Jedi academy black screen

Hey everyone, I just got a new laptop and I put jka on it.

However, when I load up the game, there is no splash logo, or the lucasarts symbol video.

I can fully hear all the sounds, I can even click and move the mouse around the main menu, but I can't see a darn thing!

Heres my comp specs:

Windows 7 Home premium

Service pack 1

AMD Turion 64 x2 mobile technology TL-58 1.90Ghz

2.00 GB (RAM)

32 bit operating system

I've tried running jka in windowed mode, changing the compatibility, not much seems to work.

(I haven't installed the windows update yet, as the comp is brand new, I'll try that, but I'm not sure if that is the problem)

Help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I seem to recall a similar problem when i was using a custom res at some point, but it only effected the menus and splashes. What happens if you open the console and blindly connect to somewhere via command? (eg /connect z3n.jk3.in) Can you see the actual game?

In addition to checking what Inyri said, try updating the driver for your video card. Also check on JKA's properties and try clicking "running as administrator" and "Run this program in compatibility mode for Windows XP (SP2)" underneath the compatibility tab.

I am using a cd copy of the game.

I have ran it as administrator and on xp service pack 2

The game is already updated to 1.01

I connected to /connect z3n.jk3.in, but the screen remained black. I have also updated my video drivers, which got haloce to work again, but still jka remains black.

ive never had JA screw up in windows 7, at least pro and ultimate both 64 bit editions, since pro and ult support XP functions still home, I think you need to DL that support seperately, not sure i havent played with my 32 bit hom edition yet

but try Cal's ideas, ever since vista windows has been grumpy on what it wants to run

I already tried that caelum, the r_primitives, the ATI_universal_fix, even the quake3.exe thing in multiple ways. (I used a different way which I took an old 10.4 catalist file or something and put it in gamedata, still same result.

Edit: Anything else I can do?

Caelum likes this

I'm pretty sure thats not the issue, I copied all the assets directly from another computer via usb. I've done it before and it has worked. But for some reason this time it's not running on windows 7.

i have a problem with swjkja

i played it for the first time on windows xp and it worked fine but since i started to playing on windows 7 i can hear the sounds in the game but the screen is totally black

i dont know what to do

i tried looking on the other forums but nothing worked

i was looking a solution for 2 hours

anyway i have windows 7 64-bit

any suggestion what to do?

Here is another guy with the same problems as me, from that forum link I posted earlier

wait, some oldergames, you need to use the classic windows theme, try that, seriously windows 7 and vista's dynamic theme's screw with older games, causing graphical issues usually, this is very true in games that could use direct draw, but JA shouldnt have this, but try classic theme just to be sure, or possibly check under compatability "disable advanced visual/text" for this game

wait, some oldergames, you need to use the classic windows theme, try that, seriously windows 7 and vista's dynamic theme's screw with older games, causing graphical issues usually, this is very true in games that could use direct draw, but JA shouldnt have this, but try classic theme just to be sure, or possibly check under compatability "disable advanced visual/text" for this game

Tried doing classic theme, and the "disable advanced visual/text", didn't work.

When you mentioned the direct draw, I had an issue related to halo not being able to start up because of this, but I fixed it by updating video drivers. Still, jka runs, sound but no picture. Hmm...I wonder what the problem is?

Edit: I have a question:

Who here who is running jka on windows 7 have the C++ packages on your comp? This might have something to do with it...maybe...

Edit 2: Oh by the way, I have a ATI Radeon x1200 card, if that provides any clue to the problem.

JA wont run in DX11, if i recall older games and apps have to run in an emulated DX10, unless they're engine will support DX11, recently on windows 7 pro, 32-bit ive been having some older games, have some interesting graphical issues, menus work etc, but when you get into a session, the game spazzes out and the models are basicly exploded and all rendored wrong, fun times in windows 7

Will it work if I install DX9? And will 9 automatically work over 11? Or do I have to disable 11 or something?

EDIT:

I'm downloading directx 9.0c right now. I'm not sure if the game will default to using directx 11.

EDIT 2:

Also, how do I disable directx11?