Level 13: Lost planet of the Jedi

• 2 months later...

Feel free to use grass sprites, we have them working (just no movement) in the new renderer and they receive shadows. Check out my test rend2 map for an example grass sprite shader.

Id love to get peoples opinion of this style for the underground caves section.

I wanted to create a more natural view of the underground caves contrasting with the harsher tones of outside.

I just want to see if people would like it.

BBafvks.jpg

WmjfOzq.png

That looks great.

Taking liberties at some areas for a more realistic feel is a perfect approach. Not everything has to exactly look like the original. Otherwise, you might as well just play the original game the map is based on.

hhunter6 and SomaZ like this

The player will have light amp goggles but problem is, it needs a glsl shader to work and it may be some time before somaz can get around to it.

Glowing crystals would be cooler though. :P

While working on the lighting, you might want to test how it looks using the new Rend2 renderer, found in the current version of the DF2 mod. I've noticed that the new renderer has a slightly different visual appearance, besides just adding graphical features. Light seems to not reach as far, for instance, and dark areas look a bit darker. So if you only test in base JKA, you might be surprised to see how different your map looks in the final version of the mod.

These differences are just from my experience of using the new renderer, without changing any settings. Different is not bad, but maybe there are tweaks we can do to control these differences, depending on the visual needs of each map?

While working on the lighting, you might want to test how it looks using the new Rend2 renderer, found in the current version of the DF2 mod. I've noticed that the new renderer has a slightly different visual appearance, besides just adding graphical features. Light seems to not reach as far, for instance, and dark areas look a bit darker. So if you only test in base JKA, you might be surprised to see how different your map looks in the final version of the mod.

These differences are just from my experience of using the new renderer, without changing any settings. Different is not bad, but maybe there are tweaks we can do to control these differences, depending on the visual needs of each map?

Hm, Im currently fiddling around with lighting. So dont expect anything you see right now to be final. (Was pretty dark I know, but already changed that) Lighting will need a complete overhaul by default because vanilla uses lightmaps that are pretty limited in terms of light value range. This will just look half assed if we would keep the system like it is right now. Also some effects will change appearance like tonemapping or autoexposure. We can still use your light setups for the new system I'm building, so it's still great if you light the maps. The final outcome will look slightly different though.

Sweet I had a feeling that I the light system would change. So my goal is to present a finished level in base JKA. That can be used as a template for you guys to add to. So i will light it how I would usually, as to set the correct emotion and tone.

SomaZ likes this
  • 3 weeks later...

With all the fast progress on the other levels happening I thought Id post some pics.

I've actually finished the first pass of the level.

After discussing some technical points with DT85 I have started to make a new pass, locking down how the level is put together.

So these pics aren't super new or exciting. But they show progress.  :)

x2CEC6z.jpg

cfo0fpA.jpg

TjK52K2.jpg

xzcpz7k.jpg

joVAzpA.jpg

• 1 year later...