Spawned npcs in custom game seem kind of lethargic.

I tried to recreate the Death Star scene from A New Hope by spawning npcs around the map, stormtroopers, Imperial officers, Vader, and the heroes, but the thing is, the npcs seem kind of dumb.  The friendly npcs only follow if I don't get too far ahead of them and they get stuck in corners(Ben refuses to follow Luke at all and stays where he spawned), while the enemies don't move around very much.  The stormtroopers will shoot but not pursue or strafe, and all the enemy npcs mainly stick to the area in which they were spawned.

Likewise, I also tried recreating the Cloud City scene from TESB with the Bespin map, but like on the Death Star map, Vader will not follow Luke or leave the general area he was spawned in.

Is there any way to make npcs more proactive?

The mod uses base Academy AI from what I can tell and that mod works to add alittle more to em but you need to know the npc's name in order to use them. Another note is that some of the maps have a weird barrier things which you can see with your crosshair as approaching them, which mean npcs can see past em.

Also, something worth mentioning - NPCs aren't exactly team players at the moment. I spawned 20 NPCs to help me fight a mutant_rancor, and over half of them were just sitting in the sidelines doing absolutely nothing. Perhaps someone could fix this for KotF and JKA via coding?

I was reading something about maps having waypoints in order for npcs to know their way around.  Could it be that a lot of the maps don't have any yet, preventing the npcs from really moving far from where they were spawned? 

Of course waypoint or navpoints are on only JK2 and JKA sp maps. Yeah some custom sp maps have them but most of the maps are kinda sketchy on them. But I have always wanted navpoints for some of these great maps, but that doesn't fix the weird barriers that some maps like Mustafar v2 has.

Is there something else that allows npcs to move around the map in custom sp maps?  Or are they generally like they are in KotF, sticking to their spawn point for the most part?  My experience since making this topic is basic enemies are the least responsive.  Stormtroopers hardly react until you're right up in their face, and they really don't move from their spawn points at all.  Sith Lords and other major enemies are a little more proactive though, they at least leap at you if you get far enough away from them, but like all npcs they stop following entirely if anything blocks their line of sight.

Is there something else that allows npcs to move around the map in custom sp maps?  Or are they generally like they are in KotF, sticking to their spawn point for the most part?  My experience since making this topic is basic enemies are the least responsive.  Stormtroopers hardly react until you're right up in their face, and they really don't move from their spawn points at all.  Sith Lords and other major enemies are a little more proactive though, they at least leap at you if you get far enough away from them, but like all npcs they stop following entirely if anything blocks their line of sight.

It's a limitation of the jedi academy AI. Only way to improve them is through scripts.

It's a limitation of the jedi academy AI. Only way to improve them is through scripts.

One thing I noticed is when I spawned some of the KotF npcs in a regular Jedi Academy level, the friendly npcs were pretty good about following me around hallway turns and navigating other obstacles.  Other than waypoints and navgoals, what would it take for npcs to be able to navigate the maps that well?

Also, in GTK Radiant, there are NPC AI scripts built in. I solved the problem of NPCs in the sideline by having them use the "huntkill" script to hunt down the enemy and kill them.

What does the huntkill script do(besides obviously causing them to hunt and kill their targets)?

One thing I noticed is when I spawned some of the KotF npcs in a regular Jedi Academy level, the friendly npcs were pretty good about following me around hallway turns and navigating other obstacles.  Other than waypoints and navgoals, what would it take for npcs to be able to navigate the maps that well?

That is because it is all tided to the .nav files to maps. ALL JA/JK2 sp maps have .navs so npcs aren't that bad unless you got a map that doesn't have a .nav. So the only way I see fixing the problem is adding in nav nodes to the maps. Even just goal points could help it abit.

• 10 months later...

So, I'm rather new to this and this seems to be an old thread, but I'll ask anyway. I tried running the script shown, but the game can't ever find the targetname, even when I name them and stuff. Am I missing something?

When spawning an npc from the console, the syntax is as follows:

Npc spawn (npc name) (alignment) (targetname)

Alignments are as follows:

Light_side

Dark_side

Light_side_follow

Dark_side_follow

Neutral_side

Free_side

Solo_side

Maksman likes this