Jedi academy black screen

Sounds like an ATI extensions problem.

Here's one possible fix from the Lucasforums. Seems like the post has been updated in 2012, so it might work. (http://lucasforums.c...ad.php?t=206018)

Also, as i recall, the 10.4 fix worked as long as you used 10.x drivers. So, you might get it to work if you downgraded from 12.x or 11.x drivers to 10.x drivers. There's a more detailed post about it at The Jedi Academy site. (http://www.thejediac....php?f_id=17700)

Hope at least one of them works.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, sorry for double post, but I have confirmed that this must be an OpenGL problem stopping jka!

I just recently got the original half life, and I had the same black screen problem as jka! So therefore, I tried running it in a window, 256 colours, and some other settings. The game then had problems with the rendering, so it then said it would render in "software mode". I then found out that it was originally rendering with OpenGL! I disabled all those other settings like 256 colours and stuff, and now the game works just fine. So therefore comes the question:

Is there a way to run jka without OpenGL? Perhaps D3D or something?

open GL is usually better then direct3d these days, but sometimes newer cards drop elements that enabled "legacy modes" for older applications, ive yet to try JA on my netbook yet, as it uses the Intel Chipset for video, but the HDMI out is handy, the machine wont run some older game, they just explode the models, but DX10 type games seem to work fine, DX9 or DX8 seem to screw up royally for me, the hardware is openGL based in my case. so I maybe facing the same issue as you soon

It has to run JA since I can map while im not home, and its not useful if I cant test the work for me

Hmm...so what can I do about this? I know updating drivers won't work (creates even more problems anyway) ...is there even anything I can do? This doesn't just affect JKA, it's affecting every game that uses OpenGL.

Is there any kind of workaround?

Hmm...so what can I do about this? I know updating drivers won't work (creates even more problems anyway) ...is there even anything I can do? This doesn't just affect JKA, it's affecting every game that uses OpenGL.

Is there any kind of workaround?

Perhaps try older drivers then - ones that came out nearer the ja period, so circa 2004-5?

another option is to remove the driver completely and use a driver scrubber to remove old driver isntallations, then reinstall your driver from either driver disk or from the site of manufactor, Nvidia is famous for having to delete older drivers to install newer versions,

i'll be looking into the matter though since now I see it as a challange, and I like them when it comes to pc diagnostics

good ol run command and the dxdiag will tell you what all the specs are, model, make etc what your current video driver is etc

give that a run and copy and paste or post a screen of what the system says the specs are.

• 7 months later...

Nope, still didn't work. My computer just doesn't seem to like openGL or something. I still don't understand how I got Star Trek Elite Force work without the black screen, considering they use the same source engine.

Yep, just did that. The whole windowed screen is black. Still hear all the sounds, can open the console, etc, but I just don't see anything. I'm honestly not sure what the problem is. Is there any way I can attach a screenshot?

EDIT: Oh, just to be sure this isn't misinterpreted, the whole screen is black, even when I open the console I can't see it. I can't see nothing, not the mouse pointer, menu, logo, NOTHING.

EDIT 2: Theres another thing you should know. I had to use GLDirect for jedi academy to run on my old laptop, and am still using it here. Without it, elite force won't run either. 

EDIT 3: Does jedi academy use vertex/pixel shaders at all? Are they required to run it successfully?

Already tried that Raz0r, still the same thing. A black screen with sound...hmm...well at least now I know I don't need GLDirect to run JKA on this computer...but it seems elite force won't run without it...this is getting weird. Is there anything else I can do? I've tried disabling the video card in device manager, still doesn't work. 

Hmm...just some more info for everyone:

-In project64, if I use the Glide64 (openGL) plugin, the emulator will crash.

-As well, when running the visualboyadvance emulator, if I select openGL as the render method, the emulator will crash.

But even with these problems, it still doesn't explain how I am able to get Star Trek Elite Force working when it uses the quake 3 engine just like jka..

http://jkhub.org/topic/2255-whats-with-my-graphics-card/

I created a new topic for the elite force thing, I should have posted it here though.

Is there anything else I can do?