Player Modeling, Too Many Verts??

Go to solution Solved by AshuraDX,

Alright.. I'm stumped. <_<

I'm trying to port this model and everything seems to be going ok in 3ds max as far as weights, hierarchy, and meshs/verts go. It exports with no problems (as far as I know), I go to Modview to check it out and it tells me I have too many verts (1679 to be exact).

Ok.. well except the total verts overall is only 1771 and the biggest mesh on there only has 304 verts and I have DEFINITELY done a model with more than that!

I've tried looking around here for the same topic and found a couple things to try, like make sure there aren't overlapping vertices or isolated verts. There were only 2 overlappings... and no isolated verts so the model is clean, that and it would tell me in the vert count if there were more.

I use 3ds Max 2015 with Scoopers glm importer/exporter for 3ds max 2015 and have been for a few models with no issues (no I haven't submitted them all ;) ). There aren't any settings to really change with the exporter or importer, it just asks for the _humanoid.gla file location and that's it.

Well any ideas where Modview is getting 1679 verts on a single surface when there aren't that many on any one of them?

Smoothing groups done the old fashioned way could cause this (splitting faces) but you already said you checked for overlapping. You could apply a stl check to each mesh and make sure there are no open edges or simply check each mesh in "border" sub object selection mode. Does modview give a name to the problem mesh or simply says too many verts? Did you follow the basic hierarchy naming convention for each limb?

says

"R_LoadMDXM: models/players/ff_chaos/model.glm has more than 1000 verts on a surface (1679)"

basically just says too many verts and no specifics

and yes i named the basic parts what they should be (l_leg, r_leg, torso, hips, head, r_arm, l_arm, ect.) double checked that and my spelling a few times to make sure i didnt just typo it

says

"R_LoadMDXM: models/players/ff_chaos/model.glm has more than 1000 verts on a surface (1679)"

basically just says too many verts and no specifics

and yes i named the basic parts what they should be (l_leg, r_leg, torso, hips, head, r_arm, l_arm, ect.) double checked that and my spelling a few times to make sure i didnt just typo it

Naming them correctly is one thing but are they parented correctly in the hierarchy too? For example, you don't have everything parented directly to model_root do you?

@@DarthJava Scoopers plugin occasionall creates a huge amount of random edge splits. However: You should not underestimate the number of extra vertices created by edgesplits along UV Seams.

Which version of 3ds max do you use? Can you save the scene in a .max format for 3ds max 2016 or older?

If so I'll take a closer look.

@@Kualan no lol, in this case basically what I'm doing is taking an existing skeleton (with the tags) and rigging a player model to it, I detach the parts of it so I have a head, torso, 2 arms, 2 hands and 2 legs and parenting them to the stupid triangle. I've used this process a few times now and haven't had problems with other player models.

@@AshuraDX seems odd it would do it now for no apparent reason since there's nothing to change as far as settings go. I use 3ds max 2015 and I'll see if I can.

@@Kualan no lol, in this case basically what I'm doing is taking an existing skeleton (with the tags) and rigging a player model to it, I detach the parts of it so I have a head, torso, 2 arms, 2 hands and 2 legs and parenting them to the stupid triangle. I've used this process a few times now and haven't had problems with other player models.

@@AshuraDX seems odd it would do it now for no apparent reason since there's nothing to change as far as settings go. I use 3ds max 2015 and I'll see if I can.

3ds max 2015 is older than 2016 - so I can load your scene files.

Anyway - yes his importer and exporter do some very strange stuff. They're far from perfect.

I'm starting to wonder if it's the model itself, since it's a port it might be kinda jacked up by jk3s standards. It also doesn't have a standard "spread eagle" pose... here's the link of the model https://www.models-resource.com/psp/dissidia012duodecimfinalfantasy/model/1225/

At first when I saw it i thought exactly what the rest of you probably will think.. wtf!? That won't work! Well I managed to get him posed proper but... Well obviously there's something else I'm not seeing, kinda wondering if it just has to do with the model itself. At some time somebody else was able to port the warrior of light from the same sight and the same game and succeeded, it also had a more proper pose..

• Solution
Okay so, I took a look.

The problemmesh was very obvious and easy to identify.

dMaw62fl.png

The torso's mesh normals are completely screwed up.

Every hard edge between two faces causes the exporter to make a split there and duplicate the vertices along the edge. That torso has all edges set as hard.

To fix it, go to the modifier List and add an editable poly modifier below your skin modifier. That should reset/recalculate the mesh normals and solve the problem.

Alright.. I'm stumped. <_<

I'm trying to port this model and everything seems to be going ok in 3ds max as far as weights, hierarchy, and meshs/verts go. It exports with no problems (as far as I know), I go to Modview to check it out and it tells me I have too many verts (1679 to be exact).

Ok.. well except the total verts overall is only 1771 and the biggest mesh on there only has 304 verts and I have DEFINITELY done a model with more than that!

I've tried looking around here for the same topic and found a couple things to try, like make sure there aren't overlapping vertices or isolated verts. There were only 2 overlappings... and no isolated verts so the model is clean, that and it would tell me in the vert count if there were more.

I use 3ds Max 2015 with Scoopers glm importer/exporter for 3ds max 2015 and have been for a few models with no issues (no I haven't submitted them all ;) ). There aren't any settings to really change with the exporter or importer, it just asks for the _humanoid.gla file location and that's it.

Well any ideas where Modview is getting 1679 verts on a single surface when there aren't that many on any one of them?

From what game this model come?