Star Wars Tabletop RPG by Fantasy Flight Games

swg_slider.jpg

So I don't think I've seen a topic discussing this before.

Just wondering if anyone in the JKHub community has ever played the Star Wars tabletop RPG by Fantasy Flight Games: https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/starwarsrpg/

For those who don't know what is meant by the term 'tabletop RPG' just think of Dungeons & Dragons but in the galaxy far far away.

I recently got into it and have just started GMing a solo campaign with a friend - any other players here or folks considering trying it out?

Let discussion commence!

Smoo likes this
For those who don't know what is meant by the term 'tabletop RPG' just think of Dungeons & Dragons but in the galaxy far far away.

But what if we don't know of even D&D? :huh:

Seriously though, I never played either. I did have a couple of tabletop rpg's back when I was a kid, but never bothered to play them 'correctly'. Never met a kid who did, in fact :D

Guess they just weren't popular enough in our part of the world and just came along with mostly everything else that was popular in the West once the iron curtain fell. A bit of a shame really, now I want to play a tabletop RPG, but there's still no-one to play with. Not to mention that I'm supposed to be a responsible adult and get a job instead of playing even video-games. Eh.

Jeff and Noodle like this

Never heard of it. Sounds interesting though, although I don't play tabletop RPGs.

I've heard of it and it looks like fun, but I've never played anything like it before. 

This was pretty much me until a few months ago. I think the Internet has really helped let things like this gain popularity. There are dedicate sites (like Roll20.net) designed entirely to facilitate RPG groups, so you know longer need to worry about meeting up in person with the same group each week. You can just boot up Skype, log in to a gaming website and get started.

But what if we don't know of even D&D? :huh:

Seriously though, I never played either. I did have a couple of tabletop rpg's back when I was a kid, but never bothered to play them 'correctly'. Never met a kid who did, in fact :D

Guess they just weren't popular enough in our part of the world and just came along with mostly everything else that was popular in the West once the iron curtain fell. A bit of a shame really, now I want to play a tabletop RPG, but there's still no-one to play with. Not to mention that I'm supposed to be a responsible adult and get a job instead of playing even video-games. Eh.

If you want to try it out I recommend checking out Roll20. There's a lot of games out there and they even come with a filter system so you can find ones listed as "beginner friendly" for those wanting to learn the ropes.

Tabletop RPGs are a great way to develop your skills as a narrator, I enjoy them quite a lot, though I have only played DND a couple times.

Definitely agree with this. I was aware of DnD but never played it as the rules are an absolute behemoth and it is very focused on dice rolls and what specific results mean. The Star Wars game has its own 'narrative dice system' where the story and collaboration between the GM and the players are balanced against the dice results. It's hard to explain without seeing it in action but the result is less "I strike the enemy with my +4 Axe of Icefire" and feels far more like a scene from a Star Wars movie.

Heck, if there's enough interest I could even look into setting up a group of Hub members to play a campaign.

Jeff, Smoo and the_raven like this
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm playing my first real campaign at the moment, we do it on Friday's every 2 weeks. So our second session is coming up on the 9th. I'm having fun as its something that's always sounded intriguing to me, and I've seen others play it more recent but I'm just now really getting involved myself.

Kualan, Noodle and Smoo like this

I don't know anyone local who'd play if I asked, not that I know how to play.

I recommend having a look on Roll20 - it allows you to play online and you can even filter searches by game/timezone preferences and whether or not games are happy to take on first-timers (most are!)

Noodle likes this