Battlefront 2 maps?

This porting craze is starting to get ridiculous...

If you are talking about the new SW Battlefront 2 the answer is clearly no.

For .. (i am sorry but) fuck sake . I know that this is again - another rant about ports and another rant about the porting stuff to the jedi academy .... This time i cant shut up.

I check jkhub everyday and i see at least one topic about port - port from battlefront, port from force unleashed.. port from force arena .. the list goes on.... I remember the times when under the every model for this game .. there was author in the credits. Sometimes two or three of them (you understand what i mean). But i knew that model that i am looking at or the model that i take and put in my base folder - is 100% work from scratch.. The Jk2-jk3 communities specially modding communities were huge and they created ton of amazing inspiring and cool models,maps,textures and even sp /mp modifications (huge modifications). What is just beyond me .. that at these times many programs and possibilities were MUCH MUCH lower and it was harder to even make something like this - These models were ... hell hard to made i believe. For Jk2 some models were so hard to make that textures on the model was a goddamn pain.. There were no possibilities like now to change the scale of uvlayouts or even edit them .. It was.. very hard to do it the nutshell (very f@cking hard...)

Now i see - ports .. ports everywhere .. and many discussions about is this good or bad? Or maybe is it ok when most of people dont have time for making original and work from scratch models.. Like i am sorry but for me (and i may sound like a prick and rude ) making models with ports and used models because there is no time to make something from scratch - is not excuse for me to kill originality of this game and the past modding community that made a ton of a lot models from scratch.. with heart and love to modding and game and star wars in general

.. Even skins that looked funny or dumb but many artists made so amazing looking skins that they looked completely diffrent.. like a goddamn make up. Simple changes.

this is most important -> I will not stop people from making these and i dont have rights and most importantly - i dont have will .. i dont want to .. to make people stop putting requests,wips or even topics. You love this game and you want to put something that you like.

But i will only.. recommend one thing - Keep.. the orignality alive before it is too late. If You are taking a model from diffrent game .. completelty. JUST ADD SOMETHING original.. not just copy paste .. with shadless textures or bad weightning technique or crappy looking shaders that were made in the second.. to make.. him.. glow or something...

This is sad for me and i am not longer happy from what i see in our forum sections. I just want to say that for me .. this entire porting-modding is taking a bad path

It would probably be possible technically, if the geometry of the models was reduced to an acceptable amount for the limits of JA (in this regard, Blender can decimate the geometry, although the results might not be that good), and if the textures and shaders were fixed so that they don't look too bad.

It would probably be possible technically, if the geometry of the models was reduced to an acceptable amount for the limits of JA (in this regard, Blender can decimate the geometry, although the results might not be that good), and if the textures and shaders were fixed so that they don't look too bad.

As far as i know shadows and lights are not painted or made on the model's textures nowadays. They are generated from actually light sources and overall lighting render techniques which in older games worked not as good. So if someone want to put the models form newest battlefront and have a nice looking textures - they need to visit photoshop or another program and start adding lights and shadows on skin,clothes etc.

As far as i know shadows and lights are not painted or made on the model's textures nowadays. They are generated from actually light sources and overall lighting render techniques which in older games worked not as good. So if someone want to put the models form newest battlefront and have a nice looking textures - they need to visit photoshop or another program and start adding lights and shadows on skin,clothes etc.

Yes, but there are probably also normal maps and specular maps that could be used somehow - if not directly, at least serving as a basis for manual improvements.

Langerd likes this

Yes, but there are probably also normal maps and specular maps that could be used somehow - if not directly, at least serving as a basis for manual improvements.

Yeah! thery are like guide for this render to generate the look on the model properly. It is cool that they found this awesome method to give a flat texture a feel of depth and realism

I don't think we ever had a Dagobah map for JKA. Correct me if I'm wrong on that, but isn't the only one ever truly made an MB2 exclusive or something?

If there's a Dagobah map for MB2 then we need that for JKA since half of the work would already be done.

For .. (i am sorry but) fuck sake . I know that this is again - another rant about ports and another rant about the porting stuff to the jedi academy .... This time i cant shut up. 

I check jkhub everyday and i see at least one topic about port - port from battlefront, port from force unleashed.. port from force arena .. the list goes on.... I remember the times when under the every model for this game .. there was author in the credits. Sometimes two or three of them (you understand what i mean).  But i knew that model that i am looking at or the model that i take and put in my base folder - is 100% work from scratch.. The Jk2-jk3 communities specially modding communities were huge and they created ton of amazing inspiring and cool models,maps,textures and even sp /mp modifications (huge modifications). What is just beyond me .. that at these times many programs and possibilities were MUCH MUCH lower and it was harder to even make something like this - These models were ... hell hard to made i believe. For Jk2 some models were so hard to make that textures on the model was a goddamn pain.. There were no possibilities like now to change the scale of uvlayouts or even edit them .. It was.. very hard to do it the nutshell (very f@cking hard...)

Now i see - ports .. ports everywhere .. and many discussions about is this good or bad? Or maybe is it ok when most of people dont have time for making original and work from scratch models.. Like i am sorry but for me (and i may sound like a prick and rude ) making models with ports and used models because there is no time to make something from scratch - is not excuse for me to kill originality of this game and the past modding community that made a ton of a lot models from scratch.. with heart and love to modding and game and star wars in general

.. Even skins that looked funny or dumb but many artists made so amazing looking skins that they looked completely diffrent.. like a goddamn make up. Simple changes. 

this is most important -> I will not stop people from making these and i dont have rights and most importantly - i dont have will .. i dont want to .. to make people stop putting requests,wips or even topics. You love this game and you want to put something that you like.

But i will only.. recommend one thing - Keep.. the orignality alive before it is too late. If You are taking a model from diffrent game .. completelty. JUST ADD SOMETHING original.. not just copy paste .. with shadless textures or bad weightning technique or crappy looking shaders that were made in the second.. to make.. him.. glow or something... 

This is sad for me and i am not longer happy from what i am see in our forum sections. I just want to say that for me .. this entire porting-modding is taking a bad path

Sounds like something that should be on the starting page, eh? :rolleyes:

The Battlefront maps have a totally different scale. On top of the fact that EA's EULA doesn't have the same clauses the "Disney" EULA does, they just wouldn't be fun in JKA. Even older school stuff just wouldn't play the same, or even enjoyably.

Are we talking about the ORIGINAL Battlefront 2 by Viceral? Or are we talking about EA's Pay to win mess? Cause if it's the latter, no. The former, however, I can see as possible to add into JKA. :)

By "Viceral" I assume you mean Pandemic Studios.

Porting will, just like mapping, skinning and coding, be always part of the equation. The question which should be asked is, will the ported version do justice to its original counterpart?

Part of what a map (or maps) make great, is the original engine the specific map was developed for. Both engine and map are on that level so intertwined within each other, that any port will forcibly separate this twin and often for the worse.

To name some examples:

Crossfire

Great map for Half-Life, wouldn't work with Jedi Academy unless the environment of Half-Life was ported to Jedi Academy itself regarding pacing.

de_Dust2

Originally for Counter-Strike, has been ported by Valve themselves to Counter-Strike: Source and CS:Global Offense to mixed reactions and I played version for Jedi Acdemy (moviebattles I think), which I felt somewhat lacking.

Facing Worlds

Originally for Unreal Tournament (1999 version), have seen a port for an idtech3 game (I believe it was Quake3) but lacked the sophistication the UT version had.

AliensTC

The original made by Justin Fisher, doesn't need any introduction unless you are born in the zeroes. Altough it has been ported to Doom II, it wasn't designed for it (supershotgun). Quake was looming at the time of its release and I say that AliensTC just wouldn't work in Quake or any other game that was available during that time.

ffa_bespin

A classic from Jedi Outcast, although an unofficial port exists for Jedi Academy. I have mixed feelings about this port, since I feel that the JA multiplayer is entirely different then JO multiplayer which makes the JA version 'lacking'.

In some cases, people do port their own work towards other games. The create of FFA_episode1 made several idtech3 ports available (JA, JO and EF from the top of my head) and I made most of my Elite Force works available for Jedi Academy (with Jedi Outcast versions coming soon) but I'm realistic enough to see not every port I made will be just as successful as its original counterpart. On the other hand, everyone needs a hobby ;)

Signature.jpg

Porting will, just like mapping, skinning and coding, be always part of the equation. The question which should be asked is, will the ported version do justice to its original counterpart?

Part of what a map (or maps) make great, is the original engine the specific map was developed for. Both engine and map are on that level so intertwined within each other, that any port will forcibly separate this twin and often for the worse.

To name some examples:

Crossfire

Great map for Half-Life, wouldn't work with Jedi Academy unless the environment of Half-Life was ported to Jedi Academy itself regarding pacing.

de_Dust2

Originally for Counter-Strike, has been ported by Valve themselves to Counter-Strike: Source and CS:Global Offense to mixed reactions and I played version for Jedi Acdemy (moviebattles I think), which I felt somewhat lacking.

Facing Worlds

Originally for Unreal Tournament (1999 version), have seen a port for an idtech3 game (I believe it was Quake3) but lacked the sophistication the UT version had.

AliensTC

The original made by Justin Fisher, doesn't need any introduction unless you are born in the zeroes. Altough it has been ported to Doom II, it wasn't designed for it (supershotgun). Quake was looming at the time of its release and I say that AliensTC just wouldn't work in Quake or any other game that was available during that time.

ffa_bespin

A classic from Jedi Outcast, although an unofficial port exists for Jedi Academy. I have mixed feelings about this port, since I feel that the JA multiplayer is entirely different then JO multiplayer which makes the JA version 'lacking'.

In some cases, people do port their own work towards other games. The create of FFA_episode1 made several idtech3 ports available (JA, JO and EF from the top of my head) and I made most of my Elite Force works available for Jedi Academy (with Jedi Outcast versions coming soon) but I'm realistic enough to see not every port I made will be just as successful as its original counterpart. On the other hand, everyone needs a hobby ;)

And .. it would all be very diffrent if they would add something star wars like or change for example crossfire to the imperial bunker- or mustafar map. 

The Dust has very long distances - specially for mapping.. for the game like JK3 most of players use lightsabers.

The only map i would like to see is Facing Worlds - but for jk it would need some changes . 

EDIT: But changes.... to the facing world would be   

• 4 weeks later...

I disagree. Does it really matter whether it does any justice? Modders make ports of all kinds all the time, it is what it is.

Raven designed levels to try and mimic the movie scenes. I think you can have any level on any game on any engine just to try it out. It doesn't mean that levels were 'geared' for an engine, if that is what you're implying.

This is sad for me and i am not longer happy from what i am see in our forum sections. I just want to say that for me .. this entire porting-modding is taking a bad path 

I think what Langerd is saying is that he would like to see more original works, like Langerd does. You can make those levels: In your OWN version, from scratch. It takes effort and time. Hell, I could make a ton of new textures, shaders and levels to satisfy a huge urge for new material. I have time to do it. Do I want to? Sort of...lol. (I have posted this before over the last few years :P ) You know, with the amount of talent and time and energy poured into these mods, all you guys could have designed and built a JK3 by now, just sayin.... 

I disagree. Does it really matter whether it does any justice?

I definitely think it does. Part of the success of a total conversion, is how well the modteam can incorporate the elements that made the original so great into their version. Whether it is its gameplay, atmosphere or a dozen other aspects, if your mod is crap then no-one will play it and most likely you'll be burned at the stake for "doing what you did with the franchise", etc, etc.

Not only in gaming is this an important factor. It also exists in films and TV shows. Try imagining someone re-doing "The Godfather", "Centennial" or the original "Star Wars" . . . wait :huh:

Modders make ports of all kinds all the time, it is what it is.

They do and there is nothing wrong with it and as long as it is original content, then there shall be comparisation between your work and its original counterpart. The moment you base your mod on existing material (such as games, films or TV series), then people will compare that what you have made with that which they have seen . . .

Raven designed levels to try and mimic the movie scenes. I think you can have any level on any game on any engine just to try it out. It doesn't mean that levels were 'geared' for an engine, if that is what you're implying.

Altough certain maps may not have been 'geared' for a specific game, they were made for that particular game at the time and found their popularity because of that specific game. I had the same experience with my own "Asteroid Base" map.

I designed and released this map for Elite Force back in 2004/2005 and people still associate it with Elite Force (I frequently get e-mails about it) despite the fact that I released a port to Jedi Academy in 2015 (and by doing so: introducing Star Trek in Star Wars, the blasphemy!). The map's layout, geometry and look & feel will work with other Idtech3 games as well since it remains a good deathmatch map (altough with its heavy Star Trek design), but people will always remember its first incantation and that is the first time they encounter a game with a map . . .

Hell, I could make a ton of new textures, shaders and levels to satisfy a huge urge for new material. I have time to do it. Do I want to? Sort of...lol.

What taking you ?? I could always use some new textures (and models) !! :P:D

Signature.jpg

Apologies for hijack GP. I love BF2! I would love to see BF type levels but they are mostly open air. And from my experience, I've used multiple sky_portals with Landscaped ASE to try and lessen the effect of an environmental "BOX". POV= ground, foreground, midground, background. Sprites from hell.. okay that was all Endor but you get the idea.