:

D1wcWFm.jpg

If you guys have any skin requests I'll throw them in there too because the more the merrier right? There's no limit on skin files as far as I know

Circa, Tompa9, Xanemus and 3 others like this

Decided to do some googling and look up skin variants I can get. Once I have the regular texture down on it, different paint jobs will be easy cake sauce so I can literally do hundreds of them. But here's my initial skin list of things I want to see:

D1wcWFm.jpg

If you guys have any skin requests I'll throw them in there too because the more the merrier right? There's no limit on skin files as far as I know

Oh my god! That will be B1 droid ultimate pack! I´m looking forward to see them in action! :D

D1wcWFm.jpg

Once you have the base model/texture done I'd be happy to help out with making some of the skin variants.

Rmvsallen likes this

Once you have the base model/texture done I'd be happy to help out with making some of the skin variants.

Ditto.

I'd also like to point out that there is also the Droid Engineer and Assassin from the classic SWBFII.

Also not to mention the new Heavy Droid from the newer Battlefront II.

Jeff likes this

Ditto.

I'd also like to point out that there is also the Droid Engineer and Assassin from the classic SWBFII.

Also not to mention the new Heavy Droid from the newer Battlefront II.

I thought the engineer and assassin were just pilot and security respectively?

I never noticed the one from the new game was more than just red, that's a cool paint scheme I'll throw in

Jolly likes this
  • 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...
15 hours ago, Coolin said:

any updates? its such a shame if this wont be continued

If there were any updates, @Rmvsallen would've probably provided them already. But since his last activity here was in February 2018, I doubt that we'll get any more updates. Maybe he has just moved on to other projects, which is not uncommon.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Update: about 90% of skins finished. Need to touch up a few for final passes, fix up a few sound clips. We're close.
In anticipation I wanted to share the dumb things I found while looking up battle droid references that I found entertaining. Some of these you may already know, but I never paid that deep of attention!

1. The commander droid from the movies are different from that of battlefront 2 and clone wars where they sport a yellow arm and sometimes a yellow back.
I think this is for visibility purposes so you can tell it's a commander from the side or back for gameplay readability.

Spoiler

PMd4Jwo.jpg

2. These regular coloured battle droids don't have backpacks, but in the previous shot they totally do. So either battle droids can take those off or a shift change happened between obi-wan going ham on them.
now there are OOM series battle droids that are more of a prototype which show up in galactic battlegrounds (the RTS age of empire star wars game) so it could be them.
or it could just be the animators had a hard time slicing through meshes back on 1999 computers so they said screw the backpacks.

Spoiler

tZoy88W.jpg

3. I don't understand battle droid serial numbers. Sometimes there's just a big black rectangle in them which isn't in the trade federation alphabet/numeric system. Is it a placeholder? Is it a dash? I have no idea. It's worth it to note that only in the movies do these droids have serial numbers. In all the cartoons their backpacks are usually blank, probably to save on budget. Once in awhile they'll say their number or somebody elses.
Bonus weirdness, I can't tell if there's any consistency to any of the numbers? Like the important commander droids have random numbers just like the rest of them. They aren't marked "OOM-9" on them or anything.

Spoiler

hqvSz3q.jpg

4. Qui-Gon does not honor melee duel.

Spoiler

7nPcsFO.jpg

5. This gungan punches this battle droid in the face for a solid 21 seconds. I can't tell if this shows us how weak gungans are or how hard it is to punch a robot to death.

Spoiler

QYCuX9j.jpg

6. The low-polygon battle droids in phantom menace are way too close to the camera and look so round!

Spoiler

uAZyKyZ.jpg

7. This is another 1138 reference in episode 2, but it's not on screen for very long. Makes me wonder how often these droids show up in the background but are just too quick to make out.

Spoiler

PhZPxqQ.jpg

Jolly, Circa, Torki and 4 others like this